Willing to admit I don't 'know it all'

plain jane

I've decided this is the year that I am going to lose weight. I did weight watchers before, albeit a long time ago, but got bored of having to weigh everything I ate. After a while, I decided that I didn't need that any more and I could do it on my own. I regained that loss and got back to square one.

I exhausted my body at the gym instead which lost me dress sizes, but not a significant amount of weight. I do have joint problems now that prevent me from going back ( or rather I need help to devise a program with the rest of my body that works well). Once I hit the joint problems, I couldn't train and guess what? Back to square one

Now here's a revolution; diet and exercise. I got an offer for free membership of Slimming World out of the paper and decided to go along and take a look, thinking, there isn't anything new that I can learn about eating well. Only on this programme, you can eat real food and there are so many things I can still have, so this is going to be easy.

Or so I thought. My loss has been at a rate of 1/2 pound per week and I have consoled myself that when I have lost the weight, my skin will fit me well as it has been gradual. This week I gained 1.5 pound and finally realise that I have to be serious if I want success - having 1/2 packet of chocolate digestives and not writing in the diary is still food eaten and even if not written down, it counts.

So having reflected, I realise that I need to use the food diary a) as it will help me to look honestly at what I am eating and b) my group leader can help me to identify where to make changes.

I was looking for more recipes and found the forum I have been introduced to even more recipes, which mean I am not likely to stray and make unhealthy choices. Reading the threads shows me that there is massive support out there as well.

I'm a good swimmer and will be taking part in my 3rd Swimathon this year, for the swim of my life - 2.5km or 100 lengths of the local pool. With the Swimathon coming up, I have to make a swimming timetable of at least 2, but better with 3 times per week.

All sounds like a plan, but what do I do when my emotional response to food takes over? With all the best prep and even more wonderful recipes at hand, I have a 24 hour shop at the end of my road and will go for a late night snack.

Back