why oh why is it so hard...

L.i.n.d.a

Fatgirlwannabeslim
To start sw
To change
To be slim
Im missing happiness...or rather contentedness as happiness is momentary...
Why is it so hard
To finally live my life.

We'll get there in the end.

I'm 23 and I've always been overweight. Sometimes I see people who seem to lose weight almost as soon as they've thought about doing it and I feel like I'm the only person in the world who can't do it.

I find coming on here reminds me that for many it's a continued struggle, and it's seeing those people succeed that makes me realise one day I'll get there too.

Stay strong and tomorrow will be a better day :) x

You know what ... just start! You've been posting here for a while and are (I think) still to start? Okay, you may not feel ready to take that step and go along to class but start today by just making one little change. Take control of one little thing in your life be it having breakfast every day, switching to frylight instead of oil, having at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day, or getting off the bus a few stops early and walking the rest of the way. Small steps are not hard and can make a big difference. When you see yourself achieving that they often lead to another change and another. But doing nothing changes nothing and no amount wishing and wondering will alter that. So take that first step today and make a difference.

My health board is running a campaign on this at the moment with lots of helpful hints on small changes you can make that will make a difference to your health.

http://www.nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk/MediaCentre/Campaigns/SmallStepsBigDifference/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.takelifeon.co.uk/

You know what ... just start! You've been posting here for a while and are (I think) still to start? Okay, you may not feel ready to take that step and go along to class but start today by just making one little change. Take control of one little thing in your life be it having breakfast every day, switching to frylight instead of oil, having at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day, or getting off the bus a few stops early and walking the rest of the way. Small steps are not hard and can make a big difference. When you see yourself achieving that they often lead to another change and another. But doing nothing changes nothing and no amount wishing and wondering will alter that. So take that first step today and make a difference.

Couldn't agree more!!!
Baby steps.
Just think a few changes could lead to a 1lb loss each week (forget the huge losses) which is 3 stone 10lb loss in a year!
Go for it girl, where with you all the way

The hardest thing to do is to make the decision to do all those things. After the first step, it becomes easier.
Nobody said losing weight was easy honey; but living a half-life, feeling unhealthy and miserable, wishing you could change and not believing you can do it is FAR more difficult.
Every journey starts with that first, breath-taking, scary step.
Walk with us

X

As has already been said, baby steps, even if you don't feel confident to go to class, making the small changes helps, use fry light instead of oil, cut all fat off meat...

Try finding a SW recipe in here for your favourite meal (or ask on here if you can't find it, I'm sure one of us can help) go the whole hog, stater, main and even dessert, I found once I realised how easy it was making the change to the SW way of eating it wasn't so scary!

Linda... I'm not trying to be rude, though I realise sometimes we can come across that way. But... I've yet to see one, just one upbeat post from you hun. You seem to be very unhappy, unconfident and full of doom and gloom.
I think (if you'll excuse the expression) you need to pull the finger out and do something about the whole thing. Your weight, your happiness, your confidence, and those unsupportive people in your life. After all, we all know who we're friends with when they need us... but we know who's friends with us when we need them. So round up some real friends and ask them to help and encourage you.
We can only do so much in the virtual world. We're not beside you in the supermarket while you pick up those bars of chocolate or those crisps, or whatever. We can't remind you right then that you want to lose weight more than you want that fatty treat.

As others have said... you need to start. And once you do you'll wonder what took you so long :D

To start sw
To change
To be slim
Why is it so hard
To finally live my life.

You don't have to be slim to live your life, nor to be happy or content. These things are not about weight, they are about a state of mind.

The time to start taking control and organising your life the way you want it to be is NOW. If you wait, you are wasting valuable time.

Pre SW I used to go to the gym (didnt watch what I ate so never lost weight) snd really wanted to start running. I bought a fitness magazine with a headline on the cover which said 'how to be a runner!' so I snapped it up.

When I got to the article, the headline was 'how to be a runner!' and the article said...

start running

I think the same applies to losing weight.

Good luck :trafficlight:

Hi Linda.
Welcome to the best club on this forum! remember the SW journey starts with taking the first step.
Give yourself a target and go for it, don't let others stop you, you are doing it for yourself!
If you fancy any type of recipe then ask as it's more then likely to be available in a SW format, if not, we will try to make it so!
Go to your local SW class where you will receive a warm welcome, your weight will never be revealed to the others, it's your secret if you want it to be.
Good Luck.
Pete

Change that miserable profile picture for a happy one! Even just something as simple as a smiley face can lift your mood.

