Why isn't it working?

Harrie

Silver Member
Hello everyone

I've used SW before with good results. Now I need to lose 4kg to get back to goal, but ideally I'd like to lose 6 to get to the weight I've always dreamed off.

But this time it isn't working. I've weighed myself every day and in my first week, I was even heavier one night :eek: On Monday - 6 days in - I thought I'd lost 0.5kg, which is better than nothing, but then last night, I was only 200g less than I was the week before :cry:

Why??????

What kind of things are you eating? Are you already underweight? Are you eating enough? Have you tried success express?

Ooh i don't understand all your kg and grams lol.
I'm a stone and pounds girl. x

Hi Harrie, probably best not to weigh yourself every day, it can really make you feel bad if you don't see the loss you want! Just pick one day and time and wait a week.....it will work!
I'm struggling to get back to target at the moment and want to get to 3 under if I can before I go away on hols so I know how you feel.
Just stick with it - remember, it doesn't come off as quickly when you don't have much to lose. If you have been good it will show on the scales eventually. :)
Good luck! Jay x

Don't panic! Now, write everything down, (and it has to be everything! Drink plenty of water. Don't try and cut corners! Or your body will hold onto everything it's got. Please try and not weigh yourself every day as your body weight will fluctuate (that's a hard one!)
Why don't you put a days food on here and we'll be able to see if you are slipping up, or whether your body is just adjusting? I bet you shed a great lump next week!

Don't worry and please don't weigh yourself every day. If you go to a class just weigh in there and if you do it at home just pick one day and weigh yourself at the same time. When i done sw for the 2nd time round i only lost half a pound in week 1 then 5 and a half the 2nd week. Keep a note of everything you are eating, if you start a diary on the thread people will tell you if you are going wrong somewhere. I've even heard of people gaining weight in their first week before balancing out the next week. Don't give up though stick with it, you know it works as it has done before x

As others have said...

Don't weigh every day!

Keep a food diary, up your exercise and stick with the plan. It'll work :) You've done it before and you said it worked, so you know you can do it again. If it isn't working this time you need to pinpoint where you are going wrong, so that's where your diary will help. Be honest with yourself about what you're eating.

Good luck

Thanks all. I´ve been doing a mix of green and red days, with lots of exercise (yuk) each day. I live in Madrid, so it's hard without a group support - which is why this forum is so good.

My (red) menu for today is:

Breakfast: Two small slices brown bread toasted, quark and tomatoes
Mid-morning: Apple
Lunch: Two small slices brown bread, quark and ham. Salad (red vinegar, no dressing).
Mid-afternoon: Tangerine.
Dinner: Grilled fish (best part of living in Spain!) with salad (again, red vinegar and no dressing).

Husband´s hidden the scales until next Monday!

Thanks all. I´ve been doing a mix of green and red days, with lots of exercise (yuk) each day. I live in Madrid, so it's hard without a group support - which is why this forum is so good.

My (red) menu for today is:

Breakfast: Two small slices brown bread toasted, quark and tomatoes
Mid-morning: Apple
Lunch: Two small slices brown bread, quark and ham. Salad (red vinegar, no dressing).
Mid-afternoon: Tangerine.
Dinner: Grilled fish (best part of living in Spain!) with salad (again, red vinegar and no dressing).

Husband´s hidden the scales until next Monday!

Hi hun, to be honest i don't think you are eating enough, that is in my opinion but maybe others will disagree. xx

I know that there have been people on here and certainly in my class that didn't lose weight due to not eating enough.

A typical red day for me would be:

Breakfast: Toast (hexb) bacon, eggs, bowl of fruit topped with yoghurt

Lunch: Chicken salad, with lots of cooked chicken, lettuce tomatoes , beetroot, hard boiled eggs (if you like) and i often have some rice cakes or snack a jacks alongside it and syn them.
Oh and some cheese or laughing cow as hexa
Dinner: either fish or meat, with jacket potato and pleanty veg.

Spend rest of syns on chocolate or a small glass of wine and snack on fruit and yoghurts if i'm hungry, sometimes cooked cold low syn sausages or sandwich ham.

Hope this helps x

I try not to do syns because it's impossible to track them here in Madrid (we don't even have Muller yoghurts :-( ) and him indoors refuses to cook without olive oil (yup, he does the cooking :) ).

But really, can I be eating too little to lose weight?

I try not to do syns because it's impossible to track them here in Madrid (we don't even have Muller yoghurts :-( ) and him indoors refuses to cook without olive oil (yup, he does the cooking :) ).

But really, can I be eating too little to lose weight?

Yes you can, someone in my class wasn't eating enough and she went away and ate lots of extra free food and she lost weight consistently when she started eating more. I am not saying go overboard but try and add some extra free food. Can't you get very low fat yoghurt in spain (it is free) and you should really use your syns so that if you hit plateau you have something to cut back on xx

Thanks, Bettylollipop (I used to work in Glasgow, btw. Great city. Love the Horseshoe bar. Lived in Edinburgh, tho, so it was a horrible commute). I'll get some yogs today and try to eat more. Tucking into salad as I write!

It's really hard trying to find fat-free (there are yogs) stuff in Spain. Cottage cheese is full fat. All pasta sauces, the same. I have to go to an exercise shop to buy frylight (and then it's the olive oil green one). And EVERYTHING is fried! I go back to the UK in six weeks (hence the diet) and am going to stock up on whatever I can.

I agree that you're probably not eating enough too.

I can see why it's hard for you (coming from an Italian family) but don't forget that you can have olive oil as one of your healthy extras (can't remember how much, not got my book but I think it's a tablespoon) so your hubby can cook with it, just ask him to go slightly easy!
Along with all that fish, you must have great fruit and veg in Spain, so rather than just having an apple and a tangerine, have some other stuff too. How about eggs? And I'm sure you can make some 0syn pasta sauces with veg and tinned tomatoes.

I find I don't do that well if I eat too much bread, so I only have one of my HExs as bread to try and minimise that.

Good luck, I can see how it's a struggle but I am sure you can work round it :)

Definitely not eating enough Hun! Just think how your car runs alot better with a full tank than the bottom 2" of fuel. My guess is your Calorie count is so low your body's holding on to what it has.The other thing is you seem to be having the same thing for brekky and lunch. You might be better to try different things. I know that I don't lose as well when I have bread (and I love it!) But on red I would only have it once

I would have potato for the other hex b or some sort of pulse.
You could have a neutral breakfast, I often have an omelette, but on red then I'd have bacon as well and if you needed a HB you could add in toast or beans and have tomatoes and mushrooms!
Do make the most of your free food, your body will thank you for it!

Last edited:
Back