Why rush to lose the weight?

Yes, what a brilliant post (as usual)!!! Like Malaika, I'm unable to rep you again (spreading the love around etc!LOL!) but I'd like to thank you! I am guilty as charged for feeling deflated when I haven't lost or have 'ONLY' lost 1/2 or 1 lb!!! Especially when I've been sticking to the plan! The truth is, when I started SW I never imagined that all my 'little losses' would add up to 33lb which is where I am today! We also forget that although we may not have had huge losses, if we've been largely sticking to plan (even if not every day), we have been following a healthy lifestyle, probably far healthier than our pre-SW days, which in itself is a tremendous acheivement to be proud of!! I put 4 stone on over 6 years, which is less than 1lb per month so as you say, it's not likely to all come off in 4 months, as some diets claim to acheive!! OK, rant over!! Great to see positive posts from peeps who know what they're talking about!!XXX

question girls, how do you 'rep' someone?!

i think this is a really interesting topic, and i guess it's human nature to want the weight to fall off. i know if there was a diet where you could do it for two weeks and end up with a body like megan fox's forever we'd all be there! but unfortunately it's not likely!

losing slowly is the healthiest way to lose and the most likely way of keeping the weight off. also, with this FABULOUS diet it doesn't really feel like dieting! so we're eating lovely food all the time and losing weight! win win!

Thank you for this thread, im what most people call a 'slow loser' averaging at 1lb a week and tbh at first i found this really frustrating, i had a great 100% attitude but felt my results didnt reflect my hard work.

It took me a while to realise my body will do what it wants, all i can do is follow the plan and be patient. As long as im doing my bit, when it's ready, my body will follow

xx

You click on the little white symbol that looks like a cauliflower at the bottom of your statistics column (it's actually a pair of scales!!) XXXX

Well this is totally me. not just with weight but in every aspect of my life! lol ... I think about losing weight loads but as soon as i'm in the zone I want to lose it all straight away as fast as I can. so Im then too strict in my diet expecting big losses. But what happens is that im so strict with myself that I binge or so strict that I don't lose weight because I don't eat enough. It's takes me ages to get into the Slimming World Zone as I call it where I am steadily losing, small losses and feel ok with it, the feeling of being in a healthy lifestyle. But this yo-yo style has probably meant its taken me longer to lose weight than it might have if I just let it ride in my SW Zone, happy with whatever losses came, and not worried or obsessed about every little thing and not constantly looking on the internet for some magical cure to losing weight fast as there isn't one - duh! lol

This dieting malachy is so complicated to me, but I think it's because I have made it so. Plus I'm a total comfort eater and I have to deal with that and so I also need to teach myself out of that habbit :(

For example, after the threads about calorie counting I tried to do the both, silly I realise now. As I couldn't cope with it. They are totally different styles of weight control. And it's taken me on a long journy away from my goal over the last few weeks.

I need a fresh outlook to all this dieting I think. Scrub my mind of all the yo-yo-ing for the last 15 yrs and just do the SW plan 100%. It does work, I just need to stick with it and let my body do the rest of the work

That prob makes no sense But I feel better for saying it lol :)

Last edited:
thanks girls, get it now!

You're so right Jaylou. Since getting to target and when people compliment me on my weight loss their first question is how long did it take you? They aren't asking which diet or anything else.
I say it took years, because it did. Iit was very slow and it gave me a lot of insight into what suits me, what affects my weight and I definitely realised that this is for life.
People look disappointed when I say it took years, I think they really want me to say that I'd found a miracle, speedy weight loss method that they could copy and that wouldn't require much effort on their behalf.

Great post - and so true. I really want a stone off....before the weekend!!!!

Great post and how true it would be fab to do it quickly but it takes its time...as we all know!
I do sometimes think at group, especially being someone with a lot to lose, the expectations/pressure is on to lose big amounts and a lb or 2 isn't enough. After all the slimmer of the week is the one who has lost the most that week...but that isn't always representative.....say someone whos affected by their star week may have made enormous efforts to maintain or even lose but because it doesn't show as a big loss on the scales they aren't slimmer of the week......
Its nice to get rewards from group/others etc but this is making me think I need to be patient with myself and not pressured to lose lots quickly etc hmmm......

I don't know, I just look at chocolate and I've put a pound on so the weight took no time to attach itself to my hips!

