Wow, Information about black coffee and why am I not losing enough weight.

single+2angel

Morning all, this is my 3rd WI day . I am going to the pharmacy 3pm. My last WI was really disappointing so hopefully it will be better today. I've been in contact with LT about the slow weight lost:cry: I am having.Apparently it's could be a number of reasons in my case:

1-Retaining lots of water due to spotting ( having TOTM 3 weeks now continuosly)
2-Drinking too much coffee.(Usually 10-12 3 dl cup (3-3.6 litre:eek:) If I counting the carb content it's all adds up. 10cups*1.08g(1.5tsp)=10.8g of carb:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: a day.

Nescafe Instant Coffee GranulesNutrition

Typical values
per 2g (1tsp)
Energy
5.38 Kj
Energy
1.26kcal
Protein
0.14g
Carbohydrate
0.72g
of which sugars
0.18g
Fat
Trace
of which saturates
Trace
Fibre
0.54g
Sodium
Trace
3-Not sipping my water troughout the day but downing them when I feel like it.
4- Dividing my milkshakes to have 6 meal instead of 3 (but they can not prove it this is bad it's just an idea)
5- Most of my weight is muscle and not enough fat ( they didn't see me so it's just their guess).

So that's it at the moment. Waiting for my 3rd WI patiently.Fingers crossed.
x:family2:

I dont agree with the black coffee thing as we are told we can have as much as we like and its a lifesaver for me, i know the atkins is a lo carb diet and they dont count the carbs in coffee, and also lipotrim is not really that lo carb it is very low calorie thats why it works and then goes onto refeed slowly introducing pots etc to help you maintain 3 servings of LT a day is about 50g of carbs i think, let us know if the pharmacist gives you anymore info on the coffee thing as ive just had 2 cups in a row!!!

maybe thats whats wrong with me, i also drink about 10 cups a day :( bewley's ground out of a machine at work :( will try to cut down, i dont drink t though :(

We had a thread here a while ago as some also split their shakes and kept not losing or losing very little and Lipotrim said that u shall NOT split the shakes as u should have at least a 4 hour gap between the shakes! And when she followed that the weight came off no bother!

I usually have around 5 mugs of coffee a day as the same for me is a life saviour, and i do not have any probs with weight loss!

Seriously try not to split the shakes and see how that works for ya!

All d best

x

I'm not sure I agree on the coffee thing, though i have less black than when i had it white. As far as I am aware we are allowed to drink as much black coffee and tea as we like!

I don't really get how splitting the shakes would hinder weight loss - but it's worth trying to have 3, for a week, and see what happens :)

Good luck and hope you have a better weigh-in result this week :)

Blimey. I always split my shakes on Cambridge and drank copious amounts of coffee. Still lost 8 stone.

I'm on the side of caffeine being a healthy addition to the diet owing to it's antioxidents blah blah, and so drink loads (just for these health benefits mind you :D).

:eek: 10g of carbs a day is not exactly dreadful anyway is it? *shows total ignorance*

LT advised me too not to split the shakes, and when I stopped splitting them- there was no difference to my losses! They also thought I was drinking too much water (I was, usually 7-8l a day!) which was causing retention. I dropped my water intake and for a few weeks my losses improved. I don't drink coffee, but swapped my tea for decaff tea- again, no difference.

mmmm....well, I have been doing a LOT of research this past week as I am re-feeding and have learnt quite a bit about carbs! the dreaded carbs for me!!

And, funnily enough I read about caffeine affecting ketosis; this was in a book called Curb the Carb and also on a few websites regarding ketosis...not nec re: Lipotrim mind you. I didnt think anything of it, because I have almost stopped drinking coffee.

I dont think we should push it aside.....I think if you have been given the info, maybe take it away and dont drink coffee for a week and see if it makes any difference? That's what I would do.

There is that much info out there that you get totally bamboozled by it all! I know LT say drink coffee but maybe they should be saying if there is a limit??? Although 10 cups a day is a little excessive maybe for LT.

I have just decided that

And, funnily enough I read about caffeine affecting ketosis; ...and also on a few websites regarding ketosis...not nec re: Lipotrim mind you.
I'd read that too, thats why I switched to de-caff tea?

Caffeine doesn't bring you out of ketosis unless you are very insulin resistant. In fact, many expert low carbers take caffeine and another supp. pills to help with weight loss

I know it used to be said that it effected ketosis, but it's been disproved since.

