Work Christmas Party!

Romilly

Hi everyone!

I hope you're all well:)

Was hoping for a wee bit of advice please...

I have my work Christmas party tomorrow. When it was booked a couple of months ago I wasn't on CD and so made my menu choices as I always would have (fattening, essentially;-P). It costs my firm something like £45 a head and so I am going. My plan is to 'pick' at the duck liver pate starter (cunningly leaving most of it), eat turkey and veg from the main, leaving the carbs well alone, and give my boss my choux buns and ice cream dessert (as I know he could eat 20 in one sitting quite easily)!

I just wanted to ask about alcohol. We don't sit down to eat until 7.30 but we are all meeting in a nearby pub at 6 so I'm not sure what to do - should I eat something to line my stomach and have an alcoholic drink? Or stick to black coffee / water?

All the best

Rom xx

I'd avoid alcohol, hav fun at ur meal x

Unless you are properly coming off-plan, i would not have any alcohol, water if you can and soft drinks at worst.

Drink sparkling water tinkling with ice...:party0016: Good idea to pace your meal and skip dessert.
To be honest it really should be how we eat most of the time. Food purely for fuel!
Aaaah...one of these days.
Have fun!

I'd say have soft drink then the meal and then drink after the meal if u wanted too. I have same scenario tonight although the meal is paid for by us so I'm gonna make an excuse not to eat n jus have a sandwich to be out of ketosis n then hav a couple vodka n diet cokes!

Anyway enjoy the night we need some fun :)

have a shake before you go to 'fill you up' then you won't be tempted to eat so much. soft drinks - diet ones might contain citric acid. this won't hurt your diet but could make you feel hungry as it affects 'ketosis hunger block abilities'.

go and have a fab time. i'm out tonight and tomorrow. last year i ate during the day (sarnie and muffin) as i knew i was going to drink. i got really ill from the booze and ended up loosing 4lb on my weigh day on the monday :( not great!

Thanks all. Lara, that's a really good idea! I woke up feeling a bit 'coldy' this morning (which basically means I had a blocked nose, that's all) and was thinking of hamming up my 'coldy voice' at work so that I didn't have to go tonight but don't see why I should miss out on the party because of a bit of tempting food!! As I was saying to a friend on here yesterday, I am really looking forward to the social part of the evening far more than eating food - something that hasn't happened before :)

Now you have said about being ill great things, I don't think I'll be drinking!

Rxxx

Let us kno how it goes x

Dangers of Alcohol !

Hi I found this on the forum regarding alcohol so would strongly advise against it. Hope you have a fantastic night :) let us know how it goes :)

"DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE KETOTIC!
Alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of gluconeogenesis. In fact, it forces part of the gluconeogenic metabolic process into reverse. This means that if all the glucose in the blood is being derived from gluconeogenesis then the consumption of alcohol will inevitably cause the blood glucose level to fall. Worse still, the alcohol also stops ketone body production, thus leaving the brain entirely without fuel.
A person who is ketotic is 100% reliant on gluconeogenesis to maintain adequate levels of glucose in the blood. If, under these circumstances alcohol is taken, the person will become disorientated and might lose consciousness, not just from the alcohol, but from low blood sugar. Needless to say, this could be very dangerous, and even fatal.
Alcohol does not have these effects if the glycogen stores in the liver are normal. Under these circumstances the blood glucose level in the blood is maintained by the breakdown of liver glycogen, a process that is not influenced by alcohol. If a person becomes confused under these circumstances it is due simply to the pharmacological effects of the alcohol!"

hey - i have been researching alcohol and ketosis all morning and found loads of info online which contradicts that link above (which i also saw on CD site)

the jist of the message im getting is summarised here:

Manic Mandies LighterLife - FAQ

I am not encouraging drinking in ketosis - but i do think the panicking message the CD site has is wrong. It doesnt make sense to me at all scientifically as alcohol is a source of energy for the body and CAN be converted to Ketones! But as we eat such low calories and carbs it will be absorbed quickly and is likely to make us feel sick / intoxicated quickly so its probably not the best thing to do anyway! i had 2 drinks in week 2 and i felt drunk quickly and then very thirsty and sick and i didnt enjoy it the way i would if not in ketosis - just my experiences and research :) x

Hello just thought i'd add a little i had my Christmas party last night and i decided after all my hard work i deserved a night off so i took myself off my diet a couple of days ago, by having a few normal things to eat plus some shakes, last night i had a couple of glasses of wine but that is all i managed as it kept repeating on me in a bad way....for the meal i tried to be careful wioth my choices, i had tomato soup to start which was really oily so i left most of it, chicken and veg for my main and christmas pudding for dessert which i ate two spoonfuls of and left the rest as it was too sweet !!! All in all i don't think i've done any major damage thank goodness, if you want to have a drink go for it but everything in moderation. I found i had a perfectly fun night boogying away without getting stupidly drunk like everyone else :) xxxx

Emsiem u sound like you've cracked it and took a great approach to eating and drinking - it shouldn't be the centre of the night whether we are on plan or off plan x

Are you sitting conformably? Then I'll begin...

