Workmen and their tea

Mu hubbie was a removal man. They sometimes got tips, they enver really expected it, but truth be told, when it was a big posh house with plenty of money sloshing about, they probably went above and beyond when asked!!

Yup, just goes to show how opinions differ!

When the RSPCA lady and the firemen came to get the cat from down the chimney, I offered them a drink. But I think that was because the RSPCA lady had to sit around waiting for the fire brigade, and I felt so embarrassed that they had to go to so much trouble over my silly cat, I think my every second word was "sorry", followed by "thank you so much". They had gone out of their way to do me a good turn (yes, its kinda their job, but also not, if that makes sense), and weren't being directly paid by me to be there.
Needless to say, they all said no thank you. Perhaps I suck at making tea, and the workmen had a lucky escape?

Any workman that comes to my house gets offered a cup of tea straight away and if they are gonna be a while they get a bacon sandwich too! I think its only manners to offer someone who comes to your house a drink even if they are being paid for the job. I also think its how you were brought up, my mum was the same, there is no way she would let someone come to the house without offering them tea/coffee so i'm just doing the same, its just basic manners!!

Agree with mumstheshopper 100%

I have to say I dont think its 'bad manners' not to offer workmen who are paid to come & do a job a cup of tea particularly if they are only going to be there a short while. If it were guests then yes they most certainly be offered something but thats an entirely different subject.

I was brought up properly (I think!) and have excellent manners (I think!), but neh, not offering the workmen a cuppa doesn't become bad manners in my book. It's not like I was sat in the living room with a cuppa, some weetabix, watching Jeremy Kyle - I was upstairs, working, whilst watching Jeremy Kyle! :D

And I don't care if they grumbled about me being a miserable cow in the van (I'm jumping to conclusions here!), I grumbled about them being sarcastic gits with muddy feet upon their departure :)

But my windows are lovely and shiny

I have to say I dont think its 'bad manners' not to offer workmen who are paid to come & do a job a cup of tea particularly if they are only going to be there a short while..

Have to agree with this. It's nothing to do with manners, good or bad as far as i can see!

I was brought up properly (I think!) and have excellent manners (I think!), but neh, not offering the workmen a cuppa doesn't become bad manners in my book. It's not like I was sat in the living room with a cuppa, some weetabix, watching Jeremy Kyle - I was upstairs, working, whilst watching Jeremy Kyle! :D

And I don't care if they grumbled about me being a miserable cow in the van (I'm jumping to conclusions here!), I grumbled about them being sarcastic gits with muddy feet upon their departure :)

But my windows are lovely and shiny

That made me lol!!! :D

:) I know what you mean. I saw my mother bending over backwards for workmen types (not in the physical sense, I hope!), so I have no excuse :D

Each to their own x

i just wonder if it's a traditional thing, or possibly a generational or even north(east)ern thing?

Slightly off topic, but the bin men always get a nip of scotch or brandy every year or an ice cold one on a summers day (always offered, never asked for) - apart from the driver who gets his "to go".

Tis is a throwback from the 50s/60s when our family knew all of the bin men and now running into 3rd generations. Our neighbours think we're mad, but a lot of those binmen are from good old County Durham mining stock - it's important to me and my heritage.

I'm only 32 & a southener so definitely not an old or northern person thing:)

I remember the binmen used to get a christmas bonus when i was a kid - and the postman as well.

My hubby is a window fitter, he carries a kettle, teabags and milk in the van, if he is not offered tea he makes his own. He also carries squash and a large cup for the hot weather.
He has been to what he calls dry houses, but also like Tinytootz mum he has been offered Bacon sarnies and full cooked dinners with pudding whilst working. These are very rare and only if he is going to be there all week or longer, but on quick jobs like half days he would never expect to get a cup of tea but says it thinks it is curtious for customers to at least offer, he is also extremely greatfull to his customers when he does get offered anything.

As most of the workmen that come to my house are also friends they all get tea.

My hubby is also a window fitter he also takes his own stuff when working in empty properties.

When places are occupied I think he's grateful for a coffee if it's the morning but as he says he's there to work not drink tea and he certainly wouldn't take a break for it *cracks the whip

Back