Why are VLC Diets not available on the NHS to help beat Obesity/Weight Problems.

Dave167

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering about peoples views on VLC diets and why the NHS does not operate a VLC diet programe into their Battle of Obesity, surely it could be an alternative option to spending so much on various weight loss surgery procedures to help people fight Obesity, surely VLC could be a cheaper option for them considering the average Gastric Band operation costs a minimum of £15,000.

Some people find it very hard to follow a VLC diet and some people find it easy but surely its better than the pills etc that the Dr's like to give out and it should be the persons choice. I originally went to my Dr's last year when I tried to go on Cambridge Diet as I needed his permission because of my BMI, I was paying for it myself with no cost to my Dr but he refused to sign the form due to his own personal beliefs on VLC diets, it was another 6 months before I found Exante and since then my life has changed, in 23 weeks I have lost 8 stone 4 lbs by using a programme my Dr didnt believe in !!!!.

Surely VLC diets should be something the NHS could incorperate into their arsenal of tools to help fight obesity at a fraction of the cost of other procedures.

Looking forward to other peoples views on this.

I've spoken to my doctor about VLCD's and one minute she's all for it and supports me and the next minute she moans and says you're not properly nourished on these kinds of diets and that you'll pile all the weight back on afterwards (which is rubbish of course, anyone doing any diet will gain weight if they start eating badly again, it's all about maintaining)
I dont think these diets will ever be available on the NHS because most doctors think the same, that all the weight will be gained back quickly.
I suppose with gastric surgery the stomach is made smaller so patients lose weight no matter what.

My doctors surgery does supply the cambridge diet though at prescription prices apparently!

My doctor told me I had to lose weight, so I went away and looked at all the options then settled on Exante. I went to see her prior to starting, and she was fully supportive and thought it was a really good idea BUT only if I joined WW or slimming world after 3 months. This was my plan anyway, to shift a significant enough amount of weight to give me the boost to carry on.

Her idea, and one that I personally agree with is that by doing the second bit with real food that it would educate my eating habits and encourage exercise. She monitored me throughout once a month, and continues to do so now I'm doing WW. Her support has been invaluable to me. I get the weekly weigh in and support from the WW class, but she talks to me from a medical point of view - how much healthier I am now, how my blood pressure and cholesterol have improved, discussing what type of foods I am eating, how often I have days off and how much exercise is right for me.

The thing is, everyone is different and some people would get greater benefit going all the way to goal on a VLCD. Others will be more like me, wanting to use it as a boost before taking a slower and steady route.

On the whole, I do agree that the NHS should encourage VLCD but I also think that more doctors should be more like mine and invest time and support in the individuals and work out what is right for each person rather than just dictating that they need to lose weight.

I love the fact that every month I go and see her, I'll ask if I should go back the following month - her reaction is that if she doesn't see me she is scared the weight will come back on! She will still be seeing me once a month for some time after I get to goal, to help me stay there.

Totally agree Dave. Throughout my journey I have had really fantastic support from the Weight Management team at my local hospital. I was assigned a dietician who is great and it was him who suggested Exante, but obviously I have been paying for it myself all these months. He even gave me some packs that another patient no longer needed and gave to him.

Therefore in my area they support Exante, but don't pay for it.

JoJo - I am well jell of your GP, she sounds amazing! You are lucky to have such great support.

Annie, I am very lucky with my Doctor. I think it helps that she is young, I'd say maybe only about 30. I think a lot of older doctors maybe get stuck in their ways and are not willing to consider different ways of losing weight.

She often says to me that she enjoys seeing me because I'm one of the few patients that listen to her and take her advice! Maybe that's why she is willing to invest the time with me - she told me I needed to do something about my weight, and I did.

I totally agree that DR should be more supportive towards VLCD but I really dont see why the NHS should have to pay for our "food" I belive that by paying out on this diet we have invested into something we really want, if we were just given it would we stick it out and give it our all ?!?

