Why isn't a loss happening?

kingleds said:
????On what bit exactly??? :)

I think you're both trying to say similar things but slightly differently.

You do affect your short term weight loss by exercising and building muscle. You may retain water and not lose pounds. However, in the long term as you gain more muscle you burn fat better and lose more weight. Additionally you tone up and should lose inches even if you're not losing pounds at first. Just make sure you drink loads of water to make up for the retention. Don't forget your muscles keep working for at least 24 if not 48 hrs after training and you need more water throughout this time.

So a good workout should include both cardio and weights. And OP, your husband should not need protein shakes unless he is seriously body building. Theyre a waste of syns unless he really needs to bulk up and body build. Just make sure that you do eat some protein in the 45mins - 1hr after your exercise - preferably something "clean" like meat or cheese etc.

Hope that helps! X

KatD90 yes I think so :) But I have been back on my heavy weightlifting routine and short-term I have lost pounds and inches with the advice from my weightlifting buddies - but then we are all different and our bodies all work in mysterious ways :) xx

To the op-have u both measured yourselves? If your partner is exercising then chances are hes lost inches instead of weight.
Me and my sister weigh similar amounts,are the same height etc but I exercise 6 times a week-the difference is 3 dress sizes!
The tape measure wins over the scales any day xx

Ditch the protein shakes! Have you tasted how awesomely sweet and delicious they are?

If it's just protein he is after (and not a post-workout treat) he should skip the omlet and take the egg whites to drink. Or a chicken breast is easy too.

Wholefoods do free range egg white in a carton, very easy for protein omelettes :)

Excuses about exercise? I was only saying what the personal trainer told me. No excuses here I go 3-4 times a week! And I was saying to aim for more cardio not stop the muscle building exercises. Any weight loss that slows will catch up eventually.

I swear by the tape measure as well... Well a piece of string actually... If the numbers on the scale aren't moving the seeing the inches shrink may give your DH the boost he needs!

Or a new party trick.. Today I discovered today I can get my old trousers down without undoing them! It's not easy if one of you is loosing and not the other but I'm sure if you both continue to support each other you will reach your goals and lead a healthy life.

Excuses about exercise? I was only saying what the personal trainer told me. No excuses here I go 3-4 times a week! And I was saying to aim for more cardio not stop the muscle building exercises. Any weight loss that slows will catch up eventually.

Wasn't meaning you personally - I did mention that to you in a PM xx

Thank you for all of your advice and comments - it's made for some interesting reading.

This week he seriously upped his cardio work, having one gym session where he did a really tough circuits class instead of his usual training (it almost killed him!) and two sessions where he did his usual mixture of cardio and weights and lo and behold, on yesterday's weigh-in he had lost 5lbs in comparison to last week! Unbelieveable!! We'll see how it goes next week as well, but it has put him comfortably in the next stone down range so he's over the moon.

I think it's definitely proving that you can get stuck in a routine and need to mix things up a bit, and that sometimes, despite all your efforts, it does take your body a little while to show the results - a month in this case! We will definitely be doing some of the suggestions you have given over the next few weeks. Thanks again guys! :)

Thats great! We all have funny slow turns, and changing things up seems to do the trick! The most important thing really, is just not giving up.

Best of luck to you both!

Well done to your hubby! It just shows that it's worth changing things up and what worked at the beginning doesn't always continue to work.

At the start of my journey I could have more than 15 syns a day and still lose but 18 weeks and I need to be more vigilant.

Back