Why so much water??

Hi everyone just curious as to why you're advised to drink so much water on thus diet? And if you don't drink enough what happens? I ask as I only had 1 litre yesterday and wondered what this would mean...

Thanks xx

I think there's two reasons for it. Firstly, you're not getting much liquid from food, which you normally would be. Also, I think ketosis, uses more water to flush the ketones through.

According to wikipedia - (about vlcds in general)
'Adverse effects

Studies have shown that in about one in four individuals following a VLCD for a few months, gallstones develop. However, these gallstones may be small enough to not cause discomfort, and often disappear when a normal eating pattern is resumed.[4][5][6] Gallstone formation is facilitated by the more concentrated bilefluid and reduced flow as a result of a VLCD. Another potential side effect is constipation (depending on the fiber content of the diet).[citation needed] Most VLCDs recommend drinking 5 litres of water a day to nullify this effect.[7] '

Omg it says 5 litres! I wouldn't have thought that many litres would be possible to down in a day.
I'm only just getting three and thats a struggle.

Bobbi said:
Omg it says 5 litres! I wouldn't have thought that many litres would be possible to down in a day.
I'm only just getting three and thats a struggle.

I wouldn't worry 3 is plenty :)

I must say, I've no trouble getting the water down me! Have always been a thirsty person, and would easily drink 3-4 litres a day usually.

Maybe I'm an odd one out!!!

Back