Work Advice

kingleds

Gold Member
I started working for my company 6 months ago, and aside from the fact the owner is a little bit mental, its a good company, and a nice job. I have flexibility, and am treated like an adult.
They 've just announced that we are getting a new Sales Director who will be my boss. She works at my previous company currently.
The problem is that 1) I left that company because of the way they treat people, and the way they manage people (in that they don'y treat you like an adult, and you have no flexibility). 2) She is best friends with my old boss, who is the primary reason I left.

The company she works for now are a big US owned multi national , and we are a small company, so very different attitudes prevail here. I know myself how difficult it was to adapt- but I had to becuase I wasn't in a position to change anything. She will be - and this is what really worries me.

Added to this is the fact that I was off sick for 6 weeks with stress when I worked there, and this combined with my bosses attitude was the reason I decided to leave. I know, she knows I was off sick, but I did not tell my current employer abouT this when I started here. Of course if she was to say anything then I could sue my old company, but that isn't really going to help matters.

Its so frustrating!! I've finally found a sales job which is fairly interesting, and doesn't require 70 hours a week plus selling my soul and its about to be ruined for me :cry:

That's awful Kingleds

I hope it does not turn out as bad as you are expecting, keep your head held high when she arrives as she will be the new person.

Why is she leaving the other company? Maybe she didn't like it there either. Maybe she would like a different way of working. Maybe she has fallen out with your old boss.

Maybe, maybe . . . the thing is, you don't know. And you are getting yourself into a state and saying that everything is going to be ruined, when in fact it might be fine.

Put yourself in her shoes, just for a moment. She is coming to a new job, she may well be unsure and nervous (as anyone would be), it is a totally different work environment from what she was used to - and what is she going to find? An old work colleague who is a friendly face, supportive and helpful? Or someone who has prejudged the situation and is sitting there glaring at her and saying that everything has been ruined by her arrival?

Your choice.

You are completely right - I have spent the last few days going back wards and forwards on this. Its entirely possible she's leaving because she doesn't want to manage people in the way the company wants her to anymore, much as I didn't want to be managed in that way anymore. I have managed to have a fairly successful career in a lions pit of an industry so of course I will not for one second be the one glaring at her when she arrives, irrespective of how she behaves when she does. I will be friendly and supportive and will not be the one causing her trouble.

The problem is - I know this woman and unless she has had a personality transplant in the last 18 months me & my colleagues are in for a rocky ride!!

Hun i feel for you i really do, i was in a situation like this and its so upsetting, i made myself sick with worry for weeks, and when i started to work with my new boss, it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be, she was a bull dog but she didnt want any trouble either.

I hope it works out for you i really do hun, sending loads of good luck your way. :grouphugg:

You are completely right - I have spent the last few days going back wards and forwards on this. Its entirely possible she's leaving because she doesn't want to manage people in the way the company wants her to anymore, much as I didn't want to be managed in that way anymore. I have managed to have a fairly successful career in a lions pit of an industry so of course I will not for one second be the one glaring at her when she arrives, irrespective of how she behaves when she does. I will be friendly and supportive and will not be the one causing her trouble.

The problem is - I know this woman and unless she has had a personality transplant in the last 18 months me & my colleagues are in for a rocky ride!!

Looking back at my previous posting, I think maybe I was a bit hard on you - sorry! I hope it works out for you and that things are not going to be as bad as you fear.

Looking back at my previous posting, I think maybe I was a bit hard on you - sorry! I hope it works out for you and that things are not going to be as bad as you fear.

Don't worry- you made sense and in fairness, you don't know if I am the type to scowl and moan at work or not!! I'm sure it won't be as bad I as I think and to be honest I can cope with working for someone who is a bit of a dragon, as long as she doesn't mess with my flexible working arrangement ( I got them to agree to let me work from home 2 days a week to cut down on tavel costs and commuting time (4 hours a day and £400 a month otherwise!) 3 days a week is bad enough!!

I hope it works out Kingleds, try not to worry in the meantime, and remember that you are on the front foot here as you already work in the incoming company. Hopefully your new boss is leaving your old company for similar reasons to yours and hopefully she was a b**h there because the values of the organisation made her behave in that way.
As for the sick, forget it, its in the past, it didn't come up at reference stage and its no longer relevant so can't be referred to in any way, even if someone were so unprofessional as to try.
Are your flexi hours in your contract? Or have you been doing them long enough for them to be considered 'normal' and therefore contractual - might be worth a quick call to someone like ACAS to check so you know your rights just in case.

I hope it all works out well xxx

I've not got flexi hours per se, but an agreement to work from home 2 days a week which i have religiously stuck to since i started 7 months ago. I also see customers outside of london once a week, and those in london 2 days a week so i am rarely in the office for a full day. There are a few of us with the same arrangement so i'm not on my own on that score.
I'm sure i'm just worrying about nothing and it will all be fine. In fact its possible that it could be a good opp as a no of my colleagues are put out to the point they are looking to leave as shes much younger than them and their egos are bruised. Could be about pick up some nice accountsif they aren't all talk!!!!!
Thanks to all for replying and making me see a bit of sense!!

Back