But you're so right. Last year, I had an ephiphany after only losing 100g in a week (a quarter of a pound). I was in the shower when it suddenly hit me that I'd LOST weight. I hadn't put it on. I was lighter than I was the week before and that was something to be happy about. So it wasn't 3-4lbs, it was still a loss.

I think SW is a great diet and I feel really healthy being on it and if I lose weight (or maintain) slowly, then great. This is for the rest of my life, not just a few months.

You're so right Jaylou. Since getting to target and when people compliment me on my weight loss their first question is how long did it take you? They aren't asking which diet or anything else.
I say it took years, because it did. Iit was very slow and it gave me a lot of insight into what suits me, what affects my weight and I definitely realised that this is for life.
People look disappointed when I say it took years, I think they really want me to say that I'd found a miracle, speedy weight loss method that they could copy and that wouldn't require much effort on their behalf.

Eternity, you are so right. People kind of expect to hear about some magic plan and are disappointed when they hear it does take some effort.
Last year my SIL did one of the supplement plans (I can't remember which) and she lost about 3 stone in 2 1/2 months. Her body looked good but she looked like she aged so much in her face. I thought it was losing weight too quickly. At that point I had lost about half a stone with SW, and she said she could never do it as it's too slow. She wants to see progress straight away. Each to their own, I thought.
Anyway, last week I saw her for the first time since then. She has put on a stone since, and even though she says she is eating controlled meals (is she?) she can't seem to shake it off..... and there was me, losing slowly, eating well and enjoying it, and slow as mine was in comparism, I have lost more than her and am really happy!! :)

My desire to lose weight quick is because I want to get pregnant asap. I'm 26, have been trying for 10 years with PCOS and 3 miscarriages, and the doctor says it'll get harder for me to catch and stay pregnant as the years go by, and we've tried all the meds we can for now. Weight loss is my only option.

But I fully accept that it's going to be slow for me, and that I have to be 100% every day (as shown by this weeks 2lb gain!). Better that I'm slimmer but healthier when it happens, rather than starving my body, getting thinner, but then not having the nutrients needed for a healthy baby.

I'll admit to frustration and disappointment with how long it has taken me to lose a decent amount (until a couple of weeks ago when my loss picked up a little after me deciding to limit carbs and drink green tea), but it relates to me wanting to be slimmer for my brother's wedding in June and my friend's wedding in July (plus her hen weekend at Butlins in June). I really really really really don't want to be the obese one in the photos! Otherwise, I'm not fussed as long as it goes....

Fantastic post jaylou :) Although I have set a target date, I won't be that bothered if I don't get there in time, I know I won't be far off, and it's based on what I have left to lose, and my previous losses.

My desire to lose weight quick is because I want to get pregnant asap. I'm 26, have been trying for 10 years with PCOS and 3 miscarriages, and the doctor says it'll get harder for me to catch and stay pregnant as the years go by, and we've tried all the meds we can for now. Weight loss is my only option.

But I fully accept that it's going to be slow for me, and that I have to be 100% every day (as shown by this weeks 2lb gain!). Better that I'm slimmer but healthier when it happens, rather than starving my body, getting thinner, but then not having the nutrients needed for a healthy baby.

massive, massive (((hugs))) to you!! I was in the same boat. I still have PCOS, and have to think about my carbs as that affects my weightloss. I found it very hard to stay pregnant, I've lost 7 out of 9 babies and tried every drug under the sun... as soon as resided to the fact I was probably never going to have a baby, I got PG with my son and I just couldn't believe it when we got out of the danger zone!! I was even more surprised that when I fell PG with my daughter just 3 months after having my son!

Stay strong, I know how heartbreaking it can be!

Sorry for going O/T! xxx

i agree hun i have done sw loads of times before and i have always been pushing to get to goal as fast as i can but i never get there cause when the wait starts to slow i get fed up cause its quick enough.
this time i'm more relax i will get to goal but i;m in no hurry, if i had this attuide when i first started i would of been at target 10 years ago and alot quicker than now cause had less to lose then alot less

The way I see it if I'm losing weight that's good and it's all I can do. I don't wanna get any heavier because health wise it's dangerous. As much as I have insecurities about my weight if I dwell on it too hard and want to rush it that's when I binge or ruin my week with nasty foods.

Am taking this one week at a time and not letting the results change who I am or what I decide to do the next week.

Back