Will i be Okay??

elivan

WON'T GIVE UP
Hello everyone i'm a male/medium frame & just turn 24 years of age. I was just wondering how bad is it if i only consume 1500-2000 cals per day? I know i should be eating more cals but it's very IMPOSSIBLE for my body to take that much in EVERYDAY. But i've been doing this 1500-2000 cals per day for 2 months now and have lost 15lbs :) I'm a moderate activity person walk/jog-sprint every 5-6 times a week. & everyday i drink around 20oz of water 6 times.
That's one of the reasons i can not eat that much cause almost every hour or 2 i'm drinking water.
Second i honestly don't know which healthy foods there are that are high in cal's if i did maybe i can eat more then 2000 cals per day
Thirdly even though i'm eating 1500-2000 cals per day they're healthy as well i'm getting almost all my PROTEIN/WHOLE GRAIN-FIBER/VITAMIN A-C and other vitamins and minerals.

Fourthly I'm in a verrrrrry low-budget and we all know healthy foods,veggies,fruits are expensive if you have to buy those stuff at least twice or more a week, reason i kinda like my 1500-2000 cal intake thing.
So just wondering is it REALLY that bad though if i stay the way i'm doing right now
Like is it tolerable-passable for one more year?? Will i DIE??? sorry if that was harsh just want serious facts.
maybe 2-3 times a week i can consume 2500 cals or more MAYBE :(

P.S hope you guys can bare with me on my grammer.

Hi Elivan.

I think 15lb in two months sounds like a reasonable weightloss, it works out to about 2lb per week.....I think sticking to 1500-200perday sounds perfect tbh. I would carry on with exactly what you are doing and make sure you eat a varied diet (which you say you are) and if you start to feel fatigued, make sure you have a fair few 2000 days to give yourself a boost.

You are dong brilliant keep it up xx

thank you redmel:)

before i started to this i was actually consuming 600-1000 a day which made me felt really bad as well tired. of course in one week i did lose 6lbs but i don't mind losing 1-2lb's per week. i feel the slower lost the better and healthier.

Oh definitely, and yes I am not surprised you felt ill eating that little...I would die trying to stick to that!

I am aiming for between 1100-1400 per day, and allowing myself a high day (day off) on a fri or sat. I would love to lose weight faster but I will have to be patient.

Saying that I am new to calorie counting and will need to adjust as I go xx

All the best with it x

yea i just now figured it out that being patient will make you lose weight, i use get upset when i saw the scale and nothing happen or gain.. but now i'm okay with as long as don't go past more then 3lbs and even if that still keep on going.

The cals you are on now sound about right, 600-1000 is just plain ridiculous!! I'm 5'6" and losing about a pound a week on 1200 cals a day. A giant like you, and a male one to boot, needs far more calories. Please be sensible otherwise you will make yourself ill.

Hi Elivan.. Looks to me like your doing great.. I'd say keep doing what your doing :)

Hello, and Thank you Littlesis:rolleyes:

The cals you are on now sound about right, 600-1000 is just plain ridiculous!! I'm 5'6" and losing about a pound a week on 1200 cals a day. A giant like you, and a male one to boot, needs far more calories. Please be sensible otherwise you will make yourself ill.

yeah i'm glad i'm not doing that no more.
i'm a giant? :cry: lol j/k but yes i know i got to be real sensible cause being healthy is always BETTER in the long run.

Well done you Elivan on your sensible outlook. Your calories sound just about right for weightloss for a guy, especially as you are being careful to make healthy choices, also drinking water regularily through the day is a very healthy thing to do. Take care.

thank you lass321:) i'm glad i drink water regularly before it was hard to drink enough now it's like nothing, very satisfied:D

To be honest, I'd completely disagree on the fruit and veg being expensive if you buy it regularly. It's not, you just need to know how to shop for it properly! I hear a lot of people say that they can't afford to eat healthily because it's too expensive but it's just not true at all. I buy all of my food for the week, including a lot of fruit and veg, spending no more than about £20 for the week.

Buy what's in season, if you try and buy strawberries and other berries out of season, you'll pay through the nose for them! You just need to go into the supermarket and see what's cheap.

Buy the fruits that are on offer. For example, Sainsburys have clementines 2 for £2 at the moment, that's 16 clementines, 2 clementines a day for a week with 2 pare for just £2. They also sell basics bananas 8 for £1.15, that's less than 15p a banana which is far less than the cost of a chocolate bar, packet of crisps etc. Lots of the supermarkets, ASDA and Morrisons for definite, focus on making fruit and veg affordable and so they do bags of different fruits and veg for just £1.

Also, use frozen veg too, nothing wrong with that, it's cheap and doesn't go off in a few days. You can buy great big bags of frozen peas, sweetcorn, carrots etc. for £1 and they'll last ages. You can get things like stir fry veg too, much cheaper than buying it fresh.

Plan out your meals for the week and then you'll know what you need. If you're going to buy a bag of carrots, plan carrots into your meals over the week so that you use them before they go bad. That way you end up only buying in what you need, you don't over buy (and so spend more than you need to) and you don't have to end up throwing things away because they've gone bad. And check what you've already got before you shop! This is something I've had to learn to do and it's saved me a fortune!