Perhaps you need to go & see your GP & perhaps get help for how you are feeling? I changed my anti-depressants a while ago & I have never looked back, not saying my life is perfect but it's a damn site better. Loosing the weight is boosting my self esteem no end :)

I don't think it is hard I think its all about the state of mind you are in, and if your head isn't in the right place and you don't have the willpower and motivation then your never going to do this.
How do I know well I'm a serial SW member and can count on more than one hand how many times I've joined and until this time, each time has been unsucessful because although I knew what I wanted my head wasn't in the right place.
If you look at SW with a negative view point you'll never start and you'll never do it. I really do think that you need to go and think about what it is really want before embarking on this journey or it will just be a waste of time and you will lose confidence in the plan, even though its not the plan that's the problem.
I hope you find your Mojo :)
Oh and once you know what you want you will discover that starting SW is easy and the best plan by far.

\Yes S W is definately the best weight loss plan by far. Is there really any other??????????? No sometimes its not easy, I have been doing it now since Jan got to target July and still within target band now. Its a way of life I dont feel deprived but I am careful of what I put in my mouth now. I just dont think about what I pick up when I shop, the fry light, the fat free yoghurts, the lean meat and fish, the fruit and veg, its just second nature. If yr in the zone you will do it, but you have to be commited and motivated. You will get a lot of support on here, go for it, you wont regret it. But you have to give it yr all. x

I honestly don't see the point in yapping about your weight and how down you feel etc unless you're going to do something about it! Sorry if that sounds harsh but it had to be said!! I yapped about my weight for years and did sweet FA about it, i'd be moaning about it while munching into a bag of crisps....how pathetic is that!

You either want to loose weight or you don't, I agree with Mandy all your posts are doom & gloom, you have nothing good to say about yourself, the glass is always half empty!

You are in the right place for advice but we can only help someone who wants to help themselves, we can't do the hard work for you, whats stopping you from joining a class? everyone there is in the same boat whether it be 2 stone or 20 stone they have to loose, you will meet new friends and look forward to going every week and seeing what everyone has been up to and what new recipes they have etc

Only you can do this Linda no-one else, so you have to decide whether you want to or not! :)

L.i.n.d.a said:
To start sw
To change
To be slim
Why is it so hard
To finally live my life.

Sorry to be blunt but you seem very deppressed,have you know one,oh,friend,workmated you can talk to?

Sent from my E15i using MiniMins

Scared to change even though you are unhappy. It's very common and harder the longer it goes on. You need to take control and only you can do it. SW just gives you the tools. You need to think positive.

I also think that if you are overwhelmed you should integrate into the plan slowly. So week one eat a third super free with every meal but nothing else. Week two monitor your healthy extras as well as a third superfree but nothing else. Week three follow plan to the full with maximum syns and plan each meal. By week four you will bd flying and each element will be a habit rather than an overhaul. I know there are people who will disagree with me but I think an all or nothing approach does not work. Then when you are steadily losing you can evaluate all the other things in your life that you have been holding yourself back from.

Dedicate half an hour a day to planning meals, looking through the previous day to pinpoint mistakes and just generally chat to us lot.

One of the most positive things you can do is find substitutes for your favourite non slimming things.

Good luck missus!!

Keep at it girl and one day it WILL click.

Agreed!! In the last 2 years (at least) I must have joined SW and WW at least 10 times. I didn't stick at it, because it hadn't 'clicked' or felt the right time. Now, I can honestly say that it's easy- because it was the right time this time. I don't think that you can force it, but on the other hand you can certainly make those 'baby steps' mentioned in previous posts. I've been walking with my OH after work every evening for the past 2 years, and even though it didn't make me lose weight (because I was still stuffing my face with crap) it gave me something to look forward to in the evening- a bit of fresh air and a chance to unwind after work. Now, those daily walks are helping me to shift the flab. Try to get into some good habits (not necessarily food related) and other good health habits may well follow!

Last edited:
Just wanted to add that although yes, only you can make a change, having been clinically depressed (as many people may have been at some point in their lives) I know what a dark place it is. It's not exactly a lifestyle choice and it can feel impossible to stop feeling pessimistic and like you will never feel happy again. If you could just 'be positive' again, believe me, you'd do it in a heartbeat.

Sometimes the worst thing to do is to tell someone to try and be positive, sometimes the best thing to do is just to listen.

Back