Wholemeal????????

anne-mariep

Silver Member
Is wholemeal ok? I was looking at ingredients and it seems exactly the same as white bread?????? I ask coz i cant find wholegrain wraps anywhere and its driving me crazy.

Is multigrain bread ok????

Haha! Let the questions begin. Sorry if i annoy you asking so many questions.

Hmmm im not entirely sure why but wholemeal is better for you!

I know sainsburys sell wholemeal wraps & pitta breads ....

Anything with the 'grain' in it is better for you nutrition wise as it contains more nutrients and takes longer to process than white/brown (which is basically white coloured brown!) bread. I personally go for a granary type bread wherever possible, but I like it better!

Hmmm im not entirely sure why but wholemeal is better for you!

I know sainsburys sell wholemeal wraps & pitta breads ....

Unfortunately dont have sainburys in Ireland. :( Thanks thou.

Anything with the 'grain' in it is better for you nutrition wise as it contains more nutrients and takes longer to process than white/brown (which is basically white coloured brown!) bread. I personally go for a granary type bread wherever possible, but I like it better!

Yep me too but i dont want to eat bread all the time wud like to change between wraps and bagels and bread. Ill keep looking otherwise ill prob try make my own haha that shud be interesting.

Do you have co-op in ireland?
The only bread i'll eat now is their seeded loaf batch ... its absolutly gorgeous. You dont feel like you are eating air and is also high in fiber :)

Do you have co-op in ireland?
The only bread i'll eat now is their seeded loaf batch ... its absolutly gorgeous. You dont feel like you are eating air and is also high in fiber :)

No we dont have all the good stores here im goin to england over new years so mite try bring some stuff back haha! dont know if im bringing a suitcase thou so dat mite change tings. Seeded loaf batch??? is that just thicker bread with multi seeds in it?? low gi???

Asda do wholemeal bread, rolls & pitta.
Tesco do wholemeal bread, rolls, pitta & muffins.

www.mysupermarket.co.uk

Do you have these two stores?
If not im not sure what else to suggest except maybe going to an 'actual' bakery and buying them from there as im sure they will have some :)

Asda do wholemeal bread, rolls & pitta.
Tesco do wholemeal bread, rolls, pitta & muffins.

www.mysupermarket.co.uk

Do you have these two stores?
If not im not sure what else to suggest except maybe going to an 'actual' bakery and buying them from there as im sure they will have some :)

Have tesco hun i can get wholemeal no prob its wholegrain im trying to find. Ill check out some bakeries thanks so much. :):)

Oh right - whats the difference? your thread is titled wholemeal so assumed ... :giggle:

Oh right - whats the difference? your thread is titled wholemeal so assumed ... :giggle:

Haha! Em as far as i can tell wholegrain is high gi coz its whole grains so it takes longer to digest. Wholemeal as far as i can tell is the same but finely ground but im not really sure about that. Coz i looked at the ingredients and wholemeal didnt look great basically the same as white but just looked brown. haha!

If it's low-GI you're looking for, the best ones are soya & linseed, wholegrain, heavy mixed grain, whole wheat, sourdough rye & sourdough wheat.
'Less' good are things like croissants, hamburger buns, white pittas/wraps and wholemeal rye.
To be avoided (or limited) are white breads, bagels, and baguettes.
HTH a bit?

Im still none the wiser as to why wholemeal bread is better, all i know is that it just 'is' lol... can one of yous put it in idiot guide for me?! pwetty pwease?!!! :giggle: x

It's not- whole GRAIN is! LOL! Wholemeal is just basically coloured white bread- as anne-mariep discovered!
The difference between wholemeal and wholegrain bread is that wholemeal bread is generally high GI which causes a rapid increase in blood sugar. Wholegrain bread takes longer to digest because of the grains in it, so you don’t get the big increase in blood sugar levels. This helps keep you fuller for longer and is good for your health.

The reason wholegrain is the best choice is the bran and the wheat germ contain most of the nutrients in the grain. These nutrients include fibre, B Vitamins, antioxidants, Vitamin E, Zinc and Magnesium. With white bread, the outer parts of the grain are removed, leaving the endosperm, which just provides carbohydrate and some protein.

