Which diet, pleae help?

Hi. Im new and was wondering if anyone could advise me on which diet is best please, weight watchers or slimming world? My names Hayley and I need to lose some weight but can't make my mind up, any ideas peeps, thanks :)

Hi Hayley

I can't talk for Weightwatchers because I've never tried it. My dads boss is on it and lost a stone in a year... which is of course great. However I lost about 2 stone in a year with slimming world (and that wasn't even on a constant diet but it just changes how you view food so even when I wasn't 'on' it i still made good food choices).

I am currently on slimming world (again) only this time I have a certain number of pounds to shed and I plan to do it before the summer!!

Slimming world is fun, easy and does not feel like a diet. I am not sure if you have a basic understanding of what it involves so excuse me if this next bit is already knowledge to you :)

You have original and green days. Simplified, original days you eat more meat, green days you eat more carbs such as pasta. There's also 'extra easy', excuse me I am not sure what this entails as I still go by what Slimming World was a few years ago! The website will tell you though.
You also have 'healthy extras' which would be your milk, cheese, bread, etc. You have 'free foods' such as pasta or meat (depending on what day you're on) and as much fruit and veg as you want, also yoghurts such as Muller Lights and some other random food items such as baked beans, eggs, spaghetti, etc. Finally, Syns. These are what make up the other foods which do not fall into the other categories (or if you're healthy extras are already used up). Each food has a syn value. You will need to purchase a Food Directory book to check your food against it. This is available when you join a slimming world group/online

I personally don't go to any groups. My sister used to hence why I have all the books (and will be purchasing an updated food directory online shortly!) and as it is a diet i've done before everything is second nature to me now. But there are benefits to going to group sessions (as explained on their website). However, I believe my own self motivation and this forum will keep me on target so really it is whatever works best for you, your lifestyle and your finances.

I really hope this has helped in some way. Hopefully someone can give you info on weightwatchers too so you get a good idea. i love the freedom you get with Slimming World. For instance to I had bran flakes for breakfast, fruit for snacks and a massive bowl of pasta with homemade sauce and lots and lots of veg and seasoning which equalled a syn free day yet I feel so full! There are so many 'free' foods that you may not even use your syns. Or else, save your syns to use on a nice meal at the weekend or alcohol or something. Slimming World is not a diet that will segregate you from friends/family. You can make wholesome meals for family but just adjust your portion side to reflect your choice of day. Also there are great recipes available. You do not have to buy 'slimming world' own products. The food you use is from asda, waitrose, sainsburys, anywhere and it is likely to have its syn calculated for you!
Some slimming world groups allow you to sit in on meetings free of charge as a 'taster' session. If there is one near you i would recommend it 1) to see if you like the diet, 2) to see if you would benefit from face to face group meetings (if not you can also register online!) and 3) it's always nice to 'try before you buy' hehe!

Good luck with the weight loss, I hope it goes well for you :)
Any questions or just wanna say hi then don't hesitate to send me a message!

All the best
Danni
xxx

Id recommend WW - I lost 7 stone in a year on it. its very straight forward, nothing is off limits and its so convenient if youre eating out.

It really depends what is going to best suit your own personal circumstances. Id say the best idea would be to have a good look at the SW and WW boards and see what you think :)

bugsbunny2000 said:
Hi Hayley

I can't talk for Weightwatchers because I've never tried it. My dads boss is on it and lost a stone in a year... which is of course great. However I lost about 2 stone in a year with slimming world (and that wasn't even on a constant diet but it just changes how you view food so even when I wasn't 'on' it i still made good food choices).

I am currently on slimming world (again) only this time I have a certain number of pounds to shed and I plan to do it before the summer!!

Slimming world is fun, easy and does not feel like a diet. I am not sure if you have a basic understanding of what it involves so excuse me if this next bit is already knowledge to you :)

You have original and green days. Simplified, original days you eat more meat, green days you eat more carbs such as pasta. There's also 'extra easy', excuse me I am not sure what this entails as I still go by what Slimming World was a few years ago! The website will tell you though.
You also have 'healthy extras' which would be your milk, cheese, bread, etc. You have 'free foods' such as pasta or meat (depending on what day you're on) and as much fruit and veg as you want, also yoghurts such as Muller Lights and some other random food items such as baked beans, eggs, spaghetti, etc. Finally, Syns. These are what make up the other foods which do not fall into the other categories (or if you're healthy extras are already used up). Each food has a syn value. You will need to purchase a Food Directory book to check your food against it. This is available when you join a slimming world group/online

I personally don't go to any groups. My sister used to hence why I have all the books (and will be purchasing an updated food directory online shortly!) and as it is a diet i've done before everything is second nature to me now. But there are benefits to going to group sessions (as explained on their website). However, I believe my own self motivation and this forum will keep me on target so really it is whatever works best for you, your lifestyle and your finances.