I would agree that smart buying of fruit and veg can make a huge difference to the cost. My local greengrocer is about half the price of the main supermarkets so I save loads that way.

Lidl stock good quality veg & I often buy from a local market stall which good & not expensive.

To be honest, I'd completely disagree on the fruit and veg being expensive if you buy it regularly. It's not, you just need to know how to shop for it properly! I hear a lot of people say that they can't afford to eat healthily because it's too expensive but it's just not true at all. I buy all of my food for the week, including a lot of fruit and veg, spending no more than about £20 for the week.

Buy what's in season, if you try and buy strawberries and other berries out of season, you'll pay through the nose for them! You just need to go into the supermarket and see what's cheap.

Buy the fruits that are on offer. For example, Sainsburys have clementines 2 for £2 at the moment, that's 16 clementines, 2 clementines a day for a week with 2 pare for just £2. They also sell basics bananas 8 for £1.15, that's less than 15p a banana which is far less than the cost of a chocolate bar, packet of crisps etc. Lots of the supermarkets, ASDA and Morrisons for definite, focus on making fruit and veg affordable and so they do bags of different fruits and veg for just £1.

Also, use frozen veg too, nothing wrong with that, it's cheap and doesn't go off in a few days. You can buy great big bags of frozen peas, sweetcorn, carrots etc. for £1 and they'll last ages. You can get things like stir fry veg too, much cheaper than buying it fresh.

Plan out your meals for the week and then you'll know what you need. If you're going to buy a bag of carrots, plan carrots into your meals over the week so that you use them before they go bad. That way you end up only buying in what you need, you don't over buy (and so spend more than you need to) and you don't have to end up throwing things away because they've gone bad. And check what you've already got before you shop! This is something I've had to learn to do and it's saved me a fortune!

but aren't frozen veggies packed with a lot of sodium and sugar?? i'm trying not to eat that much sodium if i do it better have a lot of cals

No, they're not packed with a lot of sodium and sugar. Not as far as I know. Most of the veg I use in terms of peas, sweetcorn, carrots etc. are all frozen and they've got no more salt or sugar than their fresh alternatives. They're literally picked and frozen, that's it.

Why would it be better to have a lot of sodium if it's a lot of cals? At the end of the day, vegetables, whether fresh are frozen, are still always going to be a more healthy alternative to most other things. You need to be making sure that you're getting enough fruit and veg because there are vitamins and minerals that you won't get from anything else.

Hey I think the confusion is with canned fruit and veg. They do tend to be stuffed with sodium and/or sugars. Caroline is right, frozen veg is generally just that. Not processed in any other way, just frozen, maintaining all that veggy goodness. It can be a healthier option than buying fresh and eating it after it's been hanging around in a cupboard for days losing goodness.

now i'm more convince i watched the DR OZ SHOW and he even said frozen veggies are better and it'll last longer so it won't go to waste. i bought some broccoli last week really easy by microwave, no need for steaming. also i heard steaming takes away all the minerals?

Having frozen veg as a back-up is always a good idea :)

My OH eats mountains of veg so it rarely gets a chance to go off!! If it was just me on my own I'd be throwing away more than I ate :eek:

Like is it tolerable-passable for one more year?? Will i DIE??? sorry if that was harsh just want serious facts.

No, steaming doesn't leach minerals from veg, boiling can but not if you use the water eg by making soups or stews, and frozen veg are very often better than fresh produce, since they're frozen on site and not carted about the country (or even planet) losing nutrients and so on.

I recommend you buy some good books on nutrition, ideally textbooks and not single-issue polemics about the virtues of any one way of eating, because it's the kind of hot-button topic where the internet, great as it is and everything, is full of special interest groups (at best) and total wackjobs websites (at worst), advocating everything from raw veganism to a 100% meat diet, to consuming large amounts of high-fructose corn syrup, and all with tons of superficially convincing "proof" that they alone have cracked it, and are onto the best way to live... :rolleyes:

If you go back to basics and learn from a reputable textbook, you can make your own decisions later on about which claims have merit. :cool:

RachBlue said:
No, steaming doesn't leach minerals from veg, boiling can but not if you use the water eg by making soups or stews, and frozen veg are very often better than fresh produce, since they're frozen on site and not carted about the country (or even planet) losing nutrients and so on.

I recommend you buy some good books on nutrition, ideally textbooks and not single-issue polemics about the virtues of any one way of eating, because it's the kind of hot-button topic where the internet, great as it is and everything, is full of special interest groups (at best) and total wackjobs websites (at worst), advocating everything from raw veganism to a 100% meat diet, to consuming large amounts of high-fructose corn syrup, and all with tons of superficially convincing "proof" that they alone have cracked it, and are onto the best way to live... :rolleyes:

If you go back to basics and learn from a reputable textbook, you can make your own decisions later on about which claims have merit. :cool:

Well said!

I love frozen peas, they're (clearly influenced by ads) full of locked in nutrients. Field fresh lol

Back