WW meetings -different program?

bellefrogette

Silver Member
Hi there , is anyone going to WW meetings for tips, motivation and weigh-ins but using a different program for weight lost e.g a VLCD or a raw food diet or any other diet?

BTW I am not into debating the ethics of this and what WW might want or not want.

I am looking at what I need practically, that's all. I know I need a once a week meeting and weigh in at a location and a time that is right for me, so far only WW has meetings that fit my basic criteria.

I think if youre doing a VLCD then going to a WW meeting is unfair to even consider. I know a friend of mine goes to SW classes for wi's but is doing WW which is fine as the weight losses are on a par, but if youre doing a diet with higher than WW type losses then I think you need to look at the ethics and moral side of it. Its all very well it might keep you on track but you could be doing all kinds of damage to other peoples motivation

If you need the regime of a regular weigh in why not go to your doctor or practise nurse. That way you can go when ever it suits you

I think if youre doing a VLCD then going to a WW meeting is unfair to even consider. I know a friend of mine goes to SW classes for wi's but is doing WW which is fine as the weight losses are on a par, but if youre doing a diet with higher than WW type losses then I think you need to look at the ethics and moral side of it. Its all very well it might keep you on track but you could be doing all kinds of damage to other peoples motivation

If you need the regime of a regular weigh in why not go to your doctor or practise nurse. That way you can go when ever it suits you

Good points Starlight and I am sure WW or SW would prefer that all members are following their programe, but they are not idiots, they know not everyone is .I am going to do what suits me , in truth that is the only way-its taken me years to realise that.( I spent too many years listening to 'experts' instead of being sensitive to my needs, well 2010 is going to be different)

If a persons calorie intake is lower or their activity is much higher than average ( and I feel that that might be a better consideration regarding consistent weight loss than calories per se) and they want to use meetings for pep talks and tips or because they need a meeting all I would suggest is don't talk about what they are losing, maybe weigh at the end of the meeting etc. Just be smart about it.

Even when I was doing WW points, I never did talk much . I never wanted the stars or took part in the announcements.What is great about WW meetings is that there is room for the quiet types

I am still looking for a group and I am clear on that point.

For now all I want to see if anyone else is just going to the meetings,any meetings but not following the specific meeting programe. I am not making any assumptions about why, nor making a judgement.

Last edited:
Like I said my friend does it. Goes to SW classes, follows WW diet, seems to work fine for her but then she only goes for the weigh in

If youre only losing a 'WW type' of loss I cant see it would matter, the only thing you might find is the classes are pretty geared towards WW. The ones Ive been to havent been general weight loss talk but quite specific to WW which might be hard if youre not doing the diet. The tips are generally WW orientated, to do with points etc that kind of thing Im not sure what someone not on the plan would get from that. The classes tend to have things like sample night, cooking demos and lots of discussion about food, not what someone on a VLCD would want I shouldnt think..

The danger would be if your losses were consistently higher, youd more than likely find yourself thrust into the 'limelight' like it or not. No leader is going to risk the chance to show off her star pupil and if youre doing CD your losses are going to be huge by comparison to people following the plan.

Does LL not have a group element to it??

You know starlight, again you make some good points but
For instance, I am an adult, no one shows me off without my consent---:p and I would never give it , I am not that type, and I am sure there are many who quietly go about their weight loss without the public element.

Last edited:
P.S and thanks for taking the time to point some of this stuff out, its good to be aware of possible difficulties upfront.

Last edited:
If you feel youll get something from it, its worth a try... I know youre not looking at the problem side but I think the first one youll come up against and you WILL need to decide how to deal with it, is on a VLCD youre going to be showing much bigger losses than everyone else. First thing youll be asked at the scales is 'How on earth are you doing that' and depending on your answer the 2nd thing will be 'Will you bring in your food diary' Im not trying to be awkward and argumentative (tho I have been known to in the past lol) but having been to a gazillion meetings over the year, and more recently helped at classes, I know how these leaders minds work.

If you say youre doing the diet be prepared for questions, if you admit youre not..... well Im not sure lol

Why not try calling a leader near where you live and run it by her, it would be easier all round if you could go 'openly' and know she wasnt going to ask how much youd lost or for tips etc. If she knows youre not doing the diet but feel youd get benefit from the meetings (AND youre happy to pay the fees ;) ) she might be happy for you to be there as a 'silent' member. It would be easier all round but Im not sure if theyd go for it....

Best of luck what ever you end up doing, be sure and keep us posted... we're dead nosey like that here ;)

Thanks Starlight, I am not going to run it by anyone. I don't need permission to attend or anyones approval.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Starlight. At my WW WI class there is a lady that goes to WW to get weighed in but follows a "starvation diet" she has 1 meal a day and that is soup, so her losses are pretty high but she has nothing in common with all the other attendees and to be honest there's some resentment towards her for taking up the leaders time when all she is doing is starving herself, I was thinking about her last night and was worried that some of the younger attendees might decide to follow suit. The leader gave her a good talking to this week to try and get her to at least have breakfast! I don't see the point to be honest of attending WW or SW if you don't intend to follow that diet. What will you get out of it other than getting weighed?

If VLCD is your chosen route (and you have right to go down that route thats why there is so many diets on offer - something to suit everyone) then maybe there is a support website or group that is geared towards the type of diet you would rather follow and therefore have people that you will have more in common with.

A friend of mine followed CD and she had a weekly weigh in with her consultant and some time tagged on the end to discuss how the diet was going and how she was feeling, it was all geared towards VLCD and not towards something totally different. Not sure what you would get out of attending a WW or SW meeting but following a very different diet which, lets face it, the leaders/consultants don't agree with (ie my leader is very anti VLCD's).

Just airing my honest opinion on the subject.

That's fine Lynda and thanks for your input, but I think I have covered all the points I care to , including what I will get out of it .

I am actually not going to give anymore responses to the thread because its becoming about me, where as it was started as an open question.

Last edited:
Actually my name is Lydia and not Lynda.

Back