Working Out On Sole Source Causes Muscle Damage

DollyBeth

Hi!

Someone told me that you shouldn't workout whilst on sole source at all. My consultant recommended walking every day, and when I mentioned I go on very long walks a few times a week, plus a shorter walk every day and a pilates DVD 3 times a week, she said this was all good, and I should try and walk more. Someone has since told me that exercising on sole source causes muscle damage and makes you lose less weight. A friend of mine is doing sole source and has been going to the gym for half an hour 5 times a week and has lost 4-7lbs a week consistently. I would be really grateful if you can tell me what you have been told about exercise from your consultant, and what exercise you think is enough on sole source. I don't want to cause any muscle damage, but I do see a better loss on weeks when I workout more.

Thank you so much if you take the time to reply.

Last edited:
I hope this is not true, I've been doing a little bit of swimming but now the 6 was are over, I'm aiming to go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week! Although I went yesterday for 40 mins and today have felt awful very lethargic & dizzy I'm hoping it's nothing to do with the gym & just an off day :)

Mummy im worried ur doing too such. Ur not eating calories for all that!!

Only just joined the forum, though thought I'd wade in on this one as I have some perspective.

Just for info, I'm 6' 9" and started the diet in at the start of feb when I was 26stone. I weighed in at 18st 5lb today, and have spent most of the time on sole source (dotting too and fro for holidays etc.)

I've exercised throughout the dieting, and for the first month all I did was walk a very energetic springer spaniel a mile or two a day, but as the diet started to work and I lost more weight, I went to the gym more.

I do 3-4 sessions per week, roughly an hour or so, and roughly speaking I:
- run 3 miles on the running machine
- row 1,000-1,500m on the rower
- do either 5mins on cycle or stepper
- spend the rest of the time doing weights

There has only been one or two occasions where I've felt dizzy.

Contrast that with a friend who's also done SS, and she couldn't do any more than walk the dog or a light swim without feeling dizzy/nauseous.

My advice would be to do a little light exercise and gradually build up to see what your body will accept - my consultant advised that I didn't do any heavy exercise, though once I did (and told her) she's been fine with me doing it so long as I'm aware of my own limits - if I ever feel tired/dizzy/headachy/etc. I stop immediately, have a sit down and a drink of water, and either stop training there, or take the rest of the session very lightly, though as I say, for me, that's only really been necessary once or twice over the past few months.

I caveat the following paragraph with the typical 'I'm not a medical professional' but - I can't believe that the exercise would do any 'damage' to your muscles - perhaps it has been commented on because exercise (especially strenuous) in general *does* damage your muscles - it's a natural part of any heavy exercise, and I suspect without the fuel that your body would normally have from a balanced diet your muscles may well not repair/recover as quickly, but I've not really had any concern that I'd 'damage' my muscles.

Hope that helps - obviously be careful and be aware of what your own body is telling you.

I have been on SS for months and do hot yoga three or four times a week, with usually one or two gym workouts as well. If I ever get there and don't feel up to it I stop, but in general I find I have no problems.

Thanks everyone for these helpful replies. MummyOxley - as Terry says, stop if you are feeling unwell! I think its common sense to take it slowly and build up, I've just had that concern that I was doing long term damage to my muscles. It can be quite annoying that different consultants give different advice/warnings, I thought they were all supposed to have the same training. To me it makes good sense to increase your weight loss whilst dieting by exercising, as well as increasing your fitness and toning up. It can only benefit you in the long run. Terry, well done on your weight loss! Your workout seems quite hardcore to me at the moment, but I would like to build up to that. 6'9'' - wow!! I bet you get that reaction a lot!

I haven't been since it wiped me out, but I really like going to the gym I need to make a plan

Sorry forgot to say it was after the gym session & it followed into the next day, felt absolutely fine whilst peddling away on the exercise bike !

I was thinking along he same lines as you dollybeth, surly it's good to tone up and get fit as well as just thin, I've been reading lots of information about sagging skin as that's a big concern for many of us on here, & if your muscles are weak then so will be your skin.
Terry wow how do you cope with all that exercise? Obviously I can't handle it on the CD Ive left it this week just to the 1 session I'm wondering if I go in the evening & take it a bit easier I should manage, it was 9.30am when I went last time

The basic advice is to reduce exercise for the first couple of weeks while your body is adjusting.. you need to keep yourself active and enjoy life and getting fit and active is important. But many of us have been living with blood sugar levels so high that we've been causing ourselves harm.. CD takes us into very low blood sugar levels so we have to be careful not to over do it.

The first time I did CD in 2009 i had my last soup at 8ish before going out for the evening.. i drank water and danced on the dance floor. On the Saturday morning I woke up late like I would have done if I'd been out drinking.. and when I stood up I collapsed out cold with a black eye from the book shelves on the way down. A&E were certain it was just low blood sugar. I was on SS+ at the time and had had everything I should...

High blood sugar is just as harmful and so the long term will be about getting the balance.. in the meantime I'm sending this from the changing room after aqua aerobics but I've had a bar just before and have a soup to get home to so no risks there :)

Hi all went to the gym again this morning 15 mins bike 10 cross trainer & took it steady ! Let's see how I feel over the next 24hrs, booked in for a re Induction on thurs so the PT can give me a plan to follow, and focus on toning rather than cardio

Hi all. I went back to the gym for the first time in 10 months this morning and did 1hr legs, bums and tums class. 40mins arerobics and 20mins toning exercises. It was fine actually, I made sure I had my shake 45mins before the class, and drank an extra litre of water throughout the day. Feel really fine, just a bit more tired than usual tonight. Early night!

I also go to the gym, generally a class to help me tone as I'm no good with weights + 20 mins on cross trainer doing interval training to improve fitness, or I go for a swim. I've not felt dizzy from any of my gym sessions. I live in London and also cycle everywhere so I'm reasonably active. Phew so far...

I do sometimes feel a little light headed but mostly at home, and always have felt that way and should add its got no connection to gym, when I've laid down watching telly and I get up to get something. Not enough to bother me, and not so bad I might faint!

Hi all. If you're doing a vlcd then you really must listen to your body. A few weeks in and your body is just getting used to the change of fuel. ... Carbs to fat. It takes longer to get your energy from fat as its more complex for your body to break down!

As you follow a vlcd for a short space of time it is very unlikely to 'damage' muscle (your heart being an example of a muscle). However, if you stick to a reasonable amount of exercise burning in the 'fat burning zone' then you're less likely to hurt yourself. Resistance exercise is also a very good way of building muscle tone.

Just always listen to your body! If you don't feel well stop, take on more water as you could quite well be dehydrated then go home and don't continue.

great things said:
Hi all. If you're doing a vlcd then you really must listen to your body. A few weeks in and your body is just getting used to the change of fuel. ... Carbs to fat. It takes longer to get your energy from fat as its more complex for your body to break down!

As you follow a vlcd for a short space of time it is very unlikely to 'damage' muscle (your heart being an example of a muscle). However, if you stick to a reasonable amount of exercise burning in the 'fat burning zone' then you're less likely to hurt yourself. Resistance exercise is also a very good way of building muscle tone.

Just always listen to your body! If you don't feel well stop, take on more water as you could quite well be dehydrated then go home and don't continue.

Ditto!

Back