Last edited:
Caffeine doesn't bring you out of ketosis unless you are very insulin resistant. In fact, many expert low carbers take caffeine and another supp. pills to help with weight loss

I know it used to be said that it effected ketosis, but it's been disproved since.

Thanks KD!!! Much appreciated. Iwas told you were the queen of Carb info :)

i think if u on adkins u have to drink de caff, u not allowed caffeine but dunno if that because of ketosis or not

i kno regardless i drink to much coffee!! but figured i couldn kick food and coffee at same time!! but maybe when i come back on tfr will cut down and c does it affect my losses,
i dont drink t never did, and ive tried pepermint, green, herbal and rose or something i cant drink any of them :( so suggestions would be gratefully received ;)

Been following this thread with interest.

My 1st time on LT (some 2 years ago) I converted from fruit teas and lattes to black coffee, for a few weeks I was ok but shortly thereafter I got major salt cravings; I have posted about it this evening.

My first 6 weeks this time were wonderful, no salt cravings although I had coffee in my shakes, I didnt drink black coffee at all, only water.

On hols I drank coffee from my sis wonderful coffee machine but whilst I didnt get my salt craving probably cos I got salt from my diet there, I got my caffiene addiction back.

Since I have been back (Monday) I have been drinking black coffee again and my salt craving has returned.

What I love about this 'diet' is how I am now thinking about what I am eating/drinking in a more productive way.

Looks like I will be giving up the black coffee for a while then!!

I dont think the original post was claiming that caffeine was causing slow loss but rather the carb content. I'm still not sure I'd be convinced but as someone said, try a week without it and see what happens. Atkins says 'no caffeine' so that you rid yourself of all addictions. I did Atkins a few years back, and consumed copious amounts of diet coke and black coffee and lost 3 stone in 4 months.

I love my black coffee on LT, but I try to cut back by drinking peppermint tea instead. One addiction at a time for me though.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

nicolas - try a normal black tea bag but really reallty weak. dunk it for 10 seconds max and don't squeeze it out too much. that's what's helped me drink black tea :)

(also rose tea would be a no-no anyway as it's not leaf tea, so it's just as well you didn't fall in love with it!)

hope that helps :)

I started this morning to curb back my coffee addiction. I plan to cut down to 5 cups (3dl each) tops. I have no idea if this will help or not but 1 week is not a long time. might do it for 2 weeks actually because my next WI will be on the 20th. I lost 5lbs this WI so I wouldn't think coffee was/is the factor of not losing weight. It must be water retention from TOTM. Anyway I do not think that that much coffee was healthy so it can only be good for curbing the addiction. I plan to drink warm water instead for starters and we will see. There is so much we don't know about this diet and how it works but until I am losing weight I am ok with it. I gave up on other diets so easily because of different reasons but I will not give up on this one. And little bit of compromise in my life I can live with.(Just don't ask me to give up cigarettes:eek:)
So...
Thanks for all the replies guys, good luck on following this diet for everybody(including myself).
x:family2:

I lost 5lbs this WI so I wouldn't think coffee was/is the factor of not losing weight. It must be water retention from TOTM.

5lb is a *great* loss, I really think that's to be credited - please don't worry about why you didn't lose more!!!

Good luck with your caffeine intake experiement :)

I find if i have filter coffee it makes me want fewer cups as it's obviously stronger/better quality. Don't know if that might help for you, or if you already have it? I've been having coffee bags, various brands, available in supermarkets, which are fab for sticking in your handbag for work or they were great for taking away camping too ;)

nicolas - try a normal black tea bag but really reallty weak. dunk it for 10 seconds max and don't squeeze it out too much. that's what's helped me drink black tea :)

(also rose tea would be a no-no anyway as it's not leaf tea, so it's just as well you didn't fall in love with it!)

hope that helps :)

Yes, I took a leaf (hahaha) out of Elle's book the other week and tried weak tea and I like it! And never in my entire life have I ever liked black tea...albiet very weak, but very refreshing actually..

i think if u on adkins u have to drink de caff, u not allowed caffeine but dunno if that because of ketosis or not

i kno regardless i drink to much coffee!! but figured i couldn kick food and coffee at same time!! but maybe when i come back on tfr will cut down and c does it affect my losses,
i dont drink t never did, and ive tried pepermint, green, herbal and rose or something i cant drink any of them :( so suggestions would be gratefully received ;)

Nicolas,,,,,my neighbour made me a cup the other day, it was light Ceylon, or something like that....it was gorgeous..was really surprised. I nearly bought a box the other night when I went shopping but my OH said we had some in the cupboard!!!! Might be an idea to try it....

Back