To choose a good bread, the things to check on the bag are the nutritional information and the ingredients. On the nutritional information, check out the fibre. A good bread should be high in fibre, around 5g to 6g or more per 100g. Also, the first ingredients should be whole wheat or wholemeal flour and it should also contain grains. Many types of bread also say on the packaging if they contain wholegrains.
Does that help any?

If it's low-GI you're looking for, the best ones are soya & linseed, wholegrain, heavy mixed grain, whole wheat, sourdough rye & sourdough wheat.
'Less' good are things like croissants, hamburger buns, white pittas/wraps and wholemeal rye.
To be avoided (or limited) are white breads, bagels, and baguettes.
HTH a bit?

Wat about multigrain bagels and baguettes?????

Wholemeal rye is bad thanks for telling me i thought that was good haha!

It's not- whole GRAIN is! LOL! Wholemeal is just basically coloured white bread- as anne-mariep discovered!
The difference between wholemeal and wholegrain bread is that wholemeal bread is generally high GI which causes a rapid increase in blood sugar. Wholegrain bread takes longer to digest because of the grains in it, so you don’t get the big increase in blood sugar levels. This helps keep you fuller for longer and is good for your health.

The reason wholegrain is the best choice is the bran and the wheat germ contain most of the nutrients in the grain. These nutrients include fibre, B Vitamins, antioxidants, Vitamin E, Zinc and Magnesium. With white bread, the outer parts of the grain are removed, leaving the endosperm, which just provides carbohydrate and some protein.

To choose a good bread, the things to check on the bag are the nutritional information and the ingredients. On the nutritional information, check out the fibre. A good bread should be high in fibre, around 5g to 6g or more per 100g. Also, the first ingredients should be whole wheat or wholemeal flour and it should also contain grains. Many types of bread also say on the packaging if they contain wholegrains.
Does that help any?

Yes it does thats wat i thought but i was getting confused. where do you buy your breads??????

Im still none the wiser as to why wholemeal bread is better, all i know is that it just 'is' lol... can one of yous put it in idiot guide for me?! pwetty pwease?!!! :giggle: x

I think wat irish mum says covers everything if you can see the grains in the bread its good if you cant its just dyed white bread haha!

Does that help any?

I thinkso .... Im a bit slow on things like this :sigh:

Just been and checked my bread:

Per slice:
100calories
1.7g fat (0.2g sat fat)
1.5g sugar
0.5g salt
15.5g carbs
5.6g protein
4.0g fibre (8.5g fibre per 100g)

Ingredients:
wholemeal wheat flour (53%) this is ok yeah?, water, malted wheat flakes (2%), wheat protein, toasted soya, golden linseed, sunflower seeds, brown linseed, yeast, poppy seeds, salt, sugar, spirit vinegar, millet soya flour, emulsifier (mono - and diacetyl tartaric acid esters of mono - and diglycerides of fatty acids - vegetable), vegetable oil (rapeseed, palm), flour treatement agent (ascorbic acid)

Copied straight from the packaging - i think from what you said my bread is ok?

I thinkso .... Im a bit slow on things like this :sigh:

Just been and checked my bread:

Per slice:
100calories
1.7g fat (0.2g sat fat)
1.5g sugar
0.5g salt
15.5g carbs
5.6g protein
4.0g fibre (8.5g fibre per 100g)

Ingredients:
wholemeal wheat flour (53%) this is ok yeah?, water, malted wheat flakes (2%), wheat protein, toasted soya, golden linseed, sunflower seeds, brown linseed, yeast, poppy seeds, salt, sugar, spirit vinegar, millet soya flour, emulsifier (mono - and diacetyl tartaric acid esters of mono - and diglycerides of fatty acids - vegetable), vegetable oil (rapeseed, palm), flour treatement agent (ascorbic acid)

Copied straight from the packaging - i think from what you said my bread is ok?

Wow alot of ingredients in that! it sounds filling and as alot of oils in it. It doesnt sound bad thou hun. You mite be able to find a more natural bread but i tink it sounds good and it has alot of ingredients that you need anyway. So once you arent eating it all day it will still be healthy.

Im having bread maybe 4/5 times a week max so should be ok - well i hope its ok! lol

Back