Will 1 week be enough to return to come out of ketosis?

Chunkeymonkey

I was going to do 810 for one week to come out of ketosis. Will this be enough for my body to return to normal, e.g. Bad breath, bowel problems etc?

According to numerous websites I've browsed, our bodies go in and out of ketosis throughout the day (on a regular diet I suppose), but I'm pretty sure that eating one carbed up meal will take you out of ketosis more or less right away. I guess it comes down to your reason for wanting to get out of ketosis, as it were :)

According to numerous websites I've browsed, our bodies go in and out of ketosis throughout the day (on a regular diet I suppose), but I'm pretty sure that eating one carbed up meal will take you out of ketosis more or less right away. I guess it comes down to your reason for wanting to get out of ketosis, as it were :)

Ah. I want to come out of ketosis as I am coming of the diet in a few weeks.

If you are coming out of ketosis for a planned break, them yes all you would need to do is eat some carbs and you should be out of it within a day.
From my bad past experiences of this, i would suggest you take it carefully or you may suffer with bloating and/or stomach ache.
So, if for example you wanted to drink on a sat night, then i would have a carb free meal on fri lunchtime, a meal with a small amount of carbs on fri night, a sensible carby breakfast on sat, and then hopefully you should be able to eat and drink what you like on sat lunch and dinner.

If you are coming out of it because you are coming off the diet completely, you are best off working up the plans. Abruptly coming off for a planned break will make you gain weight but it should come off quickly when you go back on the diet. If you're not planning to go back on the diet then you run the risk of piling the weight back on if you don't reintroduce carbs slowly.

Coming out of ketosis too fast very often leads to diet disaster. The formerly suppressed appetite and carb cravings can come back with such force that you are starving all day long. You may think you are strong enough to resist but many also thought that - myself included - and found out that willpower and 'strength' have nothing to do with it.

Your body has been starved of carbs and calories. It will push and push you to eat. If you overdo the carbs too soon you will get rebound regain, as well. Mostly water at first but seeing that on the scales and feeling it on the body can be horribly demoralising.

Whatever you do, reintroduce carbs slowly and gradually. Go low GI at the very most, or perhaps try Atkins pre-maintenance (Phase 3) where the idea is to very slowly increase the amount of carbs over a period of weeks.

Good luck!

Back