Doctors generally believe what they believe about most things because of research and statistics. The fact is that most people on a VLCD put the weight back on so they won't be able to justify it statistically. The fact that it's working well for you is brilliant, but you are clearly more committed to the long term than many people. With the NHS so low on funds as it is, it probably wouldn't be sound to invest in treatment with such a low success rate for a condition which can (as you've shown) be treated without the need for medical intervention.

Dominoid said:
Doctors generally believe what they believe about most things because of research and statistics. The fact is that most people on a VLCD put the weight back on so they won't be able to justify it statistically. The fact that it's working well for you is brilliant, but you are clearly more committed to the long term than many people. With the NHS so low on funds as it is, it probably wouldn't be sound to invest in treatment with such a low success rate for a condition which can (as you've shown) be treated without the need for medical intervention.

I'm sorry but that's just absolute rubbish. Most people DO NOT put the weight back on any more than people on things like SW or WW

Starlight said:
I'm sorry but that's just absolute rubbish. Most people DO NOT put the weight back on any more than people on things like SW or WW

It is true that statistically many people regain weight lost by any method. Exante is no different - all methods of weight loss should be about trying to learn new eating habits whilst being human.

I am more and more convinced its all to do with your head! But that's another story. Exante worked for me, it was not easy, it's antisocial, causes constipation, and at times mind blowingly boring. It was not fun but the effects are quick - a stone a month is miraculous.

Should the NHS pay? Not really Exante TS costs far less than the over eating of over processed foods.

There is a strong argument for the NHS supporting any weight loss method - the overall health gains are significant. If someoneone loses weight they are at much reduced risk of health complications such as diabetes, osteoarthritis, heart and stroke problems. These are very expensive long term conditions.

For me the very best bit about being normal weight is feeling so good. Apart from a passion for fashion and a serious addiction to new clothes it just feels so good. I am now into nine months of maintaining. It can be done.

good luck to all of you fighting this horrible disease - obesity. It's debilitating, misunderstood and under researched, so frequently the norm is to simply blame the victim. This is unfair but so is life Being overweight is not a life style choice, It's an addiction, but it can be cured.

GSQ

Funnily enough I went to see the Nurse Practitioner at my GP practise a week or two ago - it was for a contraceptive pill check, so nothing to do with weigh loss as such - other than the fact that at my last appointent I was asked to consider a different method of contraception as my BMI was over 30, and my age is fast approaching 35.
I went to the appointment knowing that my BMI would be borderline (considering that I would be clothed, and that the appointment was last thing in the afternoon) but I also knew that I'd lost a significant amount of weight on Exante/S&S since my last pill check (about 4 stone). I knew this would raise questions but I didn't really want to confess to following a VLCD as I was fully expecting a lecture from the nurse about it all...

Anyway, I needn't have worried - she was absolutely thrilled with my lower BMI, totally supportive of my wish to stick with my current contraception, and very interested in how I'd lost the weight (I have a LONG history of weight 'management' issues that they are well aware of). So after avoiding being specific for as long as I could, I finally confessed to following a VLCD/Food Replacement diet, and her reaction was totally different than my expectations.
She told me that she'd been to a conference the previous week about obesity, and that contrary to previous guidance, the NHS are starting to reccomend VCLDs - especially for people with a lot to lose. She said that she wished they could prescribe a VLCD in the same was as the exercise on prescription scheme, because she could think of at least a handul of people she sees regularly who would benefit from following one. I bet she wished she'd never told me that though, because I didn't shut up after that! I told her how great I was feeling since starting my VLCD, how it got me out of a yo-yo dieting rut, how great ketosis is, which products I use, how much they cost, which forums I use....blah blah blah....she couldn't get rid of me! :eek:

So I guess that shows how attitudes are changing these days...although I'm sure it'll take a lot longer for some of the more 'traditional' GPs to get on board with the idea!

Back