Why do I do this - self sabotage

Chiara

Hey Everyone

So last week when I was off work I planned what meals I would be eating this week as on monday started the weight watchers - pro points.

I was doing really well, even had a tuna salad yesterday which I thoroughly enjoyed. In just three days I felt so much better and even my trousers felt a little slacker.

So I thought to myself why not jump on the scales and see if you have lost anything - so I did - I hadnt lost anything.

I know, I know I am my own worst enemy but I just thought if I saw a loss on the scales it would motivate me to carry on. I am currently 20.2 and the weight I am it should be dropping off me - I never went over my points once.

Anyone else a demon to the scales on here?

Chiara
X

Scales can play funny tricks on you. When I used to religiously weigh every week sometimes they'd show no loss even though as you say some clothing felt a better fit, but the week after they'd show a 3-4lb loss instead of the usual 1-2lbs. Nowadays I find a fortnightly/monthly weigh gives you a more accurate guide to how you're doing.

My scales are my frenemy lol one minute they say I lost the next I gained. I hate them but I love them.
Sometimes I get really obsessed and weigh myself daily, I make sure that I am starving hungry and my belly is rumbling and I'm wearing pants and a t-shirt when I do WI. I need to get a grip though lol

I know you probably hear this countless times, but the first few days of dieting are the worst because your not used to putting in such effort into dieting and so you expect to see quick results but the fact of the matter is that you body will retain water in those first few days - im guessing thats why we have weekly WI's :) Its one of the sole reasons most people wont stick to a diet because they dont see the results they expect so quickly.

Stick with it, they say if you can stick to a diet for 3 days then you've done the hardest part. But become obsessed with the scales, its just a number and it can't define you. Take measurements too because some weeks you lose inches instead of lb's. Measure your bust (assuming your female! lol), waist, hips, the widest part of your arms and the widest part of your calves.

Also, diet isn't even the half of it, make sure you drink lots of water to stop the water retention and flush out toxins - even if you drink it as tea or coffee - and try to do some exercise.

Stick with it hun, you'll be glad you did.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I had never heard before that the first three days were the hardest, I am so annoyed because even though the first three days were hard, looking back I was full, I was enjoying the food that I was eating and I just wish I had not weighed myself. I have fallen right off the band wagon.

Well all I can say is that this is a lesson to me and when I start my diet again I think I may not weigh in for at least 2 weeks so that the scales show a decent loss.

Thanks

Chiara

It will be a toughie not weighing in for 2 weeks, just after 1 week should be enough but its completely up to you :)

Good luck!!

I used to do this all the time, weigh in then fall off the wagon :/
I've just started my new diet (SW) and have told myself not to even think about weighing myself until after a week, just so I don't discourage myself haha. Hope you feel more positive about it soon! :)

I saw someone I used to be really good friends with and she's lost loads of weight, and being the competitive person that I am I just cant let her be slimmer than me haha! She looks great too, and its made me realise what I can achieve so I'm definitely back on. Have started really positive, though I wanted to start C25K training today but I haven't been able to do I'm starting tomorrow. I used to love jogging so I'm glad that I've got my motivation back. Its a brilliant feeling!

Its a great motivator though haha. Im hoping to start exercising today, from the body magic manual it says I should do 5-10 minutes and make it a habit, so I'm jumping on the exercise bike. hoping ill stay as motivated :)

Back