Where the bargains are at and anything else thats useful.

If we do a full food shop we go to asda and always buy the meat from the 3 for £10 section. we spend £20 and get 12 chicken fillets and 18 pork steaks. we take them out of the packets and put enough for 1 meal into freezer bags and pop them in the freezer. we sometimes buy turkey steaks and they are usually cheaper than chicken. we always look for joints of meat in the reduced section, today we got a huge piece of boneless pork for £3.28, should have been £9.12... bargain.
i always have a good look round the fruit section as the fruit that they advertise as being for kids packed lunches are often cheaper
we buy frozen berries, so much cheaper and last alot longer
try turkey mince if you cant get extra lean mince, again its quite cheap
we tend to buy alot of frozen vegetables again because they last alot longer.
if we pop to supermarkets during the week its usually tesco or morrisons. morrisons have some fab deals lately where they have vegetables and salad items for 50p. some of their deals dont add up though... they were selling half a pineapple for £1 or a full large pineapple for the same price! have a good look round if you go there.

I only really buy frozen veg now (except onions and mushrooms) as i cant believe how expensive it is! E.g. A pepper is 69p and a bag of frozen peppers it about 80p. They're mainly pretty good. Also you can decide what you want rather than get stuck eating up whatever's in the fridge :) you can also get some fruit frozen although only tried summer berries and they were way to sharp!

Also I buy 6 eggs for 69p in sainsburys or tesco and we eat loads of omelettes. Way too many in fact!

I got charged £2.77 in tesco the other day for 3 apricots and they are 6 for £1 in Morrisons! I get loads of fruit from Morrisons as it's really good value but it takes me half hour to drive there.

Doing SW is soooo expensive!!!!

I picked up 2 boxes of quorn sausages in Sainburys for £2.50

I picked up 2 boxes of quorn sausages in Sainburys for £2.50

Were they the syn free sausages or the new receipe ones which are 1 syn per sausage?? Thanks X

joes sausages are not "Slimming World" anymore, none of them are..
SW isn't renewing the certificates for anyone according to our C..
whether that makes them syns or not I don't know..

Ordered my first lot from Joes today and I checked the SW certificate (on their site and you can enlarge it to read) and it says valid until 13th July 2011; was originally given in 2008. Perhaps we should ask Joes if they are changing any of the ingredients? On the site it says 'all sausages are less than 3% fat'.

Last edited:
This is a fantastic thread.

I haven't got any pearls of wisdom that haven't been said already but thank you everyone that has posted so far I have picked up alot from this thread :D

Deleted

joes sausages are not "Slimming World" anymore, none of them are..
SW isn't renewing the certificates for anyone according to our C..
whether that makes them syns or not I don't know..

Yeah i got told the same thing, apparently too many butchers claiming they sell SW approved sausages! Also think there is some money issue? I was too busy to listen properly......thinking OMG don't want to go back to crap sausages pmsl.............I'm still going to use Joes and i'm very lucky that a butchers 15 mins away sells them :D

aliscrapper said:
Were they the syn free sausages or the new receipe ones which are 1 syn per sausage?? Thanks X

Oh I couldn't tell you I'm afraid. Didn't even realise new recipe ones had syns.

Yeah i got told the same thing, apparently too many butchers claiming they sell SW approved sausages! Also think there is some money issue? I was too busy to listen properly......thinking OMG don't want to go back to crap sausages pmsl.............I'm still going to use Joes and i'm very lucky that a butchers 15 mins away sells them :D

if you look on joes website they are saying you can check nutritional value in syns calculater and it will come up free as they are promising not to change recipe. i'm yhinking of getting a mincer and sausage maker kit/machine anyone got one? x

Just to add to the sausage news... I heard that quorn sausages now are not syn free as they have changed the recipe!!! All have syns in now!! X

if you look on joes website they are saying you can check nutritional value in syns calculater and it will come up free as they are promising not to change recipe. i'm yhinking of getting a mincer and sausage maker kit/machine anyone got one? x

Sounds like a brill idea, would the kit be expensive?

Happy Holidays said:
Sounds like a brill idea, would the kit be expensive?

I have the Anthony worrell thompson one and I think it's about £80,the sausage skins do take a bit of getting used to when you first try to use them,but they are worth it x

Back