Why Can't I Stick To SW Again?!

bugsbunny2000

Proud to be a LOSER :)
Hi Everyone,

Well from the title of this thread, I think first thoughts would be that I'm just being lazy!

I lost weight with SW, 11lbs in total in a month back in May when I joined a class. I stuck to the diet religiously for that month and had few syns. Then went to work for a summer camp for a month living off mainly Italian food and starbucks and gained 7lbs. When I went back to class I struggled to really lose the weight again, even while doing Kettleworx programme for 4-5weeks! Between then I stopped paying for classes and did it at home (still no weight loss) and then gave up with KWs too!

Now a few months (and xmas) have passed and I'm back up to my starting weight (well, more i think) and want to lose the weight once and for all!! I have joined a gym with my OH and we go a few times a week, and swimming and classes such as Body Pump (intense!). I've tried following SW again but I'm just finding it so difficult - I don't know what I did differently that made me 1) lose weight quickly and 2) enjoy SW. I'm just feeling deprived lately.

Since last Sunday I have lost about 1lb. To me, this is still good seeing as I couldn't 100% stick to SW (though thinking back I think I started the diet from Thurs but have been exercising since 4.01.12). You should also know that Uni is stressful - currently doing a PGCE and I'm up at 6am and home by 5pm most days. So stressed and tired are an understatement. Throw in trying to spend time with my OH and serious money difficulties and dieting is just the last thing on my mind - all i want is some comfort food :(

Any suggestions - though less of the "get over it!" or "try harder" ones please as I've stomached as much of that as I can tonight from my mother who sneered at my 1lb loss saying I could do better.

Just feeling very low right now where all this is concerned and I just for once want to feel pretty. i wouldnt even say my diet was that appalling - I've seriously cut out chocolate - so I don't know what else to do! x

bugsbunny2000 said:
Hi Everyone,

Well from the title of this thread, I think first thoughts would be that I'm just being lazy!

I lost weight with SW, 11lbs in total in a month back in May when I joined a class. I stuck to the diet religiously for that month and had few syns. Then went to work for a summer camp for a month living off mainly Italian food and starbucks and gained 7lbs. When I went back to class I struggled to really lose the weight again, even while doing Kettleworx programme for 4-5weeks! Between then I stopped paying for classes and did it at home (still no weight loss) and then gave up with KWs too!

Now a few months (and xmas) have passed and I'm back up to my starting weight (well, more i think) and want to lose the weight once and for all!! I have joined a gym with my OH and we go a few times a week, and swimming and classes such as Body Pump (intense!). I've tried following SW again but I'm just finding it so difficult - I don't know what I did differently that made me 1) lose weight quickly and 2) enjoy SW. I'm just feeling deprived lately.

Since last Sunday I have lost about 1lb. To me, this is still good seeing as I couldn't 100% stick to SW (though thinking back I think I started the diet from Thurs but have been exercising since 4.01.12). You should also know that Uni is stressful - currently doing a PGCE and I'm up at 6am and home by 5pm most days. So stressed and tired are an understatement. Throw in trying to spend time with my OH and serious money difficulties and dieting is just the last thing on my mind - all i want is some comfort food :(

Any suggestions - though less of the "get over it!" or "try harder" ones please as I've stomached as much of that as I can tonight from my mother who sneered at my 1lb loss saying I could do better.

Just feeling very low right now where all this is concerned and I just for once want to feel pretty. i wouldnt even say my diet was that appalling - I've seriously cut out chocolate - so I don't know what else to do! x

Hey
You need to get your head in the game. Your weight loss last year was excellent, but I think you need to forget about it and pretend like you've never ever done SW before. It's easy to bring yourself down when you think about how youre back to your starting weight, how you didn't manage to stick to it etc and those thoughts are no good. Seriously a positive mental attitude is the key with any healthy eating plan. You've lost a pound in a week - that's great!! Now imagine what you could lose if you stuck to plan 100%!

I understand your uni course must be stressful but why is it affecting SW? Is it that you don't have time to cook SW meals? I love a bit of comfort food and there's so many SW style comfort foods to have, you could have a big cook off at the weekends and have your dinners frozen to take out in the morning before you leave for uni. You can use your syns to treat yourself on chocolate - you shouldn't be feeling deprived. You don't even need to use a lot of syns for a chocolate fix - fun size mars bars or curly wurlys are low in syns.

