Why are family so mean about weight loss!

I was at my parents house at the weekend and asked my mother what she thought of my weight loss (Total of 17 lbs) and she said 'yeah, you still have quite a way to go though'. I was very hurt and felt very ugly all weekend. I have spent the last year wearing cover up clothes I hate and trying to be invisable I was so happy that I had lost weight was feeling happy about my apperence again. I know I still have to lose alot of weight but everyone has to start somewhere. I feel like going out and just getting drunk tonight. My mother, like many people I think believes that to be successful and good then you MUST be thin! It makes me so upset! :cry::cry::cry:

Its upto you how to receive the comment. I would turn it into a motivation for me to keep going and show her or anyone that after all U got there.. Goodluck and cheer up hun, after all we are not living in a perfect world :) xx

mothers can be so harsh
but don't let it upset you you are doing so well and you are doing it for you not her and just remember how good it felt to lose that weight. Don't got out and get drunk turn it around by thinking how good its going to be when you hit your goal and you don't wnat to mess up all your hard work.

send hugs your way xx

I'm getting the opposite problem with my parents, they're now winging that I'm TOO thin! If you'd have told me 6 months ago that they'd be worried about me not eating enough, I wouldn't have believed you. I can't blooming win with them! xx

November, 17lb is 17lb however you look at it, your parents should support you rather than focus on how much you still have to lose, at least you are on the right track, you have lost over a stone and that is brilliant!
Continue to stick 100% and really show them what you are made of, nevermind about having a drink, as this can be a slippery slope, you could throw caution to the wind and eat! Just think of how great you will feel when you finally get to goal. You can parade around in front of your parents in your new outfits and make them eat their words!!

Parents can be very irritating, but they love you!

Hi November,

If i were you i'd just ignore it. You can't let what people say bother you babes. Maybe your mother was trying to motivate you to continue thinking that if you gives you too much praise you might stop your diet! Parents aren't perfect after all! My mother loves to see me slim and makes no secret about it. It's cos she loves you.

I wouldn't make it an excuse to go get drunk or cheat or anything.

One thing I've learnt in life is that when it comes to myself, my body and my life, I am in control of it and mine is the only viewpoint thats important! As long as you feel good about your loss and how you look thats all that counts!

Shake it off and carry on. The compliments will soon be flooding in all on their own from all directions, including from your parents.......you'll see.

Good luck

Oh don't feel down, sometimes people open their mouths and don't think ! I have also lost 17lbs and no one has noticed yet ! Makes me think why do I bother !

However I wonder how easy others would find a) being on CD and b) losing 17lbs !

Hey
Chin up your mum is probably worried about you, as lots of people think cd isnt the way to go.
My parents are very supportive of me on cd as my brother and I are both doing it.. and they are so happy for us both that we have lost so much!!
Hang in there as you are doing fab...... and you will be there at goal before you know it!! x

Hi November,

If i were you i'd just ignore it. You can't let what people say bother you babes. Maybe your mother was trying to motivate you to continue thinking that if you gives you too much praise you might stop your diet! Parents aren't perfect after all!....
Good luck

Yup, once, I asked my brother, if he noticed my loss, as he never commented, and he finally said that, yes I have lost, but he does not want to praise me too much, so that I don't think it's enough, and that I stop. I guess that was his way of trying to help me be successful.lol
I'm sure your mum loves you just as you are, but she probably just wants the best for you and thinks you'll be happiest when you've reached you dream weight, that she wants you to get there in no time.
Don't think too much about it, it's not about the others...you want to loose this weight, and you'll get there soon enough, and every 17lbs loss will get you closer and closer!!
Well done!!!

Back