Wholemeal vs white

Kim&Leah

Silver Member
I eat a LOT of spaghetti, pasta, rice etc and thinking of switching to wholemeal.
Has anyone done this and found it gave them a boost?:D

I don't know about it giving you a boost, but it is so much better for you. Takes a bit of getting used to, I love brown rice but I'm still not over keen on wholemeal pasta, although I will have it.

jaylou said:
I don't know about it giving you a boost, but it is so much better for you. Takes a bit of getting used to, I love brown rice but I'm still not over keen on wholemeal pasta, although I will have it.

I agree, brown rice is lovely and I can also eat wholemeal spaghetti but for some reason i'm not keen on other wholemeal pasta shapes?! I eat in any way. Food is food ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

I tried wholemeal noodles for the first time tonight and they were really nice. I had never seen them before so thought I would give them a try!

Wholemeal all the way for me, spagetti tastes much better, tbh i've only just switched over to wholemeal pasta, always eaten brown bread, will try rice soon but i'm crap at cooking rice.

Maybe try one at time for wk, deffo better for you than the white refind stuff.

:)

I find wholewheat much more filling and less bloating. You dont get that hollow feeling after eating it either,

I love wholemeal , find rice and pasta has so much more taste and also find it keeps me fuller much longer , so in this way it does help the diet , although any differencein losses will come from not eating as much due to being fuller

The pasta, I don't notice the difference, takes the same time to cook and tastes just the same. When it comes to brown rice, it takes twice as long and feels more firm to eat than white rice. So I'm about 50% there! hehe

I've always eaten wholemeal spaghetti & pasta. To me there's no difference in taste between that & white. And as Jaylou says - they're better for you!

Depends what Im eating really. Some things wholemeal rice is nicer with, like beany dishes, other things I want to make a pilau or whatever so I use basmati. I hardly ever eat pasta these days and again it depends what Im using it for what type Ill use.

Always eaten wholemeal bread but started with pasta a few years ago and prefer it myself to white. Just discovered wholemeal noodles and they are yummy

Thought I'd play devils advocate :)

I don't like wholemeal rice, pasta etc I just about manage wholemeal bread for the sake of slimming world. I know the others would be better for me but I find they have quite a bitty texture and I hate bits (won't go in the sea coz of seaweed, hahaha).

Wholemeal all the way for me, spagetti tastes much better, tbh i've only just switched over to wholemeal pasta, always eaten brown bread, will try rice soon but i'm crap at cooking rice.

Maybe try one at time for wk, deffo better for you than the white refind stuff.

:)

Brown rice is so much easier to cook than white. Because it has the husk on it doesnt go stodgy though does take longer

jen3 said:
Brown rice is so much easier to cook than white. Because it has the husk on it doesnt go stodgy though does take longer

I like when white rice goes like that! I miss it a lot, but because of my pcos I'm better off having the whole grain rices and pastas. I still have white basmati but not often! I cant find brown basmati anywhere, they have the boil in the bag ones at Tesco but it's £3 and only enough for 2 dinners which is too pricey for me.

If you switch to whole grain you'll barely notice the difference after a while. It's only when I have the white pastas that I realise I prefer it over the brown ones! So I avoid them! They're still free on SW though so I don't think it matters all that much, but whole grain is better for me :)

I like when white rice goes like that! I miss it a lot, but because of my pcos I'm better off having the whole grain rices and pastas. I still have white basmati but not often! I cant find brown basmati anywhere, they have the boil in the bag ones at Tesco but it's £3 and only enough for 2 dinners which is too pricey for me.

If you switch to whole grain you'll barely notice the difference after a while. It's only when I have the white pastas that I realise I prefer it over the brown ones! So I avoid them! They're still free on SW though so I don't think it matters all that much, but whole grain is better for me :)

I get the Tilda wholemeal one, about £2.50 for a bag. Or the East Edn stuff is pretty cheap. Either way its waaaaaay cheaper than those micro bags! :eek:

EDIT: Its on offer at the minute in Tesco, 3.99 a kilo :)

ermintrude said:
I get the Tilda wholemeal one, about £2.50 for a bag. Or the East Edn stuff is pretty cheap. Either way its waaaaaay cheaper than those micro bags! :eek:

EDIT: Its on offer at the minute in Tesco, 3.99 a kilo :)

Erm I was in there last night and could only see the white stuff and the micro ones :( I'll be back there on Friday so will look again. I need brown basmati in my life!

Its certainly better for you, higher fibre, your body has to work harder to break it down, helps with bloating etc. and like others have said, you do get used to it after a while

Back