Winter warmers

LVLLM

Gold Member
Hello - tell me to butt out, but i notice a lot of people are stuggling with this diet now the weather is colder.
We dont want any of us to undo the hard work done this year so thought id start this thread with suggestions for food to keep us warm/satisfied during these cold spells.

1 - soups:- easy peasy to make (i did my first lot on saturday) cauli and broccoli, mushroom, watercress and spinash, tomato...use from frais or philly to make creamy?

2 - slow cooker stuff. chillis, currys, stews - leave out veg for PP days. freezeable aswell so great for bulk cooking

3 - use your oatbran as porridge keep you nice and full and warm in the morning.

only a couple of ideas (and now i see how hard it is for you on PP days!) but please add some :D

Spices are good too!

Tomato soup is excellent for PV days - passata, onion, carrot, stock - cook all, add a little sweetner to counteract the acidity of the tomatoes and blend, add some fromage frais in before serving. We'll be having some tomorrow.

Slow-cooked beef and onion is lovely too, even better if it's a PV day and you can pop some veg in there too!

Thanks so much for starting this.

I am struggling to make something warming on pp days.
Other than no veg chilli.
Especially on nights where I dont get in til 8.

Has anyone got the recipe book and would like to look through at nice warming , quick recipes and put them on here?
Jaq yes when you get in then you want something that you can heat up quick or thats bubbling away in the slow cooker.

For pudding cravings, hot custard is fab when it's cold - Dukan-friendly version of course. I (spice-fiend) like it with nutmeg too which is nice and festive and really warming.

Rhubarb - keeps up the vitamin C which helps ward off nasties while waiting for conso and other fruit. Goes very well with custard.

Haven't tried it since on diet as far as I can remember, but pumpkin as a sweet rather than savoury concoction. With lots of (you guessed it) spices!

Fruit teas (as cold water when it's cold out is not appealing - for me anyway). Can be sweetened or not. Nice cold if you fancy a cold drink (that's not water).

Great idea Vicky...

I made a big vat of ratatouille this weekend because I love it hot or cold...

I used fresh 4 x large tomatoes, few fresh mushrooms, 2 medium courguettes, 1 aubergine, lots of garlic, an onion, fat free stock cube, herbs, cumin, chilli powder... I portioned up some packages so can grab one and let it defrost to accompany meat on PV days.

Vicky's Cheeseburger pie is good too... using lean mincemeat, onion, tin tomatoes, garlic, herbs, make a typical spag bol sauce. Put in tin and flatten well. Break a couple of eggs in a bowl, add fat free natural yoghurt/fromage frais and whisk... (now I realise I'm in a quandary... have you found an acceptable cheese for 30g per day "tolerated". If so, plonk double into your eggy mix, pour on top of spag bol, and put in oven... Lovely!

hey vicks its a great idea too ..... im going to make tomato soup and im going to enjoy it !!!!!!!

good for you Jet - make plenty and freeze in those ziplock bags :)

I very much doubt it Vicky... check the ingredients, but they'll have put sugar and starch in it, I'm sure... lazy yes! haaa!

Carrot, Fennel and Thyme Soup
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins

350g (12oz) onions, diced
350g (12oz) leeks, diced
2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
½ teaspoon thyme
4 medium carrots, diced
1 fennel bulb, diced (plus fennel tops to garnish)
1 litre (1 ¾ pints) low-salt chicken stock
Salt and black pepper

Over a medium heat, in a high-sided frying pan (oiled and wiped with kitchen paper), gently fry the onion, leek, garlic, fennel seeds and thyme until the mixture smells aromatic. Add the carrot and fennel and cook for a few more minutes.

Add the stock and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the carrot and fennel are soft. If the stock reduces too much, add some water.

When ready to serve, place a little chopped fennel top in each bowl of soup.

Cream of Courgette Soup

Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins

3-4 courgettes (unpeeled, grated)
25g (1oz) virtually fat-free quark
350ml (12fl oz) low-salt chicken stock
Salt and black pepper

Dissolve stock cube in water, and add the courgettes. Cover and cook over a medium heat for 30 mins, stirring regularly. Remove from heat, add the quark, adjust the seasoning, and stir well before blending the mixture.

Chicory and Smoked Chicken Soup

Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins

800g chicory, chopped
1 onion, chopped
100g (3½ oz smoked chicken slices, cut into small pieces)

Cook the chicory in the stock for 10 mins over a medium heat. Using a different pan, gently fry the onion and small smoked chicken pieces. As soon as the chicory is cooked, add the onion and chicken to the stock and cook for a few minutes more over a medium heat before serving.

Chicken and Mushroom Soup
(4 servings)
Cooking time: 15 mins

1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon coriander leaves
1 teaspoon pepper
100g (3½ oz) button mushrooms, thinly sliced
3 drops of oil
2 tablespoons nuoc mam (Vietnamese fish sauce)* <very salty>
250g (9oz) cooked chicken breast, cut into thin slices
2 shallots, finely chopped

Crush the garlic, coriander and pepper into a purée in a pestle and mortar. Place the mushrooms in a non-stick frying pan (oiled and wiped with kitchen paper) and fry the mixture for 1 minute over a medium heat.

Remove from the heat and keep to one side. Bring the stock to the boil in a saucepan, add mushrooms, nuoc mam sauce and garlic purée. Cover and gently simmer for 5 mins. Add the chicken to the mixture, cook for a few minutes, then garnish with the shallot.

Red Curried Aubergine Soup
2 servings
Cooking time: 45 mins

250g (9oz) chopped tomatoes
750 ml (1¼ pints) low-salt vegetable stock
1 aubergine
3 drops of oil
1 red onion, chopped
1 chilli, very finely chopped
1 tablespoon curry powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ clove, ground
Salt and black pepper
Chop off the ends of the aubergine and cut it into 2.5cm (1 inch) thick slices. In a large saucepan (oiled and wiped with kitchen paper), gently brown the onion over a medium heat for 3 minutes, then add the chilli, curry powder, cinnamon and clove. Add some salt and gently fry for another 2 mins, then add the aubergine, tomatoes and stock. Simmer for 40 mins with the saucepan half covered, put to one side and leave to cool.
Whiz the soup in a blender and heat through again gently.
Adjust the seasoning to taste

MMM guess which one looks like my fav ? thanks Jo x

gonna try that tomorrow Jaqys :) got eggs to use up and minced beef...was gonna make chili but need to try at least to stick to pp for a time...

Back