Why Crabsticks may stall you

Atropos

Gold Member
Crabsticks are made of white fish (good) pulped, flavoured, mixed with other ingredients and steamed.

These are the "other ingredients" typically used (I've bolded the non-dukan bits):

"starch, egg white, salt, vegetable oil, humectants, sorbitol, sugar, soy protein, seasonings, and enhancers such as transglutaminases and monosodium glutamate (MSG)"

Basically crabsticks are the cheap processed ham of the fish world, and just like ham should be used very sparingly, and certainly not as a daily staple.

Cooked prawns, real crab, squid, shellfish, or plain cooked fish slices would be good substitutes - most can be kept in the freezer and cooked from frozen in small quantities, just as you need them.

Last edited:
Humectants are things added to increase the water retention so food seems "moist" (and with more water the food is cheaper)

They are usually some form of industrial sugar.

they give me the boulk :( ... OH eats them by the packet and i mentioned that they could be eaten on this diet so he forced me to try one.... every nibble was torture and i will never try one again LOL

I also love them and couldn't have done the diet without them, I'm now coming to the end of conso and due to start my stabilisation phase and to be honest hardly ever eat them now as there are lots of other things I can eat instead. I know they are not the best thing to eat and everyone is different but they never made me stall at all. I think if you do stall then that would be one of the foods to look at reducing but they're probably not going to make everyone stall

Can only imagine in humectants retain water in crab sticks they will do the same to us when we eat them? I'm giving them a miss for a bit xx

I also love them and couldn't have done the diet without them, I'm now coming to the end of conso and due to start my stabilisation phase and to be honest hardly ever eat them now as there are lots of other things I can eat instead. I know they are not the best thing to eat and everyone is different but they never made me stall at all. I think if you do stall then that would be one of the foods to look at reducing but they're probably not going to make everyone stall

Agree with you Louschu, to some people it may stall them. I had them without a problem... not every day but quite often. So just be careful while eating them. Dr Dukan did say in his book that yes they had sugar and fat but in small quantities... so he was then allowing them. I was very surprised this was allowed but glad as I do love them!:eek:

I can't abide them, I bought three packets at the start of this plan and I ate a total of half of one crabstick... It just tasted so processed and unnatural...I also don't like the look of them! I have bought crab and made my own, MUCH nicer!

So true!
I ate mullerlights and ham throughout cruise - they kept me going.

But I knew why they were problematic, and might end up stalling me if I relied on them rather than fresh food.

My rule of thumb was that anything that has spent time in the factory rather than coming straight from the farm or the sea is going to have added salt, fat and carbs, and should be an emergency food or treat rather than the mainstay of the diet.

I don't like things 'messed around with' so I avoid crabsticks. Tesco often have a 3 for 2 deal on the big bags of frozen seafood they have by the fresh fish counter so I go for those. Steamed prawn balls are delish; just whizz them up with some lemongrass, chilli and fresh coriander in a food processor and steam... They're nice to snack on

hey do sound good.... i need to be a bit more adventurous.... will be easier when im living in one place and have everything at hand ... do you use fresh chillies ? and what about the lemongrass ... ive seen that in a jar in asda beside the easy garlic & ginger

hey do sound good.... i need to be a bit more adventurous.... will be easier when im living in one place and have everything at hand ... do you use fresh chillies ? and what about the lemongrass ... ive seen that in a jar in asda beside the easy garlic & ginger

Before Dukan I did a lot of Asian cooking so I like strong flavours.

I use fresh red chilies but I use Bart's lemongrass that's in a jar...basically because lemongrass stalks cost a fortune and it's only the very soft centre that can be used so a jar works out far more economical overall.

I forgot to mention that you'll need an egg white to bind the prawns together otherwise they'll fall apart when steaming. So basically, fresh (not cooked!) prawns (probably around 250g) into a processor with a tsp lemongrass, 1/4 red chili (deseeded), 1 egg white and a small handful of fresh coriander leaves.

I don't really follow recipes for this type of cooking so sometimes I'll add different things into that - a little garlic, a couple drops fish sauce etc.

I then steam them on a side plate placed in a bamboo steamer that's resting in a wok with a little water on the bottom. However any steamer will do - they don't take long; 10 minutes the way I do them.

Thanks for the extra info - I definitely want to try these - they sound like dim sum - my absolute fave...

thanks... i will definately try this for a change

Mmmmm - sounds fabulous!

Back