Your favourite budget SW meal?

dudette2001uk

I will be a Princess!
Hi all!

Here I am once again looking for some inspiration. I was just wondering what everybody's favourite budget meal is on SW. I tend to do EE :)

I'm not always skint, honest, but I think my laptop is going to pack in soon :cry: so I need to start saving some money!

Sian xx

Ooo have lots of s/w recipes that both hubby and I love. Our favorite 2 are pork chops on bubble and squeek with a creamy apple and mustard sauce AND chicken parmigiana with taggliatelli in a marinara sauce....yummmmm!!!

xxx

i am always skint so i know what it's like. Only been doing it a couple of weeks so don't know that many. I've tried the burger and chips tonight, needed to add more seasoning i think but the chips were nice. I also enjoyed the jacket potato with sweetcorn, used ham instead of tuna with light mayo and fromage frais. but they are in the books anyway haven't come up with any of my own yet.

Ooo have lots of s/w recipes that both hubby and I love. Our favorite 2 are pork chops on bubble and squeek with a creamy apple and mustard sauce AND chicken parmigiana with taggliatelli in a marinara sauce....yummmmm!!!

xxx

Ooo, how do you make the creamy apple and mustard sauce? It sounds lovely! :) xx

I LOVE sweetcorn and potato fritters. Par boil potatoes then grate, add sweetcorn and 1 egg to bind. Shape into patties and either fry with frylite or bake in oven until golden. I make big batches of these and freeze then - yummy with salad and salsa and cheap to make! xx

I LOVE sweetcorn and potato fritters. Par boil potatoes then grate, add sweetcorn and 1 egg to bind. Shape into patties and either fry with frylite or bake in oven until golden. I make big batches of these and freeze then - yummy with salad and salsa and cheap to make! xx

Ooo, I love the sounds of that! Thank you hun :) xx

These sound heavenly. Thank you:)

Pack of Asda smart price stir fry veg (50p), combined with one block noodles (29p) along with whatever chicken/fish/quorn I have lying around.

If you are doing this in a gree day, dinner of veg noodle stir fry isn't bad for £0.79p

Porridge is always cheap for brekkies with fruit.
Risotto (vegetable) for cheap dinners
Soups - home made of course
Eggs - I buy the big Free range tray as Asda to do us and it works out fairly cheap for omlette, cinnamon french toast with fruit.

Ooo, how do you make the creamy apple and mustard sauce? It sounds lovely! :) xx

It is yummy. You basically cook off 1 onion and a clove of garlic until softened and golden. Add 1 crisp apple that's been cored and cut into 8 wedges, 1tsp of brown sugar and 1tsp of sweetner and continuously stir until the apples soften and go golden. Put into a bowl for later.

Add more fry light and cook off the 2 chps (minus the fat of course :D ) and cook until browned on both sides (i find a few drops of hot water stop the sugar from burning and help caramalise the chops). Add 150ml(you'll need to make up 300mls) of chicken stock (from cube) 1tsp wholegrsin mustard and bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer and add in the apple mixture. Add a further 100mls of stock cover and simmer for 10 mins.

With the last 50ml of stock add in 2 tbps of ff fromage frais (thats been left out to get to room temperature) and stir.

Serve the chops and apple wedges and pour the sauce into the jug with the stock and fromage frais (this way it shouldn't curdle). Give it a good stir and pour over the chops.

It sounds a little involved but well worth the effort.

Also for things like brown sugar and wholegrain mustard, I picked up a load of brown sugars from a coffee shop...saves buying a whole bag that will sit in my cupboard doing nothing and a small sample size mustard as only use it for this. :D

xxx

Forgot to mention 2 syns per serving and it serves 2 people

xxx

Some of these sound really good. Might try them :)

xxx

Oh sounds yum!! Just got the recipe you have posted for the pork, can you please post the recipe for the chicken parmigiana meal, sounds very interesting!!

Back