Which cheese..

missk

I am partial to a good strong cheese, and a good helping of it, unfortunately its normally full fat but as I'm now starting sw i will have to knock this on the head. Looking through the books i can have 28g of full fat cheese or 42g of half fat. Some cheeses i have tried that are half fat are tasteless to me, so i was wondering which half fat cheese do you think is the best taste wise, or do you stick to the 28g of ff cheese.

I use the Tescos Low fat cheese mature, for things like Jacket potatoes or cheese on top of a pasta dish etc. But for when i need it to melt on top of something eg on SW pizza or i need the real cheese flavour then i use 28g full fat ( which when grated is a reasonable amount)

For broccoli and blue cheese soup, i have been using the Laughing cow blue cheese squares - they are really good

We have the Cathederal city lighter and its lovely -not lower fat tasting at all ...

oh my life honey, laughing cow blue cheese squares, didn't even know they existed i used to love homemade broccoli and Stilton soup, but on sw this is a no no. Do you have the recipe/syn value for the soup and can i buy the squares at tesco?

Low low cheese is nice and you get 42g of that. Also Leskol is nice too, again this is a 42g. Both of these taste good and melt properly in recipes too x

I still havent managed to find the laughing cow blues :(

morrisons do a nice low fat one as well but have tried mot of the low fat ones that have been mentioned and liked them all and i like a stron cheese as well:)

oh my life honey, laughing cow blue cheese squares, didn't even know they existed i used to love homemade broccoli and Stilton soup, but on sw this is a no no. Do you have the recipe/syn value for the soup and can i buy the squares at tesco?

Broccoli and blue cheese soup

1 head broccoli, cut in to florets
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
Veg stock
Blue cheese squares ( they are 1.5syns each) so between 2 - 4 depends how cheesey you like it

1) soften onion and garlic in frylight.
2) add broccoli and enough stock to cover
3) simmer until tender
4) melt in cheese squares and season
5) blitz with hand blender

Its made in like 15 mins, so almost as quick as opening a can! and much better for you :)

002-11.jpg

I can get the squares in my Tesco's and Sainsbury's

Personally I have never found a reduced-fat cheese that I liked. So I stick to small amounts of the ones I really like.

I love the Cornish Cruncher Cheddar from M&s, or Keens or Montgomery cheddar (Waitrose usually have these, so do some other supermarkets).

Or I have freshly grated Parmesan, bought in a block from Aldi. Keeps for ever in my Tefal cheese box in the fridge and I just grate some whenever I need it - can't stand the ready-grated stuff.

I used Kerry Low Low Mature Cheese today for the first time and it was very cheesy. I would buy it again.

Me too, it was on special offer from the Ocado man so I thought I'd give it a try. I agree, it is very tasty and has a normal (not reduced fat) texture.

Its only a 1/3 less fat though (not half like some of the others) so I wasn't sure if it was OK but the book just says 42g of "reduced fat" cheddar so looks good to me.

I will definitely buy again.

If you get a tub of quark and mix in your daily allowence of Stilton and then leave for a couple of hours, You get a whole tub of Stilton spread as if by magic. It's lovely as a dip or a spread and maybe it could be used in the soup?

Cathedral City Light mature cheddar here, and it's lovely :D Actually I've tried a few reduced fat mature cheddars, and have been pleasantly surprised by all of them.

I like the Cathedral City lighter cheese but recently we have had the Tesco reduced fat mature and they also do a reduced fat extra mature which is meant to be a 4 on the strong cheese rating. I wouldn't say it's a 4 but it is a good strong cheese and the 42g goes a long way.

Thanks all, popped into to m&s today ahead of tomorrow's shop and brought a reduced fat cheddar from there to try, also brought a full flavor half fat brie, so i can still have a sliver when i make chicken wrapped in ham.

I've been using Tesco grated Extra Mature (healthy living) recently which is very nice - certainly got some decent flavour to it and it melts well.

Personally I find Leskol to be the strongest of the RF ones and it has won best buy awards

The others I find very mild and most dont taste even remotely cheesy

Back