Who has a heart rate monitor?

Mis-behave

Gold Member
I have just started using my heart rate monitor (birthday present) and I only burned 208 cals slow walking pushing buggy for 70-80 mins, so am thinking mfp is over estimates cals burnt in exercise, compared to my heart rate monitor? Any other opinions out there?

I don't have a heart rate monitor but obviously as mfp is standard I'm guessing (unless it works it out on our bmi) it isn't completely accurate. I don't tend to worry about it as I don't eat my exercise calories so I just like to pretend to myself I've burned that many off xx

Edit - ah ok just checked & mfp is done by your weight (checked what my friend showed as burning for 20 mins dancing compared to me - she weighs about a stone more than me & there was a small difference)

Last edited:
i dont have one personally but it does my heart rate when im at the gym on the tredmill and on the bike. i think mfp does over estimate. i do 1 hours swimming non stop and on mfp it said i burned like 980 calories!! i wish loooooool xx

Just done 2 hours light/ mod vacuuming and mopping and general tidying mfp says 424 but HRM says 202 so that's what I've put, am interested to find out about what I burn in my Zumba class, as I don't think I work very hard compared to the kettlecise class which was 495-500 kcals

I have a heart rate monitor as well and love it! I was very surprised at how many calories I was burning just cleaning my house. I put on some music and danced as I walked around. Probably looked like an idiot, but lots of calories!

I suppose MFP is just an estimate and encourages me to exercise. What kind of heart monitor do you have and was it expensive

I got a polar ft40 which was my birthday present.. Everyone gave money for my birthday plus the argos vouchers I had saved up of £25 watch was £119 from Argos think it was cheaper from amazon but then there is the hassle of returning it if something wrong with it.

I liked the white one, i also liked it because it records your work out and files it so that you can look at it later.. Date, time of work out and all the rest of the info. Comes with a chest strap. Also the strap is soft plastic not stiff and comfortable to wear :)

I just looked on ebay & there was one for £8 but I am guessing it would be a bit rubbish & be made in Hong Kong or something. Maybe I will ask for one for my birthday

Back