Ignore your mum! Other people don't have a right to lecture you on your weight loss! It may be her encouraging you but if it's upset you I suggest you just avoid the topic in future, or you could tell her that 1lb losses are amazing and if you lost 1lb a week you could lose up to 3 stone in a year and that's brilliant :)

Only you can make yourself stick to SW, you need to figure out what's stopping you and change it. For me, I never stuck to it because all I did was think of myself as a failure for giving it up the first time round - once I got over that it all fell into place and I love it and have never felt more enthusiastic about SW than I have in these past 9 weeks!

I hope you give SW 100% and lose the weight you want to - cos you can do it :)

Think about why you want to do this.

For me I think:

A) it's good for my health and sanity and not to mention the thought of a lovely wardrobe of thin clothes!

B) if you feel you need support and help or even a 'kick up the bum' like I sometimes do, here is where you can find all of that help

C) look at others for inspiration

D) plan your goals, better to start with small ones and then aim bigger

E) so for me i need to get into planning ahead! So have an idea of what you want for meals

Hope that helps xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thanks guys. I'm now scouting the WWs forum to see if any ex slimming world have done better with WWs (something I've not tried as I think I have a lot of misconceptions about it).

Anyone been a WWer and the switched to SW? Xx

There's also some physiological stuff to consider when you are really stressed out. All to do with release of insulin. Can't remember exactly the things that go on but even for general health purposes you need to get less stressed!

Any time I have lost weight its been in 'happy' times in my life. Try focus on what you can do to be less stressed, more positive and most of all trust yourself and don't listen to others opinions. Not easy but try let it go over your head x

As much as I hate to say it, sometimes it's just not the right time. I think you have a lot on your plate right now, and if dieting is stressing you out, maybe you need to just sit down and have a rethink. If you're stretched to your limit, something's got to give. What can you let go of?
Maybe just concentrate on eating healthy foods, rather than dieting. At least you can do that easily enough without even thinking about it, or how much you're losing.

The sheer amount of times I've started/stopped/started/stopped diets is ridiculous, and I gave myself every excuse in the world. "I don't have time to cook", "I can't get out to the gym with the kids", "I don't like salad", "I deserve something nice in the evenings after a day with the kids", "I just can't do this"... and on and on they went. The simple fact was, none of that was true. I have time at least once a week to batch cook. I don't need to go to the gym - I can go for a walk, WITH the kids. I can have a small treat in the evenings, and still be on plan. I really CAN do this.
It simply wasn't my time. I wasn't ready to commit to it. I was weak and I didn't REALLY want to do it. I didn't want to do it enough, anyway.

All things are achievable, if you want them enough.
Only you can decide if this is your time, or if you want to hold off for a while. There's no shame in it. If you start something you don't really have the heart for, you won't do it, not properly.

Best of luck hun x x

Thanks guys. I'm now scouting the WWs forum to see if any ex slimming world have done better with WWs (something I've not tried as I think I have a lot of misconceptions about it).

HI, i had done SW , then lost track and after about a year my friend asked me join WW with her, 4 months into it and id only lost 4lbs, ( i think that was due to us walking to the class each week, about 2 miles ) the reason it didn't work for me is i didn't really feel i was cutting down on foods i enjoyed and hate a lot on the plan, so 3 months after i rejoined SW and lost a stone in 6 weeks, put it all back on again though, as i migrated, and they don't have SW here in Aus, so here i am again, but doing SW from home, it really has a lot to do with what plan suits you..Good Luck :)

Last edited:
I'm a Nursing student so I can empathise with your long hours & feeling stressed! Best advice I can give it to take plenty of 'free' food with you to snack on & make meals in batches so you can take them for lunch!

Bugsbunny do you have a target to aim for? I always find it easier to stick to plan when I've got a 'reason' to lose weight. This year I've got a lovely holiday to look forward to - I've got a picture of the villa stuck to the fridge to motivate me, plus I can't wait to shop for holiday clothes in small sizes!

I do sympathise with your long hours - I've just qualified as a nurse doing 12 hour shifts and it's so easy just to grab something high fat and comforting when you're exhausted. Being organised is the key for me - I keep a stock of homemade superspeed soup in the freezer, and tins of chickpea dhal/packet pasta for when I really can't be bothered to cook.

Good luck x

bugsbunny2000 said:

I did ww years ago and lost weight but I was always starving!!

I switched to sw and eat so much food I sometimes get fed up of eating! So I'd never go back x

Hiya I did SW when I was pregnant last year and did very well keeping the weight gain down. After my Izzy was born I found having a new baby didn't suit SW and felt WW was better for my lifestyle.

From 16th June to 19th Oct I moved over to WW and lost 2stone but I always kept thinking back to the SW life and decided to come back to SW. I missed the freedom of not having to count or weigh.

