Where do you do your food shopping

Sheepy19: we would love to spend less money!! What stuff do you buy? If we were vegetarian then I guess we could reduce our bill by quite alot.

To avoid getting bored with SW I make a conscious effort to vary the food we eat every week!!

Like I say I would be much better off if we had a standard size fridge freezer instead of one with a little freezer part.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Yeah we've got the same problem, its a rented place so the freezer's really small and even if we could buy ourselves a bigger one there's just nowhere to put it! I keep a bit of chicken in there, some peas, Quorn pieces and stuff, then try to fit boxes of leftovers in that we can have when we're in a rush/to take to college. Its bursting at the seams at the minute!

sheepy19 said:
Thats a lot of money for 2 people! I feed me, my partner and 3 cats on £45 and only buy organic and free range!

Wow, that's good! I know I probably overspend at roughly £150 a week for 2 adults and 2 young kids plus 1 cat. The cat alone is probably a good £10 - £15 a week (he is a large breed cat and uses cat litter though). Is that just your food or does it include general stuff such as cleaning bits, shampoo, booze (not that we're alchies or anything :D )? If it's all in, I'm also really interested what you have for meals, could do with slashing my bill too!

I do cheese and ham omelette for dinner, maybe some potato with it and veg. I have bran flakes for most lunches or a turkey sandwich. Mullerlights for dessert. My partner has more processed stuff than me, so I get that stuff on offer. We don't eat much meat because we only eat the ethical stuff and can't afford much of it. I get the cheap hovis loaves. We don't drink any alchohol or smoke. I buy the cheapest cat litter, felix or whiskas on offer and crunchies on offer. Just about everything I buy has some sort of good ofefr on it, don't know how I manage the £45 a week, but I do! Also if we're near running out of food before the week is up, we just make do with whatever is left and don't buy mroe supplies.

If your not counting washing powder etc then it is easy to do a shop on less than £50.

There is only 2 of us here during the week 3 at weekend and I spend about £5 a day on food.It's all the other things that add up.
Yeah but you don't have to buy a box of washing powder every week do you? We buy one of those great big boxes for about £10 on offer and it lasts forever. I get the cheapy dishwasher tablets, so for about £1.50 I get a months worth of dishwasher use. If you're frugal, cleaning products can last a long time :)

I'm back in Scotland next week and am looking forward to having Waitrose back only 2 mins away from me....also majorly excited about Whole Foods opening on the 16th Nov, about 5 mins away! I'm easily pleased :)

Fair play to u Sheepy19!! I lurk around home bargains, poundland and wilkinsons for toiletries and cleaning products, loo rolls etc. We usually buy either a big box of powder or get a big ariel gel when it's on offer. My shampoo etc is branded but I shop around.

Iceland are handy for frozen chicken breasts, salmon and cod.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Yeah but you don't have to buy a box of washing powder every week do you? We buy one of those great big boxes for about £10 on offer and it lasts forever. I get the cheapy dishwasher tablets, so for about £1.50 I get a months worth of dishwasher use. If you're frugal, cleaning products can last a long time :)

Ah right, in line with the organic thing we get Ecover for washing powder/w up liquid, recycled loo roll etc, so its expensive. We've bought big ones off ebay in the past but we live in such a tiny flat it's a case of if you do that with everything you live in a box of giant bloddy boxes all oer the shop :sigh: :D

I shop around when doing my weekly shopping. I pop to B&M and Home Bargains first to get my pasta, rice, sauce's, cereal and some tinned food. We popped to Tesco the other day for the first time in months and I couldnt believe how much the prices had gone up! Here are some bargains I have found this week compared to Tesco:
48 Weetabix £1.99 in B&M and £3.68 in Tesco
Robinsons Juice 59p in Home Bargains and £1.25 in Tesco
2 Litre Diet Pepsi 79p in Home Bargains and usually £1.79 in Tesco
4 tins of Branston Beans £1 in Iceland and £2.55 in Tesco
Mugshot 39p B&M and 68p Tesco

I find it cheaper to get our fresh meats from Iceland and Morrisons compared to the other big shops aswell. At the moment a weeks food shop for us can be around £40-£50 (2 adults one toddler).

xxx

I shop in Morrisons, Aldi, Farmfoods, Tesco and Home Bargains. Fresh fruit & veg and fresh meat from the two biggies, frozen goods from Farmfoods, dried packet things and the like from Home Bargains, and Aldi for whatever fruit & veg is on offer, and their cereal/pasta/flour etc is often cheaper. Oh, and cat food from JTF. There's two of us, 3 cats and lots of birds (who have fresh fruit daily), and averaged out, it is probably £30-£40 a week. My freezer is full of reduced sticker goods, and if something is on offer and we will use it, I get it and freeze if need be. My lunches consist of leftovers usually, as I rarely throw anything away. I had to throw some pork out yesterday as it smelt funky, reduced to £2.30, and I am STILL annoyed/upset about it! :)

Back