Worried about dating scan!

Hayls222

Due to my first pregnancy (over eating and generally being lazy) I have a lot of excess tummy fat (over hang YUCK!) and because of this excess I'm worried how clear my first scan will be.

Also I'm worried that I may get an obnoxious sonographer who has no bed side manner or tact. I know I'm fat and that they will have to push on my tummy so it hurts and I'm perpared for that. I just don't want to hear any snide comments.

Has anyone suffered this reaction or I'm I just being paranoid?

Thanks x

I wouldn't worry too much hun. I am a bigger woman anyway and was even before falling pregnant, so had no previous baby weight to blame. All me.
The sonographers SHOULD be professional and although they may say about your weight, they should explain it in a way that's not as though it's a personal dig.
Mine said something along the lines of "Due to your body habitus, it's not very clear to see which makes it a little bit more difficult" but I knew that anyway and I could tell she was trying to be cautious about how she said things.
I hope your scan goes OK and I hope you don't get a snooty sonographer. They should be able to find everything they need OK.
They did with me and as I said, I wasn't thin before getting pregnant myself. xxx

HI,

I really wouldn't worry about it. I'm now 80lbs over weight but at my 12 week scan they didn't have to push, and everything was clear as day. I have my 20 week scan tomorrow and if a sonographer even mentions my weight (I really don't think weight is in their area of expertise) I shall promptly and swiftly put them in their place!;):D
And if they do push on your tummy and it hurts then tell them so! and ask them to be gentle. It's your pregnancy and your body and don't allow the medical profession make you feel any different! :)

Went on a bit of a rant then didn't I ! Opps!
Have a lovely time at your scan!

XxAbbiexX23 and mummytummy
Thanks, I was over weight before having Freya About 16st but it seemed to be distrbuted equally all over. Now since being pregnant with Freya where I put on 5st, my tummy is just huge and over hangs (sorry if tmi). I look 9 months preg and I'm only 10 weeks. I managed to loose 1st and then fell pregnant and have subsiquently put it back on lol.

Have either of you been asked about blood thinning injections toward the end of gestation to stop blood clots in women with high BMI's??????? I'm nervous about them and think I'm going to use my right to refuse! What about you????

good luck hayls!! would they really need to push hard? that doesnt seem right to put you in pain.

poke her in the eye if she is rude to you about your weight then blame your hormones ;) its naff all to do with them anyway

Have either of you been asked about blood thinning injections toward the end of gestation to stop blood clots in women with high BMI's??????? I'm nervous about them and think I'm going to use my right to refuse! What about you????

I've never had blood thinning injections mentioned to me at all. Maybe my BMI isn't as high to be in that category, so unfortunately can't advise you on this one. Do some research though to find out if the injections are something you would opt for or against.

xx

Thanks ladies, Well I only have a week to wait before my scan so I'm going to try and push my worries aside and allow myself to be excited YAY! xx

Deffinately don't be worried about your scan! They're brill... With this pregnancy I got sent in to have a scan before I was due one because I'd had some pain and spent the whole time stressing instead of seein the baby and being excited and I was gutted afterwards lol.
Just try and enjoy it! As for pushing hard... I do tend to find it a bit uncomfortable but I think that's probably more due to the full bladder factor? Also, you've got to remember if it's anything like our hospital they don't just deal with pregnant ppl, they can deal with all sorts of different things, I know my dad had a scan for a pain in his back so they'll have scanned all sorts of shapes and sizes of ppl :0)

Back