Workout..can anyone help?

Rhino

Ex-22 stone unit!
Hiya guys,

Well, I have been going to the gym for a month or two now and I must say I do enjoy it!

I won't lie, I hardly do cardio, my current routine looks mainly consists of arms and shoulder workouts and also sit-ups. My cardio seems to be a 10 minute cycle (1 level increase per minute). I understand I'm never going to lose the weight by just doing weights and strength training, but when it comes to cardio I have no idea what to do. I am not a good runner, and I only tend to last about 5 minutes at most on a brisk walk with maybe 1 minute of a jog on the treadmill.

My aim is to lose weight and increase my muscle, is it possible to do both at the same time?

Your help is needed.

Thanks

Hiya guys,

Well, I have been going to the gym for a month or two now and I must say I do enjoy it!

I won't lie, I hardly do cardio, my current routine looks mainly consists of arms and shoulder workouts and also sit-ups. My cardio seems to be a 10 minute cycle (1 level increase per minute). I understand I'm never going to lose the weight by just doing weights and strength training, but when it comes to cardio I have no idea what to do. I am not a good runner, and I only tend to last about 5 minutes at most on a brisk walk with maybe 1 minute of a jog on the treadmill.

My aim is to lose weight and increase my muscle, is it possible to do both at the same time?

Your help is needed.

Thanks

I'm doing the 30 day shred dvd at home, there we do 2 mins of cardio inbetween 2 x 2 sets of strength, keeping the heartrate up so you burn calories AND tone muscle.
If you hate running, try mixing it with jumping jacks, high knee jogging and skipping.
Hope this helps!

Your help is needed.

Thanks

I will just focus on this bit, as it the answer is a simple yes - but it is very difficult.

To lose bodyfat, you need to consume less calories than your body makes use of over a period of time.

To gain any significant amount of muscle you will need to consume more calories than your body makes use of over a period of time.

You can do both of these things in the same week but it will require specific calculations and a very strict diet!

Remember muscles are built in the kitchen, not in the gym.

Best of luck :)

Maybe I need to do the weight loss whilst building muscle gradually, that does sound hard Lift :(

Hiya guys,

I won't lie, I hardly do cardio, my current routine looks mainly consists of arms and shoulder workouts and also sit-ups. My cardio seems to be a 10 minute cycle (1 level increase per minute). I understand I'm never going to lose the weight by just doing weights and strength training, but when it comes to cardio I have no idea what to do. I am not a good runner, and I only tend to last about 5 minutes at most on a brisk walk with maybe 1 minute of a jog on the treadmill. eating sensibly and working out your BMR will help with the fat burning process and build muscle whilst loosing weight. you might find the scales stall a little but remember you'll be replacing fat with muscle. both weight the same but muscle doesn't take up as much room as fat and will give you a leaner more toned look. i think that cals do not matter. you always need to eat less than your BMR says to eat if you want to loose weight. you do not need more to burn fat and develop muscle. you just need to make your body more efficient at using it's fat as fuel.

Your help is needed.

Thanks

if you want to loose weight find your fat burning ratio. it's where you are slightly out of breath and your heart is working harder but not reaching the cardio levels. interval training is great for this as the fluctuation of levels means that your body burns cals and fat for longer than just keeping at the same levels.

work out your BMR and eat less than this. it doesn't matter whether you are fat burning or building muscle you do not need to eat more cals than you can burn as it will just be stored as fat. you can build muscle on a low cal diet. remember that sometimes the scales stalls as you will be turning fat into muscle and they weight the same but muscle takes up less room in your body giving you an overall leaner look. if you lower the carbs you can then force your body into burning fat for fuel.

The fact is you wont burn any fat by workout alone, even if you spend hours on a treadmill. You need to be eating less than your body needs then it takes its supply from fat stores.

Take it from me, I spent from last July - December maintaining exactly the same weight, despite going to the gym 4-5 times a week and doing very intense workouts. I cannot stress enough how important the right food is!!

You need to find a BMR calc online, and start counting calories, or else join a weightloss class (if you are so inclined to) like weightwatchers to manage what you eat.

If you do gym and food management, even without cardiovascular exercise, the weight will drop off you

Just done a few more and they seem to be around the 2600 mark, so am I right in thinking that If I stick to that amount of calories per day, work out at the gym and stop eating at silly oclock, things will start to look up?

Just done a few more and they seem to be around the 2600 mark, so am I right in thinking that If I stick to that amount of calories per day, work out at the gym and stop eating at silly oclock, things will start to look up?

to loose 1lb a week you need to undereat by 500 cals a day. you need to create a deficit of 3500 over a week.

try this BMR calc.... BMR Calculator

my BMR is 1483.65. cals this is a stay in bed rate, doing nothing at all rate.

fat burning heart rate is less than a cardio heart rate.

Back