I know SW works for losing weight but at the time it didn't suit my then lifestyle. I honestly believe that for a diet plan to work it needs to suit your lifestyle.

Both plans are wonderful, they do give great results, you just need to find the right one for now.

Good luck and hope you can get back on track

Hi hun

Its great to hear from you again. I know how difficult it can be & I know I for one find that my head really needs to be in the right place. I had a week or 2 off plan over Christmas & it honestly was soooo hard getting back onto plan. Try taking it each day at a time & it will get easier but dont be too hard on yourself if it doesnt work out some days. :)

Okay - ome thing about your schedule. Getting up @ 6am & getting home @ 5pm is not a long day. In fact, its 2 hours shorter than the day i do. I still manage to see my hubby, stick to plan, cook all our food, do all our housework. Thats not a reason not to follow it.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but if you allow
Yourself to give yourself excuses like those you will never get your head in the game. Take responsibility. The only person standing in your way is you x

Hi I have lost count of the times I have rejoined WW then SW over the last few years, then last year I did WW new plan & did lose 1 stone 5lbs in 7 months then wham on 1/2 off 1/2 for weeks nothing wrong with WW just my head then gave up going October but half followed it I really thought WW fitted better with family & eating out but due to work commitments needed to change night I go when I decided to go back only class on a Monday here is SW so very sceptical joined last week learnt about EE plan couldn't believe it could or would work - I have loved it I lost 5.5lb in first week, EE will fit in with eating out & family I also worked out 3 days values of food on both SW & WW to see & on WW I ran out of pp well before I had used up my SW quota, but again as others have said everyone is different. Good luck with whatever you choose - but do as I did this time pretend it's the first time you have ever joined a club forget past that way I haven't guessed at anything I have read & re read all info xxx

I read something not long ago that said the brain can only really concentrate on one thing at time so if you've got a lot of uni work on this is going to affect your willpower
You re going to have to super organise yourself and make sure that you've got plenty of sw food prepared and snacks in the fridge etc you can just grab when you need to to make things as easy as possible for yourself try and give yourself some time to plan too
You can do it good luck

Stepout said:
I read something not long ago that said the brain can only really concentrate on one thing at time so if you've got a lot of uni work on this is going to affect your willpower
You re going to have to super organise yourself and make sure that you've got plenty of sw food prepared and snacks in the fridge etc you can just grab when you need to to make things as easy as possible for yourself try and give yourself some time to plan too
You can do it good luck

I totally agree with that - sometimes I think that there's no way I can do a full time job, a part time masters, have a life, exercise, spend time with my OH and think about healthy eating! Something's got to give! But in the end it does come down to planning for me. And taking a few hours on a weekend to plan for the week, batch cook if that's easier for you, and banish all unhealthy things from the house! Super free snacks are brilliant to take to uni. I also like feeling smugly superior to everyone else because you're being healthy and eating well. As a few people have already said - there will always be an excuse for why now isn't the right time to start a "diet". That's the beauty of SW - it's easy! It doesn't feel like a diet, you can have your chocolate at the end of a hard day if you PLAN. There will never be a magically "right" time to do this. You need to take some time to de-stress and re-motivate yourself. I find having a specific goal helps - perhaps your PGCE graduation? A nice new dress? Think of all the shopping! And the Facebook pictures of the new slimmer you :) x

HI, i had done SW , then lost track and after about a year my friend asked me join WW with her, 4 months into it and id only lost 4lbs, ( i think that was due to us walking to the class each week, about 2 miles ) the reason it didn't work for me is i didn't really feel i was cutting down on foods i enjoyed and hate a lot on the plan, so 3 months after i rejoined SW and lost a stone in 6 weeks, put it all back on again though, as i migrated, and they don't have SW here in Aus, so here i am again, but doing SW from home, it really has a lot to do with what plan suits you..Good Luck :)

Congrats! I know that SW works - no doubt - along with just cutting out crap I managed to lose over a stone while at Uni. And 11lbs from May to June... however I have failed to properly commit to it. Think I'm bored of the free foods and typical meals. With WW i think I might do better (hopefully!) as I am excited about it (I had lost excitement for SW), I have a house packed with WW food so I can grab a bag/cake/jar and know that it is THAT many points (SW was a bit hit or miss for me, prob cos i was stuck in a rut). Fingers crossed... going to attend group for a while at least (not that i can afford it in the slightest) but the way I see it, I value my weightloss on the same level as getting my degree: it needs to be done. Once its done yes it must be maintained but the big hurdle has been overcome.

Thanks for the help guys - yes I am a WW convert now (Ive got enough WW products to open my own business lol) thanks for the advice and good luck with your weightloss journeys xx

Back