Extra Easy 1,300 calories a day

Rosie134

I'm a bit worried because I joined Slimming World a while ago and I have had steady losses of about 2.5lb a week. For the last two weeks I have had small losses and haven't eaten more than I normally do. I know I have lost two stone and the losses slow down after a bit, but I still have about 5 more stone to lose and I am only eating 1,300 calories a day. So if it is slowing I can't really eat less without damaging myself. I don't know whether there is something wrong with my metabolism or anything but it's worrying. I was hoping it wouldn't slow until later, and what can I do if it has? I can't exactly cut down on food.

Your body might have just become a bit complacent & needs a kick start to get back on track. Have you tried changing plans? Or Success Express? Xx

I know I'm not supposed to count but I don't eat a lot and never have, and for the first month of Slimming World I had no energy and had a lot of headaches. I thought it may have been because I was eating too few calories, so I had to find out how many I was eating. I don't eat that much deliberately; that just seems like a lot of food to me. I rarely get hungry.

Oh and I only eat 13 syns a day, I did try to lower it one week to see if it made a difference but it made me have a really small loss. I haven't changed plans, I stick to EE most women in my group have been on that plan without changing for longer than me and they are still fine.

Remember that losses of 1-2lbs per week are normal and healthy with this plan, so if you're still losing between that range each week you're still doing really well after an already fantastic start. I wouldn't drop your syns just yet as you might need to do that once you get close to target - maybe try eating more superfree foods, or as someone suggested, try one of the other plans for a while to give your body a shake-up? x

If you're counting calories you're doing it wrong.

If you had seven stone to lose but don't eat a lot, the little you eat must be made up of choices that gained the weight. Calorie counting on SW will slow your losses. If you count calories, you make trade offs... Instead of eating 500 calories from 5 pieces of fruit, you may decide to have them elsewhere. If you had munched on the fruit anyway you might not have fancied the extra pasta/ slice of bread/ Freddo.

My advice would be to stop counting and start eating. Have you tried success express?

Also... I've just looked properly at your number. 1300? That seems incredibly low to me. Who told you to do that? Are you seeing a nutritionist?

If you are 5 stone overweight you need more calories, not fewer. Bigger animals burn more energy. When I was six stone heavier I ate a lot more on SW.

Hi Rosie

I think your weight loss so far has been brilliant. However, what bothers me here is your concern over 2 weeks of small losses. This really is something you need to be able to feel comfortable about. Weight fluctuates all the time and especially for women. There may be weeks where you STS or put on a pound or two despite doing nothing wrong and following the plan. These are the times it's really going to test your patience and willpower, but so far this hasn't happened to you. You are doing really, really well!

SW works, for some it's fast for others it takes a long time. My advice is to plan ahead, keep on writing your food diary look at what you're eating and forget about the calories you've consumed as this is not part of the plan.

You can do this but you must have positive thoughts, no matter what the scales tell you. I would suggest measuring yourself or keeping an old pair of trousers or something you can keep on trying on to remind yourself just how well you're doing and how far you've come.

I really do wish you the very best of luck :)

I agree with buttonpopper!
Losses do and will vary. Sometimes people may be able to work why and other times there is no real reason. All you can do is do your best and accept your losses ( and gains ) at the end of the week and carry on regardless. This dieting malarkey is just as much what goes on in your head as well as what goes in your mouth! Don't allow a small loss to throw you off track, it will happen.

As for counting calories, different diets work by following different plans. SW is not about calorie counting. If you want to calorie count, then by all means calorie count. It works. If you want to low carb.......low carb, it works! Weight Watchers...it works. But what doesn't work is mixing plans!
SW is made up of 3 parts and not one of those parts asks you count calories..........so why do it?

You also say
"For the last two weeks I have had small losses and haven't eaten more than I normally do"

Maybe that's your answer.......you are not eating enough. You may have lost your first 2 stone easily because you decreased your food intake drastically but because you have cut back too much, it's may have come to a bit of a standstill.
Try to follow SW the correct ( no counting! ) way for a whole week and see.....

Good luck!

I started SW with at least 6 stone to lose... The first 3 stone flew off at around 2-3lb a week then my losses slowed, I've been chasing my 4 stone award since march and my losses have been smaller. Have I let it put me off??? Not at all, I try different plans change it up a bit ad accept that small losses are still losses.

Don't get down from 2 weeks of smaller losses, you're not going to lose big every week but as long as you stick to the diet you'll win eventually.

I also agree with everyone else... Calorie counting is not part of slimming world.

Thanks everyone. I feel a bit silly now and was worrying for nothing as I lost 2.5lb this week. I don't calorie count; as I said I had to see how many calories I was eating on average to check that I wasn't eating too few. I only counted calories for an average day after being on Slimming World for about 9 weeks. I don't care about the calories I eat, but I had to check I wasn't eating too little as I have a problem where I don't feel hunger. I used to go for about four days without eating because I don't get hungry. So every now and again I have to check that I am eating the correct amount of calories (at least over 1000) so I don't become ill.

Back