Where do you do your surfing?

I'm on pc in dining room and OH is usually on the laptop in the living room .. bliss ;) Although it is an old gaming laptop so you wouldn't be encouraged to put it on your lap as it is so heavy and get very hot!

Facebook, here, rescue pages looking for a dogbert, and Freecycle, Ebay & Quidco!

From my desk at work. :D

Ah, I've got you all mentally placed now! :wave_cry:

I totally under-use my iphone - it's got so much music there's no room on there for anything else. Should get some cool apps. Including that doll one - totally random. ;)

Susie, I would die of shock if my itunes got deleted - blummin' good work finding a way to retrieve it! :eek:

LOL Water - I did nearly die. I've been loading up DVDs onto my hard drive and needed to make some space, so in my innocence I thought I'd delete Quick Time, with the rationale being that I have a PC, not a Mac. Only to discover that iTunes doesn't work without Quick Time arggghhhh.

I have now learned a great deal in the past few days about backing up! Gonna get me one of these babies so everything will be safe :)

LaCie Hard Disk Quadra Design by Neil Poulton 2 TB External hard drive - 800Mbps(FireWire800)/400Mbps(FireWire)/480Mbps(Hi-Sp.USB)/3Gbps(eSATA)

Oh no! My OH just spotted your hard drive and it's a 2 terabyte one and his is only a 1 one, IYKWIM. He's getting drive envy.

Hehe I know, plus it's also very beautiful :)

I do have lots of movies and CDs, which I want to upload and then flog on eBay, so I thought I'd get the big momma :D

Does OH have a recommendation for a media streamer so I can watch said movies from the external hard drive on my tellie?

What's IYKWIM?

Sx

Lady,

I'm in a similar position, thinking how to store stuff. I'm personally thinking that a NAS is the way forward. Platform and format independent - i.e. works with any operating system/file type.

You could get a dead cheap nettop. Would have the bonus of being able to use the internet on your TV if you wanted.

Or have you seen the Western Digital devices? they're pretty good bang for buck.

www.popcornhour.com media streamer which works with windows - is that what you need S?

Thx hun. I have zero techie knowledge so am guessing here. I wish the info was in plain - or plainer - English :D

I know what I want to do - store DVDs on the external drive and watch them direct from that drive on TV - but understanding how I do that is a bit difficult (for my pea-sized brain).

Michael - many thx. I looked at Western Digital, same sort of price and not as pretty (I'm such a girl lol).

There's an even newer LaCie HD which might be the way to go - 2TB hard drive and streamer in one - I think :confused:... - LaCie 2TB Wireless Space NAS Ethernet / USB 2.0 - 301940EK

All advice very welcome (and sorry to turn this into IT Corner!).

Susie

You actually sound like you really know your stuff!

I think you'd be making the right choice by going NAS With the growth of devices with only a little bit of memory like the ipad (droooool) etc, I think it would be more costly in the long run not to buy something that can act as a streamer.

Que??? :confused:

Hehe I know, plus it's also very beautiful :)

I do have lots of movies and CDs, which I want to upload and then flog on eBay, so I thought I'd get the big momma :D

Does OH have a recommendation for a media streamer so I can watch said movies from the external hard drive on my tellie?

What's IYKWIM?

Sx

If You Know What I Mean Susie

and NAS is Network Attached Storage. This is an independent storage device. I.e. not dependent on any particular platform or Operating system. We have several terrabyte NAS here that are used by PC's, Windows servers and UNIX servers.

pmsl. i sent my bf a text that said that on sat night and he asked me later why i sent a message saying queue durrr.

Back