Ok so it started in the pub O'Neills where I I had a glass of sparkling water. Oh I should also say I had a low fat tuna sandwich from M&S at about 3.30pm to line the stomach which was rather pointless since I stuck to fizzy water! Hindsight, eh? Then when we got to the restaurant I had another one.

Our starters arrived. Mine was duck liver parfait with apple brandy chutney and two warm little slices of bread. I gave one of the slices to a colleague friend as he had a huge mound of Stilton and nothing to go with it, odd... Anyway, this starter was the richest food I have ever tried. Whether I can attribute that to the diet (i.e. it simply tasted rich because I haven't eaten for so long), I'm not sure. So I ate the piece of bread and was grateful for my hungry neighbour who made it look as though I'd eaten more!

It was after the starter that I had.... Drumroll please.... Drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... A white wine spritzer! It was ok, but didn't set my world alight. In fact, after a few sips, I felt mildly nauseous!

So then, it took about 8 years for the main courses to arrive (we arrived at 7.50pm but the mains weren't brought out until after 10)!! I had ordered the traditional turkey dinner and traditional though it looked, yukky did it taste! I stocked up on veggies only to find they were all underdone:( apart from the honey glazed carrots, which were more like carrot glazed honey! And don't even get me started on the dry turkey, greasy tats and DRIED APRICOT stuffing..!!

It was at this point that my naughty boss ordered me a mojito - my own fault since I have sporadically waxed lyrical about them every time going out is mentioned in the office... But you see, fellow CDers, I am nothing if not a wee bit cunning, so I passed it round to everyone who was curious, letting them try a bit! (as they cost about £8 I couldn't just leave it sitting there - twas a good thing everyone was saying ooh what's that)?!

It was at this stage was quite drunk so it was easy to feed them my cocktail, mwuhaha;) hey, I'm no saint though, of course I tried it, they are my faves after all!

Finally came the dessert (at 10.45pm...) and about six people were leaving; there are about 15 people in all at my firm so this sadly left quite a noticeable hole in the proceedings. And making it all the more poignant, the waiters were coming out with all the desserts so it ended up with waiters and my colleagues almost tripping over each other; it was so cramped! Anyway, I digress. So my pud was two huge pastry buns with ice cream between and drizzled with Belgian choc sauce. If any of you are salivating, you can stop now, it was horrid. Ice cream in it? It's just not natural! My taste buds asked me "what is going on? Where is the cream, our great leader? We taste choux pastry, but no cream!" they cried. So I decided not to subject my mouth to any further confusion;)

Since several people had left, the table was full of unearth desserts; I hope my bosses get some of their money back given the long delays in serving! To be fair though, they all had a good go at polishing off the leftover puds! My Office Manager thought she'd died and gone to heaven!

So it was about 11.15 when I made my goodbyes and left for the train station. Halfway there (10-minute walk) I was so full up that my coat felt tighter around my chest and I had a bit of a stitch in my middle!

I'm sure you all weren't expecting such a full summary... Congrats if you got to the end of the post! Only a bit more to go ... :)

To sum up, I had about two gulps of spritzer, one gulp of a mojito, a small slice of bread with a little parfait and chutney, two lettuce leaves, a slice of turkey, one roast potato, half a pig in blanket, a nibble on some stuffing, about 3 sprouts, 2 carrots, one bite of (virtually raw) parsnip and a bite of pastry with ice cream. That's it! And I felt as though I'd eaten an eight-course banquet!!!

Some might say the 'do' was disastrous, I say the opposite, and here's why: -

1. It was an awful meal. The boyf said to when I got home how it was a shame to break CD for something that wasn't very good but I said I'm glad it was horrid because it won't make me crave food - if it had been amazing I would have found it hard to get back on SS today.

2. I felt sick and had a stitch. Funny how none of these things sound positive, but they actually are! When I felt full and ill, I concentrated on remembering that feeling if I am ever tempted to cheat on my darling CD, and it'll get me through:)

3. Lastly, being sober at your Christmas party is something that not only has never happened to me before, but it's really fun to observe your drunk workmates, hehe!

Apologies if it's been a struggle to get through this post (much like me with the meal last night)!

Hope you're all great and have a wonderful weekend.

Rom xxx

Sorry, above should read that everyone was quite drunk so it was easy to feed them cocktail, it doesn't mean me being drunk!!

Hey that's alright - coulda gone really badly so it's great that you just had a nibble here n there! I went to my work thing yesterday and managed to stay on plan n jus had two drinks spread over 6hours so was fine! Back on plan now then? X

Love the full summary

Well done for tasting thing and deciding what to hav & mor importantly not hav, would hav been easy to scoff the lot coz it was there.

So well done

Xx

Hey thanks for ur replies; support on here really means a lot and keeps us all going!:)

I'm back on SS 100% now and it's going really well, I'm appreciating the diet even more than I was before which is brilliant!

Rxxx

Well I say you did extreamly well with all that temptation you had Well Done. :D At least it will stop you craving food for a while too :)

Back