Why do you want to lose weight?

I'll pardon my french in advance...

but my reason is that I'm SH*T scared of hitting 30 and finding it twice as difficult as I usually do to lose the weight... the whole metabolism slowing down, middle-aged spread thing petrifies me..... I'm worried I'll spiral and always be the "big girl"....

Hey sweetie that's NOT SO! 30 is no age, and I don't think this middle-age thing comes into play until at least 50, 60 (hmm how many ppl can I offend in one go?).
Also - it's not like you flick a switch at 30 (or 40 as in my case). the switch is all in your mind and I'm sure me losing weight is as easy / hard this year as last year although probably harder than it was 10 years ago, yes.

My mum is past 70 and defo on the heavy side but even she manages to lose weight still when she puts her mind to it & exercises portion control without any extra measures. She was very interested in Dukan and how I was getting on and I expect she'll be trying it soon (once back from yet another trip).

I was overweight at 12... rising to morbidly obese by 30-38 years. Heck I wore my first pair of jeans EVER at 38.

30 is NO age!!

It's really interesting to see our different reasons for wanting to slim... (again for some of us)

I presume, like me, you dieted as a child then? Voluntarily?

I was about 11stone at nine. dieted then dunno how much i weighed really think i was around 10 1/2 stone for ages. then bro died and i went down to 8 1/2 stone!

I started dieting at 12, weighing 10 stone, because I had an after school job helping out a lady who ran a modelling agency. She offered me a course IF I lost some weight!

So MODELLING made me fat, haaaaaaaaaaaa!!

aww Jo and did you lose the weight?

no... that must have been the start of the slippery slope, particularly when you think how delighted I'd be now with 10 stone (I was fully developed at 12 so must have been this tall).

its terrible. i was a fat child (coco pops and mums cakes) and i think i dieted out of choice at when i was about 13.
mydad always called me fat and someones mother did too :( upset me

I didn't start dieting until I hit 16....no idea how much I topped the scales at by that point... it was low cal low fat and exercise...sorta worked....

i think all our thoughts of why we want /need to lose weight are all good .......

so ladies well done to everyone and good luck with everything !!!

and some people/parents and freinds dont realise how they can hurt u with the things they say and do !!!

so i always treat people with the way i would like to be treat myself !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have always been chubby and was called it by everyone, even my mum and dad. I have a tendency to over eat, but on 'other diets' such as slimming world the 'eat as much as you want' thing really messed me up, I can eat and eat and eat and never be full up, I have always been like that. I need things to occupy myself with, but after the 30th when Emma goes full time I wont need to eat, I wont be bored, even if I cant think of anything to do I wont be bored, I love my own company, and can get so much more done if theres nobody else around.
My mum is very over weight and is always giving me her advice about when she was slim this is how she did it and blames everything on her working nights. because its put her body clock out of synch, There is possibly truth in that, I remember reading something somewhere , but shes been fat longer than in her job so thats actually that out the window.
I will get back to 'normal' I know I will, My life is about to change and all will fall into place. But I think Dukan is going to play a big part in realigning my diet thoughts and putting them back on track

This might sound silly but there is one thing I really want to be able to do! Pull on a pair of skinny dark denim jeans and a white vest and look good, not with muffin tops and love handles! My sister is about 5inches taller than me and a size ten and that is the one outfit that I envy her the most in....not going out clothes or fancy things like that! I think its because I find it hard to get everday clothes to flatter me, and if you look good in jeans and a vest you are sorted!

Also...I'm really hoping to have breast reducution surgery done, and have a consultation in the Autumn with the surgeon. There is a possibility that if I am of a healthy BMI then my health insurance will cover it! That is a massive incentive but I still couldnt get it together on SW or WW.

niki hun ur reason for wanting to slim is not silly ,that is ur choice and why not ,i dont blame u for wanting to look and feel confident and good about urself ..

i remember the only time i thought i looked good because i got a certain comment of a friend's partner but the timing was crap because my son had to go to brimingham for a biospy(it eneded up being bone cancer)

anyway i had on a pair of skinny blue jeans and a shirt with a tank over type top on nad he said wow look at u !!

i felt good but sad all at the same time ,i was 8 st 13 that was last march !!!

so anybody's reason's are good ones !!!

I'm very sorry to hear about your son Jet, my family have been very badly affected by cancer over the past few years too. Sometimes I feel bad moaning about it when I think of my aunt who is very ill at the moment, or those that we have already lost! But we all have to look after our own health too, and thats what our loved ones want us to do! xx

hey niki its ok just hard copin ,he has been gone 7 month's and was 19 !!

and has u say life does go on and if u want to moan u go ahead because i still moan too

thanks for ur comments and im so sorry to hear of ur aunt fingers crossed hunny !!!

Back