WI every week?

nettie

Gold Member
last time i went to my doctors i spoke about weight loss and she said that i shouldnt be weighing myself every week and that she recommends only every couple of weeks as weight does fluctuate so much. As I WI in at home I was going to try and take this advice, although I do have a little obsession with the scales, is there anyone else who doesnt actually WI every week?

There's definitely an argument for weighing monthly as this takes into account hormonal fluctuations. I have stopped weighing in at all now that I no longer go to class. I would try it - if you can break your weighing obsession it will put you in a much better place psychologically.

thanks for the reply circes. I think I am going to try and WI every 2 weeks so I'm not going to weigh in today. it will be hard, im already itching to get on the scales!

Oooh I couldn't do that, I don't have scales at home but I do feel I need to get weighed each week to keep me on track, when I used to do SW a couple of years ago if I was working I didn't weigh elsewhere I just skipped a week and I didn't do very well!

Now since January, I have weighed in all but 2 times, once when we were away and once when due to my shifts there wasn't another class I could visit. I'm doing alot better this time.

Best of luck with it and I really hope it works for you x

I used to get weighed at the doctors every 4 weeks and found that always kept me on track. I think there is a really good case for not weighing yourself weekly. Like Circes says you're in a much better place if you aren't constantly jumping on and off them. I get mine out only on WI day now and pack them away so I'm not tempted during the week. Ideally I'd want to WI about every 10 days - I find that's a much fairer reflection and gives your body time to process a loss/gain.

Actually ideally I wouldn't want to do it all and be fine with my body shape...ho hum.:rolleyes:

erm.... i weighed in! i couldnt resist! wish i had though... blummin 1lb gain! ah well back to the beginning and new start today. think im going to start class on tuesday night instead of going it alone!

I think it's a mad idea to be honest. It might be alright for slim people who have never had a weight problem, but not for overweight or previously overweight people. You could do a lot of damage to your weight loss targets if you waited too long and then you'd put a lot on.

I've been at target for over a year and I weigh myself every day. The National Weight Loss Registry (ok, it's American) advises people who have got to target weigh themselves every day.

It helps me see how different foods and routines affect my weight.

This is just my opinion, it works for me, but each to their own as the saying goes :)

I think it's a mad idea to be honest. It might be alright for slim people who have never had a weight problem, but not for overweight or previously overweight people. You could do a lot of damage to your weight loss targets if you waited too long and then you'd put a lot on.

I've been at target for over a year and I weigh myself every day. The National Weight Loss Registry (ok, it's American) advises people who have got to target weigh themselves every day.

It helps me see how different foods and routines affect my weight.

This is just my opinion, it works for me, but each to their own as the saying goes :)

wow everyday! do you find you fluctuate alot throughout the week? x

I weigh myself most days, i think as long as you dont beat yourself up over gains and fluctuations then you can weigh yourself as much as you like. As long as over the week, fortnight, month or whatever weigh period you want to use - you are steadily losing weight - does it matter?

Good luck x

Circes said:
There's definitely an argument for weighing monthly as this takes into account hormonal fluctuations. I have stopped weighing in at all now that I no longer go to class. I would try it - if you can break your weighing obsession it will put you in a much better place psychologically.

Interesting that you say that as I'm thinking about ditching the battery in the scales and just getting weighed once a month...

I weigh myself every time I walk into the bathroom :scale:

There is NO WAY I could ditch my scales, my weigh in day is a Tuesday, come Friday when I weigh myself I know if I have to work extra hard or if i'm doing ok, my consultant kills us for weighing at home but i'm a bit addicted, I also wanna chuck them out the window cos they can weigh me up to 5lbs heavier than the SW scales! :eek:

wow everyday! do you find you fluctuate alot throughout the week? x

It does fluctuate, I write my weight down on my diary and compare week to week, so Monday with the previous Monday etc.
I take my Wednesday weight as gospel, because that's weigh in day.
I like weighing every day, it's no hardship, I don't find that it's psychiologically stiffling, just the opposite in fact. I find it makes me feel in control.

Back