You can buy what???

Where do you get your baked beans if not in tins? (Asks the clueless American)

I loathe tinned baked beans! I can't even look at them. I can't sit near someone eating them. So many people on this site mention "jacket and beans" and I just cringe reading it.

Yes, I know, a totally unreasonable and over-the-top reaction, but there you are!

However, proper Boston Baked Beans, made from scratch are really nice. Takes ages to cook and I wouldn't do it very often, but worth the effort.

Kankles said:
Is the frozen mash free on a green day?

Definitely not. It will have butter and other stuff in it :(

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

I know this probably doesn't sound bad at all but those slices of gelatin you see in the home baking section always made me shudder. As you probably know, gelatin is pig collegen and mashed bones, often added to desserts and sweets to give it that 'jelly' texture. To think that you can buy it in sheets makes me feel ill! :9529:

The worst I heard though was my friend's dad who went to Korea and they sold clear jars of white baby mice in this one food shop. So I suppose it could be worse...a lot worse! Think I'll stick to Asda cheers!

I loathe tinned baked beans! I can't even look at them. I can't sit near someone eating them. So many people on this site mention "jacket and beans" and I just cringe reading it.

Yes, I know, a totally unreasonable and over-the-top reaction, but there you are!

However, proper Boston Baked Beans, made from scratch are really nice. Takes ages to cook and I wouldn't do it very often, but worth the effort.

I'm the same with coconut - evil devils food - even seeing one in the supermarket makes me feel queasy.

I just looked up the recipe for Boston Beans - not exactly SW friendly with all that treacle & sugar in it, but I might try one weekend anyway!

Tinned sprouts are disgusting!!!! They really are a bestseller in France, which was where we bought them when we were holidaying in a cottage one year. I have never tasted anything so vile. They were so bad I had to buy a tin to bring home for the rest of the family to try if you understand what I mean. It meant they wouldn't make the same mistake as I did and buy them.

I discovered tinned mushrooms at Christmas (not a present, part of brekkie at my dad's! ;)) and they taste just as nice as fresh ones! Nice and easy and no peeling or them going off in the fridge!

OH, i hate them...they feel too wet, and look like slugs, however i am fine with fresh mushrooms!

I love brussell sprouts but not sure about them being in a tin, doesent sound to appitising

Oh seeing a boiled egg packaged, turns my stomach rather just do it myself.

i believe that you can get whole roast chicken in a can lol

No I still agree with you re: frozen mash!

Just lookat the packaging/ingredients, additives, butter, milk/cream, added salt etc. Possibly emulsifiers, various E numbers and on it goes. They may well have a calorie count.

Meanwhile, back in SW-land, I would expect the ingredient list to read potatoes, water (trace). should you wish to add, anything else, you have full control over the process.

After all, as we all know, potatoes are free on green/extra-easy.

Quite a boring mantra I admit, but has worked for me thus far.

Not just with mash or spuds (Asda even sell peeled potatoes in bags!!) but all pre-packed foods. Convenient they may be, but part of the joy of cooking fresh is cooking from scratch and making the time to prepare it.

Admittedly, I have plenty of time and other people may have busier lifestyles than me:p

gl12282 said:
Definitely not. It will have butter and other stuff in it :(

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

Now why doesn't that suprise me! Still we live in hope huh x

Aunt Bessies mash - 100g raw - 2.5 syns on EE. So not too bad but definitely not free :(

Gail x

Not free but not an overkill either good to know when I'm in a rush or ran out of spuds! X

I suppose that we ought to remember that a lot of these things in tins are sold in countries where storing food can be difficult - hot country, no refrigeration. Canned goods would sometimes be the only option.

Absolutely same as! Hate, hate, hate them|!! The worst thing is ordering a full english somewhere. Yum yum. Only to find you forgot to aske withoiut baked beans and there's baked bean juice over it. I can't eat it, if it's on the plate!!

Back