Why rush to lose the weight?

i really do feel for those ttc i know how heartbreaking it is seeing your period every month.
i ttc for my son for 5 years and had 3 m/c. i have pcos and endos
have u tried reflexology i found it helped with ttc and the pain of my endos
i wish u all the look in the world

As always Jaylou, you speak absolute sense (and I can't rep you either!)

I have read up a lot on sustainable weight loss over the last couple of years and all articles seem to agree on the same principles:

- Choose a non-radical method of dieting that allows you a normal healthy balanced diet, with restrictions on high sugar/fat foods
- Use a programme that promotes a slow and steady weight loss
- Introduce regular exercise, not just as a way of losing weight but as a way of being more active for life

The reason why most diets fail, is too much is expected too quickly and the targets and limitations set are unrealistic for a lifetime change. We are all guilty of wanting things NOW, not just weight loss, but I think this is something that can't be rushed if you need to re-establish a healthy relationship with food and your body.

And, like funcurls, and many others on here, I am proof that 1lb a week all adds up..........

I'm happy to lose 1 lb per week. I have a lot to lose and know that this will take me to August 2011 to achieve. However, I've had a really nice tea (that my husband could eat too - AND more importantly NOT complain about!!), I'm proud of what I've achieved so far AND I'm sat here eating chocolate - Who's dieting?!?!!??!?!! :D

And remember minims, if we could all lose the weight overnight, WE'D MISS OUT ON ALL THE SHINYS !!!!!!! (I LOVE my shiny stickers!!!!!)

Hi, great post. My 2 stone 5lb gain took about 3 years to put on - it's not gonna come off in 5 mins! I am happy with a 1lb a week loss. Gentle and steady.

I am 46 and aware, as was mentioned in an earlier post, if you lose it too quickly, you can end up with a caved in face! Not attractive! What's the rush, anyway. I am enjoying the journey.

I've lost less than a pound a week on average but after a year I've lost three stone. I'm not at target yet but I'm already so much slimmer and feel great.

I don't mind losing gradually as the journey has been so enjoyable. I've been able to eat really great, healthy food and even have a good drink at weekends. I can still have my treats but best of all I don't have to go hungry.

If you're on a diet where you have to really work hard and deprive yourself, you probably want to lose weight as quickly as possible so that you can stop the deprivation. However, with a diet like SW it's easy to keep it going because you don't have to suffer. Despite the rules of SW there is still an enormous variety of food you can eat to satisfaction. Why hurry it when it's so good? It's a plan for life so there's plenty of time.

I've lost 2st 1lb (yes that 1lb makes a difference!) since August, but with a few months "off-plan" I've worked it out to be about a pound a week. I'm really happy - on SW I've never been hungry, never been deprived and not had to make massive changes to my diet, just little tweaks. In the past I've totally deprived myself of food - I lost weight quickly but put it all back on when I went back to my old eating habits! SW has taught me a new way of eating, and the fact it's a slow process is helping the new eating habits become more of a permanent lifestyle.

Hi all - I think this is a great thread. I too am guilty of wanting to lose quickly. I originally lost 7 stone in 6mths and I was so poorly after it - in terrible pain when I then ate anything "naughty" and was pretty miserable. Inevitably - I put 4 stone back on. Then lost 3, then put 2 back on etc. With SW I really feel I am learning to eat properly for the rest of my life, and even though I do feel happier on the weeks I lose more, I don't let a gain or STS throw me off course. Plus I can have a life while still losing weight which I couldn't on the old restricted plan.
I think the other thing, in my case anyway, is losing so quickly before, my mind hadn't caught up with my body. I wasn't used to the extra attention from all sides (including guys) and I felt very self conscious and uncomfortable. I was also still dressing as if I was almost 20 stone, and it has taken probably the last 3 years to start to be more confident. With a gradual loss - I really think I'd have been happier and more prepared.
Anyway, sorry for going on. I'll probably still end up posting at some point about how I want to lose weight quickly for my wedding, but in reality I know that slow, steady and sustainable is the way to go! x

Ive been thinking about this since my last post, i think that the main reason i am disapointed with a small loss, sts or gain sometimes is that we have all been brought up in life with the 'work hard and you'll be rewarded' system. ie work hard at school get 'house points' (as they were called at mine) or certificates. Work hard at work and you'll get a pay rise / promotion. So when it comes to the diet i think i link it with that, work hard on the diet and i'll see a good loss on the scales. But this isnt always true as my body doesnt work by this system - its very stubborn and works by the 'i'll move when i damn well please' approach lol

I am happy now with 1lb a week and a good boost every now and again as a suprise :) xx

When I did weight watchers, the weight came off very quickly. However as soon as I fell off plan it went back on as quick as it came off. With slimming world the weight comes off at a nice steady pace for me and I am most happy with that. I feel the healthiest I have in ages.

I never understand the urge for it to come off quickly. It is well known that a healthy weight loss is 1-2lbs a week, you really shouldnt be losing more than that, after the first few big losses that some have when starting a diet. The occasional 3 to 4lbs here and there is normal, but 1-2lbs is much more realistic.

Back