Woman dies while consuming too much water on the Lighterlife programme.

Hi guys,

I heard this on the news last night and it saddened me deeply that yet another person has died because they are desperate to be thin and not following the diet to the guidelines! This was unfortunate for this woman and these days vlcd's seem to be more in the papers, tv for bad reasons instead of also the good. In this case a life has gone which is indeed very sad and heartbreaking as she has left 5 young children as well.

ITN - Dieter dies from drinking water

I must stress that water should be only consumed slowly throughout the day and not to take anymore than 4 litres as its really not healthy for ya. I can barely manage three!! As we can all understand that drinking water is one of the main reasons we are losing weight theres no harm in being that extra carefull! Take care

I read it on Yahoo too.

Very sad, even athletes have to be careful (marathon runners/triathletes, etc) when they have to keep hydrated for events/competitions/meets that they do not overdo the water ( causing hyponatremia), it is a dangerous state for your cells to be in...that is why athletes use electrolytes to replace the salts and have the water be absorbed at the rate it should be...it is rare for this to happen, however, do not be alarmed, it is not easily done...

Just as well beer isnt as deadly, hundreds of times I (and most of my mates) have downed much more than 5 pints in 2 hours! Scary!

Just as well beer isnt as deadly, hundreds of times I (and most of my mates) have downed much more than 5 pints in 2 hours! Scary!

Gosh ya have a point though, nice nic by the way but ya are making me feel hungry!!

Very sad, even athletes have to be careful (marathon runners/triathletes, etc) when they have to keep hydrated for events/competitions/meets that they do not overdo the water ( causing hyponatremia), it is a dangerous state for your cells to be in...that is why athletes use electrolytes to replace the salts and have the water be absorbed at the rate it should be...it is rare for this to happen, however, do not be alarmed, it is not easily done...

Thanks for your exercise tips last week hun, they are working a treat!!

i read that and it freaked me out coz god knows how many times i have thought damn it i have hardly drank any water then i try and drink all the water in the world in one go!... told my sister coz she does that on a normal day and she kinda freaked out. Poor woman tho, your all right, it is so sad that someone had to die for that.
Water intake is very very important but i guess if its done all in one go then your just flooding your system. Note to self... must drink water like a normal person!...

scary thought but as Milktray man said as well its really strange that the amount of alcohol doesnt kill ya either, strange!

scary thought but as Milktray man said as well its really strange that the amount of alcohol doesnt kill ya either, strange!

Have to say that it could do if you don't usually drink much alcohol and then go off on a binge when your tolerance level is usually low.
It's not as difficult as some people think to overdose on alcohol, poison your system and end up in A&E or worse!:eek:

Have to say that it could do if you don't usually drink much alcohol and then go off on a binge when your tolerance level is usually low.
It's not as difficult as some people think to overdose on alcohol, poison your system and end up in A&E or worse!:eek:

Yep, that is what I was going to add...also the amount I see peeps drink I would be floored or in a coma...scary stuff!

Alcohol also contains sugars (carbs) so it isn't quite so dangerous to cells...but it is poisonous to the old liver and kidneys trying to keep up detoxing the system of the nastiness of the excess though...

i drink 8 litrs on average every day and have no problems.
i spread it out from when i wakeup until i sleep. i drink because im thrsty.

Ive been drinking 4 litres sparkling water plus for the last 2 years.
I only upped for camberidge.

i drink 8 litrs on average every day and have no problems.
i spread it out from when i wakeup until i sleep. i drink because im thrsty.

Ive been drinking 4 litres sparkling water plus for the last 2 years.
I only upped for camberidge.

8 litres....blooming heck.. I cant get 3 litres down my neck

I read it as well and to be honest i was amazed she could drink that down in such a short space of time without vomiting up at least some of it. She must have read that people can die of water intoxication but there is a general buzz (at least before) that the 'more you drink, the more you shrink) i have read on here (albeit awhile ago) of someone saying they drink 10 litres a day. Thats clearly a lie and dangerous information.

I do wish people would slow down, follow the rules (because the rules apply to everyone, not a select few)

Ivy

When I did the diet I drank seven litres of water a day which was actually under the advice of my GP BUT the key was little and often.

He said to me that you could actually drink 10 to 15 litres of water a day as your body could cope with it BUT it was the quickness that would be the problem so used to recommend spreading it out. From reading this article it would seem the lady drunk a lot less than 10 litres but had it very quickly and her body couldn't cope with it.

I used to therefore drink in four quadrants (8am - 11am)(11am - 2pm)(2pm - 5pm) and then (5pm-8pm) and it worked for me.

I think though when I did the diet there was the ethos of the more you drink the quicker you shrink and I used to be part of that group that could see losses were linked.

BUT health is more important that quick weight loss and therefore I always recommend people do exactly what the guidance states and therefore if I did my diet again I would not have that sort of water intake as the guidance now seems to be more around two to four litres and spread out during the day.

As though with all health concerns your GP is the best source of advice and hence you should consult him/her and ask what is the best water intake for your body and over what period should you drink it in.

I am not a water drinker whatsoever and I really can't get anymore than 3 litres down me. I am impressed that yas all could drink that much but to be honest with my job I would be sacked if i had to go to the loo more often than I am!! They are already asking questions...lol.

By the way icemoose many thanks for your motivational newsletters they are fab and keeping me going.

hmmm i just about manage to drink 2 litres on most days :s tbh i usually drink about 1. i know i should drink more water but it honestly makes me sick... i dont know how far it is linked with the whole drink and shrink idea but i have managed to lose about 4lbs a week drinking the amount of water that i do..

lol @ miss unknown... when i was at work people used to ask me why i went to the loo alot... haha.. i told them i had a hole in my bladder

Back