Why the back fees if you miss meetings?

I'm a shift worker so cannot get to the same meeting every week, one week I go on a Tuesday at 3.30 and today I'll be going at 9.15 ( sometimes its the 11.15 group as today us a day off). Every week I book the following week as shift for just in case.
before I knew I could do this I was paying for missed weeks.
There are lots of reasons why they charge back fees, but the fact is, that it's in the rules!
When you join up you're saying you're committed to losing weight using the plan SW have set up. So you enter into a partnership with SW.
If all you did was turn up occasionally then neither you or SW are honouring that partnership.

By the way the poster who said this was an argument, I'm sorry, but this is a discussion, not a row.

kingleds said:
The fact is, that in most areas they run a number of groups a week, in my area there are 2 on Tuesday, 4 on Thursday & 3 on Saturday. So it's not unrealistic of them to expect you'll attend the
Majority of the weeks, and they make it very clear before you sign up, so if you don't agree you can always vote with your feet & do as a number of people of here have already suggested.

We all have busy & demanding life's, to varying degrees, but if your weight loss is important, and you feel going to group is going to assist you in
Loosing weight, then most of us find a way to fit it in.

There is only 3 classes a week where I live. All of which are on a Tuesday. Not helpful to those who are shift workers, work in catering, care etc and cannot guarantee the same days off every week. The consultant is also rubbish so unless you drive and can afford the time and money to travel miles to a group further away then it's not remotely helpful.

There are lots of reasons why they charge back fees, but the fact is, that it's in the rules!
When you join up you're saying you're committed to losing weight using the plan SW have set up. So you enter into a partnership with SW.
If all you did was turn up occasionally then neither you or SW are honouring that partnership.

Exactly!!!

As Kingleds said, we all have busy lives, if we really want to we can find the time to do anything.

There is only 3 classes a week where I live. All of which are on a Tuesday. Not helpful to those who are shift workers, work in catering, care etc and cannot guarantee the same days off every week. The consultant is also rubbish so unless you drive and can afford the time and money to travel miles to a group further away then it's not remotely helpful.

But if you were a shift worker who can't guarrantee what dsays you aregoing to be free you would not have to pay backfees, as long as you tell the consultant prior to group that you can't make it.

You can put all the obstancles you want in your way if you want to. I could quite easily say that I can't get to any of the 7 groups because I work late at night/ get stuck in traffic all the time/am always busy at the weekends etc. Some weeks i work 70 hours, plus I then have to do all the housework/cleaning/cooking etc. I still find the time to go to group because I feel its a valuable way to spend my free time. amnd going protects my weight loss.

However, if you consultant really is rubbish, and you don't feel you get support from the group, don't waste your money. Do online or from home as has been said before, or find a plan with a group thats more convenient for you. The reality is that all slimming groups gcharge back fees and most only allow you a set number of holidays. SW are more generous than WW or RC in this respect so if you choose another plan, you'd be in the same situation.

kingleds said:
But if you were a shift worker who can't guarrantee what dsays you aregoing to be free you would not have to pay backfees, as long as you tell the consultant prior to group that you can't make it.

You can put all the obstancles you want in your way if you want to. I could quite easily say that I can't get to any of the 7 groups because I work late at night/ get stuck in traffic all the time/am always busy at the weekends etc. Some weeks i work 70 hours, plus I then have to do all the housework/cleaning/cooking etc. I still find the time to go to group because I feel its a valuable way to spend my free time. amnd going protects my weight loss.

However, if you consultant really is rubbish, and you don't feel you get support from the group, don't waste your money. Do online or from home as has been said before, or find a plan with a group thats more convenient for you. The reality is that all slimming groups gcharge back fees and most only allow you a set number of holidays. SW are more generous than WW or RC in this respect so if you choose another plan, you'd be in the same situation.

I dot go to classes because the consultant is rubbish, that's the only reason. I do it from home and use this site

kingleds said:
I think its sad that there are so many rubbish consultants out there :(

Yup. They should really focus the money the make on ensuring consultants are fully trained and can actually do the job! My Rosemary Conley consultant was absolutely fantastic, unfortunately I found the diet far too restrictive. Wish I could combine her with SW diet

Shirleen I was the one who made the comment about the argument...I didn't mean this was an argument I just meant that every suggestion people made was responded with a reason why not. It felt like no matter what anyone suggested it was never going to suit.

