Your exercise routines

evilpenguin

Not evil at all
Hi guys

I am curious to know about your exercising! Do you go to a gym or work out at home? Or do you do things like take the stairs instead of lifts, do housework or gardening, or go to a dance class? And if you do exercise how long for?

I go the gym 1 - 2 times a week and I've started doing 10 mins on the treadmill, 5 mins on the rowing machine and I'm working up to do 10 mins on the cross trainer. I was surprised at how easy the cross trainer is after you get used to exercising, the first time I went I hated the cross trainer - it made everything hurt, but now after a few months of being a gym member I can do a few minutes on it without dying then have a wee break and do another couple of minutes.. and it's quite a fun work out :)

Anyway the reason I'm asking is I am a nosey so and so! And I would like to compare routines and maybe pick up new exercise ideas!

xxxx

hi evil penguin :D

i cant afford to go to a gym so i've been exercising at home, i usually do crunches, squats and leg exercises and try and do a bit more each day :) ive also been doing some aerobics routines off youtube and im going to try and start going for little jogs around the village.

i admire your work on the cross trainer - i hate them! when i used to go to the gyn i used to try and try every time i went but i just couldnt do it :confused: might be a co-ordination thing but i just felt really strange and surreal (im weird obviously lol) and the final straw was when i actually fell off!! :8855: hilarious but very embarassing...:eek: keep up the good work!! xx

presently walk alot at the weekend with O/H which is improvement as not long ago I did nothing as a result of my ugly depression rearing its head! But starting to walk more now during the week, I love walking it sooo relaxing :)

Erm - does just moving about in general count?

mon-fri - 3 mile in total school run walk per day
everyday - hoover top to bottom of house clean up retc
weekend go for long hyking walks with dog and ben
30mins everynight on wii

you'd think i be size 6! lol

Last edited:
30 mins on exercise bike 6 days a week, with 10 mins hand weight routine (whilst peddling!).
Walk children to school and back (15 mins x 2), 5 days a week.
40-60 mins walking dog (usually fast pace), 6 days a week.
Aquafit twice a week.

Its enough and its maintainable (I really don't like gyms) :-D x

hi evil penguin :D

i cant afford to go to a gym so i've been exercising at home, i usually do crunches, squats and leg exercises and try and do a bit more each day :) ive also been doing some aerobics routines off youtube and im going to try and start going for little jogs around the village.

i admire your work on the cross trainer - i hate them! when i used to go to the gyn i used to try and try every time i went but i just couldnt do it :confused: might be a co-ordination thing but i just felt really strange and surreal (im weird obviously lol) and the final straw was when i actually fell off!! :8855: hilarious but very embarassing...:eek: keep up the good work!! xx

If it wasn't for my job I wouldn't be able to go to the gym either, I'm just lucky in that I can use the civil service gyms for about £5 a month. You seem to be doing really well with exercise at home and to be honest the gym isn't a nice place - if I wasn't so lazy I would go walks around my village but I make too many excuses so having a membership at the gym I know it'd be wasting £50 odd a year if I didn't go! Lol the cross trainer is a bit weird I agree!! Haven't fell off it yet lol :D

Erm - does just moving about in general count?

Yes! Any type of movement counts in my eyes! :D

mon-fri - 3 mile in total school run walk
everyday - hoover top to bottom of house clean up retc
weekend go for long hyking walks with dog and ben
30mins everynight on wii

you'd think i be size 6! lol

Puts my half hour work out to shame gemma!!!

I think once I've lost a good chunk of weight I'll get a bike and go cycling around the countryside, and also maybe get a swimming costume and make my first visit to a public pool in about a decade!

Thanks for your replies guys x

I just joined the gym (I've been on the 3 day trial) near me last night, I had to seriously work on my sums to be able to afford it, the last gym I went to was only 16.99 per month - this one is £43.95 so a big jump. Fingers crossed, I will get my moneys worth from it.

Having had the 3 day trial, it's a really nice gym, very friendly staff & also loads of staff who are wandering round the gym, helping people and running classes. There are over 90 classes a week!!!

LOL - I sound like I'm advertising for them, but I'm not, honest!! I was just very impressed.

Anyway all the exercise I have done over the past week better give me a nice result on the scales tonight - I need some motivation in the form of lower numbers :)

I go to the gym 4/5 times a week for between an hour and 1 1/2 each time.

I take advantage of a deal the gym has with my sons football team and it costs 66 pound a year, otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Would love to try zumba and also looking forward to losing more weight and going swimming as thats free with the gym :D little to embarrassed about wearing a cossie yet :eek:

I exercise at home as well and am lucky enough to have a decent sized swimming pool, so I swim every day and I do step exercises each day as well.

My life style is incredibly busy so I guess I get loads of other exercise as well with the dogs, the neds, the goats etc.

Three days a week I stand at markets and I walk miles there looking for bargains........good exercise that one.

Very interesting thread . Well started !!

Fillymum, I would love my own pool! I'm too self concious to go to a public one just now!

Cailin Maith you might find that exercise shows losses quicker in inches rather than in weight, so if your loss isn't as good as you're hoping don't worry it will show eventually :)

Soccermom you are dedicated! What is zumba? Everyone at my SW class seems to go to it!

Cailin Maith you might find that exercise shows losses quicker in inches rather than in weight, so if your loss isn't as good as you're hoping don't worry it will show eventually :)

Thanks Penguin :)

I lost 2.5lbs last night at WI and I'm happy with that, mainly because it's my * week next week and I usually feel most bloated the week before.

I def think all the work I put in at the gym this last week helped and tonight, I'm going to make sure I do my measurements as I think it will be a good motivator.

Good stuff Cailin! Well done on the loss, that's fab! Definitely measure yourself, it's nice to see the inches going down as well as the weight. Good luck xxx

Left eyelid, up/down , up/ down :p No really I mean to get back on my Wii, but it's SO hot and I love to be outside.

I walk everywhere (no car) and go to a Personal Trainer once a week and have built a close relationship with Davina McCall's DVD's at home :)

I always said I couldnt afford the gym and would exercise at home using wii fit... but I get distracted by the more fun less calorie burning exercises on it!
Joined the gym 2 and a half weeks ago, was like you and was dying after 1 min on the x trainer - went today and managed 20 mins! We cover up the displays and keep on til were cream crackered. Also row 1500 metres on rower as quick as poss, do 10 mins on the bike, 15 on treads and walk to n from leisure centre.
Mw and OH go to the gym 3 times a week and swimming 3-4 times a week - find I dont ache as much if I go swimming after a gym session. x

Fillymum, I would love my own pool! I'm too self concious to go to a public one!

I can relate to that 100%. Our pool is very private, not overlooked at all and when it is just DH and I , I am fine, we skinny dip, *lovely*, but if we have friends over and they are using the pool I will not join them My body is for private consumption only !!

I go about 5 times a week to a gym which also has a pool. I try and vary what I do, but in the main it is Body Pump sometimes 3 times a week but definitely 2. Swim 50 lengths twice a week, personal trainer once a week, Body Balance once a week. I did all this before starting SW, but I think I was just eating some of the wrong sort of stuff.

Plus I try and walk everywhere I possibly can, to keep fit and save money on petrol!

Back