I really hope this has helped in some way. Hopefully someone can give you info on weightwatchers too so you get a good idea. i love the freedom you get with Slimming World. For instance to I had bran flakes for breakfast, fruit for snacks and a massive bowl of pasta with homemade sauce and lots and lots of veg and seasoning which equalled a syn free day yet I feel so full! There are so many 'free' foods that you may not even use your syns. Or else, save your syns to use on a nice meal at the weekend or alcohol or something. Slimming World is not a diet that will segregate you from friends/family. You can make wholesome meals for family but just adjust your portion side to reflect your choice of day. Also there are great recipes available. You do not have to buy 'slimming world' own products. The food you use is from asda, waitrose, sainsburys, anywhere and it is likely to have its syn calculated for you!
Some slimming world groups allow you to sit in on meetings free of charge as a 'taster' session. If there is one near you i would recommend it 1) to see if you like the diet, 2) to see if you would benefit from face to face group meetings (if not you can also register online!) and 3) it's always nice to 'try before you buy' hehe!

Good luck with the weight loss, I hope it goes well for you :)
Any questions or just wanna say hi then don't hesitate to send me a message!

All the best
Danni
xxx

Hi bugsbunny2000. Thankyou for the information on slimming world, it was very helpful, I might just try it, start with extra easy and see how I get on, goodluck with your weight loss and thanks again

Hayley x x

Starlight said:
Id recommend WW - I lost 7 stone in a year on it. its very straight forward, nothing is off limits and its so convenient if youre eating out.

It really depends what is going to best suit your own personal circumstances. Id say the best idea would be to have a good look at the SW and WW boards and see what you think :)

Hi starlight, thanks, think I'm gonna try slimming world ,I have tried weight watchers when pro points came out but don't like weighing my food and was only losing half pound a week but it does work, if slimming world don't work out then I will try ww again :)

Thanks Hayley

I think Rosemary Conely is worth a look at too, the diet is a more traditional calorie counted low fat diet. I just find that easier to follow than counting points, also I can work it into my low carb lifestyle. You also get an excercise class for 45 minutes as well which the other clubs dont offer, the one I go to does zumba which is a lot of fun. And you get the portion pots when you join which are a great help and avoid having to weigh stuff.

i tried WW didnt have a good loss on that SW works for me when i do it properly lol

I originally lost 3 stone on SW in 3 months then faffed about ive now gone back still 2 stone lighter and in 3 weeks lost 11lbs doing the xtra easy plan

Hi Hayley
I am doing slimming world for the second time. I think it is one of the best weight loss plans around. I have never tried WW and don't think I ever will, Slimming world is a plan you can follow for life in my opinion it is all about eating normal, healthy, unprocessed food
Good luck with your weight loss journey whichever path you decide to take anyway xx

It's basically three high protein , low carb shakes a day, and lots of water... Black tea and coffee is allowed.. It's hard at first but the losses are massive x

sigourney said:
It's basically three high protein , low carb shakes a day, and lots of water... Black tea and coffee is allowed.. It's hard at first but the losses are massive x

Oh I did something similar, about 5 years back, it was called slim weigh - I was on it for 5 months, lost a stone a month, but my hair fell out not all of it, but a lot! I have never been able to diet properly since, but hoping this tome is different!
Must admit, wouldnt mind a quick fix to get me going!
Thanks
J x

Personally I love the scottish slimmer PEP plan for simplicity and a person who likes cooking from scratch, all the recipies are seriously yummy and also allowed some flexibility if u wanted to bung something in the micro. But, I was often left feeling and would over indulge on choices. I have since tried slimming world which I find much more Filling and weight does really come off ! but sad to say it doesn't give much inspiration on the cooking front despite being based on principle of cooking everything! I would really have struggled with the plan without my ss cookery books to fall back on!

Back