Why are you losing weight?

Great thread!
I want to be back to my pre-baby weight
To feel confident and happy
To be the healthiest I can so I can hopefully have a longer and more active life with my daughter :)

For health reason, I have high blood pressure, my family medical history isn't good was a year tomorrow that my cousin died at the age of 38 of natural causes (her heart stopped). There is no way I want to give it a helping hand.
To be able to look in the mirror and love what I see (myself).
To feel good in whatever I wear.

to be more confident
to be able to play and mess around with my children without fat getting in the way
to buy normal clothes and not have to go to the plus size section :(
to poss get married and i'll only set a date once im slimmer

To feel pretty
To be able to walk into any shop and pick up whatever I want off the hanger
Hubby and I would love a baby so really want to be fit and healthy when we ttc
To not be ashamed of how I look

I didnt have 2 worry what 2 wear before i didnt have humps and bumps 2 hide with spanx lol now i have 2 find something 2 flatter me whereas before i could pick almost anything ... im a tight 10 at the moment 12 in most things just want to be back at 8-10 4 my holiday and a healthy 10 stone :)

Cheryl x x

Ela ine said:
I've been on a diet on and off since I was 17. Losing 10lbs, putting it back on and then some etc. It's a vicious cycle!

I have 'started a diet' on Monday mornings, SO many times and for so many different reasons.

To fit in my prom dress
For a boyfriend
To lose some weight before I went to uni
To lose weight for my graduation
To lose weight to work in France
To lose weight for boyfriend #3
To lose weight before I moved to Canada
To lose weight for my MA graduation
To lose weight to look nice as a bridesmaid

I never lost weight, well, not as much as I wanted to anyway, and what I did lose just went straight back on what I 'stopped' dieting.

I am so glad you posted this question, because it made me ask myself *why* I'm on sw right now.

There is no boyfriend, no graduation, no dresses or proms and thankfully, this time I *am* losing weight.

I am losing weight because I am sticking to a plan that is easy to follow and it works.
I'm not giving up (no matter how many times I fall off :p) because I *want* to lose weight for me. I really do.

I want to be able to walk in to any shop and buy nice clothes that I actually like, not just in my size.
I want to be confident when I go swimming/to the gym and not feel like everyone is looking at/judging me
I want to wear LESS clothes on holiday - and not feel I need to cover up in linen trousers (which make me look like a heffer anyway :p)
I want to get up after a night out and NOT have to rush on to facebook to de tag photographs.
I want to lose weight so the wii doesn't berate me for my bmi :p
I want to lose weight so that people will stop saying 'but you have such a pretty face'

I want to lose weight because I am unhappy with the way I look... It's selfish and shallow, I know.. but now.. more than anything I want to lose weight for myself.

And because there is only me to dissappoint, I think this time, maybe... with the help of everyone on here (am so grateful for support on here :hug99) I might actually be able to do it.

I really feel you. I could have written all of this too. I am not alone! Thank you

I want to feel attractive and dress like others my age and not cover up!! x

I got engaged at 15 yrs old, my grandmother thought it best for me to get married quick. I guess I was too rebellious, I got married at 19, many times during the four yr engagement I told my dad I didn’t love him, on the day of my wedding.....all dressed and ready to leave for the venue I begged my Dad not to marry me off and I wasn’t in love with him. But my voice couldn’t be heard; I ended up getting married with no emotions.

A few yrs later I wanted a baby, and had my first son, he was the joy of my life. He gave me a reason to live, 5 months after he was born I found out I was 12 wks pregnant (Shocked). My 2nd son was born with a club foot, so now busy with 2 babies, no time to myself, on top of that a loveless marriage. During my time being a wife, daughter in law and mother, I lost myself, I stopped wearing nice clothes only wore joggers in t-shirts, never had my hair done, no make-up. I didn’t even know what my favourite flower or perfume was.

Six years ago I had another son (very much wanted) he changed the dynamic of the house, my husband has seen the light (after 18yrs) and realised his mistakes.....it may be too late for me but at least the children will have the father they should have had. I found I couldn’t out alone with my youngest son I was scared that if he ran away from me I wouldn’t get to him on time.

Then 2 years ago before joining sw I went to my GP asking for medication for my knees I was suffering with joint problems, he told me to lose weight, I looked at him in denial, I couldn’t understand why he was telling me to lose, I was fine. He stood me on the scales and told me that I was 22 stones. I cried in his office for half an hour........this made me think about me.

I started going to the gym in just over a year I lost 4 stones, a friend told me about sw, I joined in May 2010, lost over a stone by August for a holiday, came back in September, and went into a dark hole. I thought about leaving sw, but recently I came back with the help of members here.

I want to lose weight so I can see my youngest son grow up and get married, I want to feel normal, I want to wear stunning outfits and feel like a women.