One thing I can take from this thread is how supportive sw member are of both the plan & each other. It really is the best plan I've tried :)

Shirleen I was the one who made the comment about the argument...I didn't mean this was an argument I just meant that every suggestion people made was responded with a reason why not. It felt like no matter what anyone suggested it was never going to suit.

Quite agree!

Regardless if you go to a meeting every week or not, you still get access to the online food diary, syns etc. online members pay the same as going to a meeting but don't get the benefit of group support etc. So I would say it is pretty obvious you still pay if you miss a week because even though you haven't been to the meeting you still have access to the online resources.

One thing I can take from this thread is how supportive sw member are of both the plan & each other. It really is the best plan I've tried :)

Sorry I wasn't being funny, it's just people have accused us of arguing before and I honestly didn't think anyone was arguing. Sorry if I came across badly, it wasn't intended.

what's your reason for not going though? I miss loads to be honest, once due to sickness and a couple more because of work. they've been really good to me and not charged me because i've given notice. the sick day may be a holiday i'm not sure but it's still good of them!
i'm also really lucky cos my consultant does 3 every thursday so i can try make a different time. there's also a fair few in the area to do another day in another group.

Shirleen said:
Sorry I wasn't being funny, it's just people have accused us of arguing before and I honestly didn't think anyone was arguing. Sorry if I came across badly, it wasn't intended.

No no it's ok, I was just clarifying what I meant. I know every region has their own meanings for things.

No offence taken xo

cupcake86 said:
No no it's ok, I was just clarifying what I meant. I know every region has their own meanings for things.

No offence taken xo

Why can't everyone sort out their misunderstandings like this instead of usual way things are dealt with on here! :rolleyes: ;)

vanilla_cupcake said:
Why can't everyone sort out their misunderstandings like this instead of usual way things are dealt with on here! :rolleyes: ;)

I think it helps to take a step back & try to re read things cause usually we just read the tone wrong. We're all here for help & support xo

kingleds said:

Exactly kingleds! It is called the "yes, but" game.

Every suggestion made is met with "yeah, but. ......" the reasons may be sound, BUT they are obsticals. :)

What do we really want from all this? How are we going to get it? Come on!!

Exactly!!!

As Kingleds said, we all have busy lives, if we really want to we can find the time to do anything.

You might be able to but there are weeks when I honestly can't. There are weeks where I'm in school from 8am until 6pm and then come home to do work until I go to bed between 10 and 12, with a break for dinner and a shower and then get up and do it again each day. The fact is that while I'm on placement, I can't always find the time to spend 2 hours at a meeting, plus the 20 miles of driving to get there and back. So whilst there are plenty of excuses, there are also valid reasons.

At the time of asking, I hadn't realised that you got access to the website though so that does make it a bit more understandable.

caroline g said:
You might be able to but there are weeks when I honestly can't. There are weeks where I'm in school from 8am until 6pm and then come home to do work until I go to bed between 10 and 12, with a break for dinner and a shower and then get up and do it again each day. The fact is that while I'm on placement, I can't always find the time to spend 2 hours at a meeting, plus the 20 miles of driving to get there and back. So whilst there are plenty of excuses, there are also valid reasons.

At the time of asking, I hadn't realised that you got access to the website though so that does make it a bit more understandable.

You just described every work day for me!

Next week I am working until 7am Monday , then 2.30 Tuesday, 7am-10pm sleep in 7am-4pm Wednesday and Thursday, and 7am-4pm Friday. So although I weighed in this morning I have to go to group on Tuesday at 3.30 becuase there are no other groups I can attend.
The following week I am working 7am-10pm sleep in Tuesday and 7am-4pm Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off then Saturday and Sunday, and that is my rolling rota every fortnight.
Going to two sometimes three different groups at different times is not ideal but it's what I committed to. It's about making the effort and commitment. However I'm fortunate that I have groups with the same Consultant that I can go to.

See I don't have that option, my consultant only offers one meeting and the only other meeting near me is at a really bad time that I just can't get to. So it's not a case of I have loads of work on this day to do so will free up other time, it's be there on that day and time or miss that week's meeting.

Back