Why the back fees if you miss meetings?

Caz

Repeat Offender
Does anyone know why SW charge back fees? As far as I know, there's no other group such as WW or Rosemary Coneley that does that so why does SW? I was considering SW but I can't guarantee that I can go every week, it would likely be every other week but this whole back fees and only being allowed 6 illness/holiday weeks a year is ridiculous and to be honest, is putting me off SW a lot. It's a slimming group, not a job or school!

The consultant depends on your weekly attendance so s/he needs to know roughly how many people to expect to be able to estimate his/her income. If you don't go to group, and aren't penalised for it by having to pay a fee, then where will that leave the consultant's finances if 10or 15 other people think the same?

On a personal level, I also think it's motivating to have to pay for a missed class. If I've had a bad week, the knowledge that I'll be equally as well off (financially) by facing the music and getting on the scales as I would by chickening out and staying at home is often my impetus for braving it!

If you are a shift worker then you can ask for a special dispensation if you're not always able to make classes, but you still have to let your consultant know a week in advance.

Reactions: Jaq
When you join SW its a comittment to join and I think by having to pay back fees for missed classes etc it ensures that you do attend every week and therefore your weight losses would be reflected in going regularly. By missing weeks and / or stopping and starting you would not reap the full benefits of following the plans. x

I actually like Slimming World because as a shift worker I dont need to pay when I advise cant go to class as working. With WW or Scottish Slimmers that wasn't an option and I needed to pay.

Oops, looks like I got it wrong a bit there! I didn't realise that WW charged back fees as well, my friend did it and told me that they didn't but to be honest, regardless of whether it's better at SW or WW, I still don't agree with having to pay back fees.

I understand that the consultant has to try and make money from the group but that doesn't mean that I should have to pay for a service that I haven't actually received that week. If I was taking up someone else's space so that they've missed out on a paying customer then yes I could understand it but otherwise, I don't agree with it. Instead of looking at it as they're losing £5 when I can't go, I think of it as they're gaining an extra £5 when I can. I don't really agree with the point that I won't reap the benefits if I don't go every week because there are plenty of people who do it alone at home but I do know what you mean, in terms of that motivation and support, no you definitely won't get that if you don't go every week and for some people that's vital and they won't do well without it but some people can do just as well without that. I'm not a shift worker but I do have a very busy and demanding schedule at the moment which means that I can't commit to attending a meeting every week and I would likely miss more than 6 weeks in a year because of that combined with holiday and sickness. I would most likely go every other week but because of the back fees, I probably won't be going at all so really it's done the consultant out of money because she won't get my fees and I won't buy the magazine from her, I'll get it from Sainsbury's instead.

Obviously I'm very much on my own with this thinking but it's still what I think.

I've been ill since Feb but still manage to go even just for weigh in some weeks. There are usually lots of classes in an area so if you can't go one night there is usually one on a different night. If weekly classes don't suit you could try online. It's a business so it need structure & a way of gaining commitment from members. You still have to pay your gym membership if you don't go. Even my daughter's dance class has to he paid in advance regardless of illness or other commitments.

You might not attend the class, but you still have access to the support of the consultant, the use of the website, etc during that week. So it isnt like you are recieving no service at all.

You might not attend the class, but you still have access to the support of the consultant, the use of the website, etc during that week. So it isnt like you are recieving no service at all.

I quite agree - I rarely miss a class ( I revolve my scedule around SW lol ) but I know for sure that any of my fellow members that go still get calls, text and support from our consultant. The website is fantastic too - am always shocked at how manyt people DON'T use it! x

I would compare a SW membership with a Gym Membership - you start the service when you join, and even if you dont go, you pay for the service.

Perhaps Online member ship would suit you better if you are very busy.

x

Rosemary Conley charge back fees too! I now do SW from home as I found Rosemary Conley diet too restrictive but love SW. However our consultant is rubbish and seen as money is tight at the minute due to becoming a student again I personally can't justify £5 a week to go to a class where I get no help, support or motivation. So I got the latest books for £5 and joined this site.

Not just that, but do you not think that if they didn't there wouldnt be a section of "members" who decided they only needed to go once a fortnight or even month? I think so. Then they'd declare SW/WW/whatever to be "rubbish" and veer off, likely.

Just my 2p.

Polished said:
Not just that, but do you not think that if they didn't there wouldnt be a section of "members" who decided they only needed to go once a fortnight or even month? I think so. Then they'd declare SW/WW/whatever to be "rubbish" and veer off, likely.

Just my 2p.

I agree with this. If our consultant was good I would be more than happy to incorporate going to weekly meetings into our budget but as she's not, I'm doing it from home. X

Rosemary Conley charge back fees too! I now do SW from home as I found Rosemary Conley diet too restrictive but love SW. However our consultant is rubbish and seen as money is tight at the minute due to becoming a student again I personally can't justify £5 a week to go to a class where I get no help, support or motivation. So I got the latest books for £5 and joined this site.

I am lucky as my consultant is great and I get every pennies worth at my class x

stivesliz said:
I am lucky as my consultant is great and I get every pennies worth at my class x

Aww you are lucky! I live in a fairly rural part of the uk and unfortunately she runs all the classes anywhere near here so I can't even go to a different class as there aren't any! I'm not doing too badly though, have lost half a stone in 4 weeks doing it alone. I haven't been 100% all the time either, going way over my syns and eating McDonald's lol x

my friend joined sw 2 weeks ago and the consultant said it was ok for her to go once a fortnight to get weighed as she works everyother week

Back