I want to live life to the fullest.

xxxxx

Last edited:
Because I'm sick of hiding from the camera :D

ooohh great thread...

I have loads -BUT the 1 thing that sums it up is :-

Simply because I want to see what I am capable of when I don't have fat as a shield, barrier, obstacle, excuse ;)

I didnt have 2 worry what 2 wear before i didnt have humps and bumps 2 hide with spanx lol now i have 2 find something 2 flatter me whereas before i could pick almost anything ... im a tight 10 at the moment 12 in most things just want to be back at 8-10 4 my holiday and a healthy 10 stone :)

Cheryl x x

you will defo be ur healthy 10 before ur holiday...remebr we loose 1 stine and nandos here we come :D

I want to lose weight to be within healthy range (box ticked now) and to look good in my summer clothes (box not ticked yet but by summer it will be)!!!

I got engaged at 15 yrs old, my grandmother thought it best for me to get married quick. I guess I was too rebellious, I got married at 19, many times during the four yr engagement I told my dad I didn’t love him, on the day of my wedding.....all dressed and ready to leave for the venue I begged my Dad not to marry me off and I wasn’t in love with him. But my voice couldn’t be heard; I ended up getting married with no emotions.

A few yrs later I wanted a baby, and had my first son, he was the joy of my life. He gave me a reason to live, 5 months after he was born I found out I was 12 wks pregnant (Shocked). My 2nd son was born with a club foot, so now busy with 2 babies, no time to myself, on top of that a loveless marriage. During my time being a wife, daughter in law and mother, I lost myself, I stopped wearing nice clothes only wore joggers in t-shirts, never had my hair done, no make-up. I didn’t even know what my favourite flower or perfume was.

Six years ago I had another son (very much wanted) he changed the dynamic of the house, my husband has seen the light (after 18yrs) and realised his mistakes.....it may be too late for me but at least the children will have the father they should have had. I found I couldn’t out alone with my youngest son I was scared that if he ran away from me I wouldn’t get to him on time.

Then 2 years ago before joining sw I went to my GP asking for medication for my knees I was suffering with joint problems, he told me to lose weight, I looked at him in denial, I couldn’t understand why he was telling me to lose, I was fine. He stood me on the scales and told me that I was 22 stones. I cried in his office for half an hour........this made me think about me.

I started going to the gym in just over a year I lost 4 stones, a friend told me about sw, I joined in May 2010, lost over a stone by August for a holiday, came back in September, and went into a dark hole. I thought about leaving sw, but recently I came back with the help of members here.

I want to lose weight so I can see my youngest son grow up and get married, I want to feel normal, I want to wear stunning outfits and feel like a women.

I want to live life to the fullest.

xxxxx

You can do this and you will! It sounds to me like you are doing it for yourself and because you want to! Don't give up, we're all here to help! :D

what a lovely thread!

I'm doing this because it's time. I've been big for a long, long time and in January something just clicked in my head.

I'm doing it so the niggling pain in my knee doesn't get worse
I'm doing it so I can keep on not having heartburn all the time (THANK YOU SW, it's amazing)
I'm doing it so I can be me, not "the fat girl"
I'm doing it so I can wear the nice clothes I've put away for "when I'm thinner"
I'm doing it so shopping doesn't depress me
I'm doing it so I'm not ashamed of my body any more.
I'm doing it so people stop pre judging me as lazy.

A) for health reasons, I had to have a back op and also was told my blood pressure was too high on my last pill check, also a skin condition I have means I do not sweat and struggle with overheating in the summer, can get very ill with migraines, hoping less of me will help!

B) to make my husband proud, he loves me regardless of my size and skin and it is this that helps motivate me to want to get nicer clothes and look better for him.

C) we have tickets for Glastonbury and I need to get fitter as there will be a lot of walking involved!

1) To get my BMI low enough to get fertility treatment I've been waiting a decade for.
2) To be able to buy clothes in the shop I work in and them look good.
3) To be healthy

Cos I'm sick of wearing spanx everytime I go out there a pain to pull up alone! ?

But also having started at 18.5 stone I was repulsed by how I looked now having lost over 3 I am starting to appreciate (and so are they boys) that I can look nice when I go out! With my spanx that is!
Everyone deserves and can have the body they want to have!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I haven't started yet but i have a couple reasons:

Living in corfu means in the summer your surrounded by skinnie minnies while i'm sat there sweating like a pig all covered up.

And the second reason is we've been to florida in 2009 & 2010, i was a few stone heavier on the second trip and it spoiled it a bit-was very uncomfortable and tired a lot quicker, we're hopefully going this year as well so i don't want my weight to spoil it this time.

I haven't started yet but I wnt to lose because i have knee pain and breathlessness when walking and climbing stairs. I want to be able to go into any clothes shop and buy my size. Get slim for summer and not having to cover up and sweating like a pig. And to start to like myself as I hate being this weight.

Back