1.5lbs gain ?????????????????? WHY????

i'lldoit

Banned
Hi
I went out Satd night and all I had was 2 Vodkas with coke Z and water and I have stuck to LL other than just that and this Morning I have gained 1.5lbs OMG :eek: thats silly how can I gain weigh when Im still in Ketosis and I also danced for 2 hours Satd Night GRRRRRRRRRRRRR :( :( :eek: :mad:

ANY IDEAS I have drank lots of water and weighed in 1st thing this morning like I do every morning???????????? Still sticking at LL as I know its working just peeved at this gain

HELP

XXC

Is it approaching TOM, water retention?

I think if u weigh urself again later in the week it will have disappeared.. it must be water, coz if u stick to the diet theres no way u can feasibly put on weight due to the calorie deficiency and ketosis.. so i wouldn't worry about it too much (i know thats easy for me to say ... I have a panic if the scales stay the same!!!!)...I've stopped weighing myself every day now.. in the first few weeks it was encouraging coz there was weightloss every day.. but as u get further and further in to the diet it decreases and its not quite so motivating when u get on the scales and they don't bloody move! So maybe cut it down to a half week and a full week weigh in and then u won't notice any water retention blips?!

PS give ur scales a kick it will make u feel better ;)

me thinks you are getting on the scales a bit too often perhaps???? Was it you that weighed yourself or your counsellor??? xxx

Hi Kirstin
Yes they got a kick and I got :( I weigh myself every morning and I do gain but by Mondays Im in week 8 I have usually dropped 2 + lbs so Im panicking now as I only have 2 days to week 8 weigh-in :eek: ........water retention yes maybe that TOTM I dont know as I had that 3 weeks ago but I have the coil so sometimes its 2 times a month :confused:
Oh well plod on I suppose
Thanks Hun
XXC :eek:

me thinks you are getting on the scales a bit too often perhaps???? Was it you that weighed yourself or your counsellor??? xxx

Hi Clucks it was me I do once a day every morning and I usually drop 2+lbs by Monday Mornings in week 8 this week weigh-in weds PM?
Thanks xxc:confused:

Dont be disheartened, your own scales might not tell the true story. Its probably just water retention . Alchohol is a dehydrator so maybe your body is holding some fluid? I,m sure it will come off.Your doing great . Keep up the good work xx

:rolleyes: naughty!
Keep glugging today & it'll probably shift throughout the day by tomorrow morning. Water retention & weight fluctuation are funny old things! xxx

Dont be disheartened, your own scales might not tell the true story. Its probably just water retention . Alchohol is a dehydrator so maybe your body is holding some fluid? I,m sure it will come off.Your doing great . Keep up the good work xx

Thanks Martine :) know my scales get together with my chatterbox and trip me up,:eek: I will stick at it as I have dropped 3 dress sizes just so wanted to get in the 11'stones somethings this week :confused: fingers crossed xx Hope you are ok ??
XXC

It's most likely water retention. How much is "lots" of water? Alcohol dehydrates you so you do need extra. Also remember that dancing = exercise and the same rules apply for any exercise - drink extra water before, during and after. You may just not have drunk enough water.

One little thing - you said "how can I gain weigh when Im still in Ketosis"

Ketosis has nothing to do with whether you gain or lose weight. It's just the state your body is in when it is deprived of carbohydrates. You can be in ketosis and gain weight - it's the calorie deficit that causes you to lose weight, not the ketosis.

Hi Kate Thanks
But Im on just 500 cals a day and 2 vodkas are just 180 calories coke Z ic 0 so Satd I had 680 calories and danced for 2 hours so that would wipe the Vodka out?
I drank 7 litrs of water yesterday I usually drink 4 litres,I drank 2 1/2 litres of water Satd night when I was dancing?
today I have done 2 litres so far?
Maybe I will drink more today than the 4.
Thanks alot
XXC :)

Hi i'lldoit

Oh, I agree that you would definitely have worked off the calories in the alcohol! It was more of a general point - it's not the fact that you stayed in ketosis that should have meant that you lost weight, it was the fact that you only consumed 680 calories over the course of a day!

Yeah, I'd carry on drinking a bit more water than usual until it shifts, to be honest. It's amazing how much extra water your body needs when you exercise, far more than most people realise. Add to that the extra water you need to drink to counter the dehydrating properties of the alcohol (which isn't as much, but it all adds up) and suddenly it's an awful lot.

Also, make sure your water is spaced out over the day, because drinking extra is no good if you drink it all at once :)

Oh, and dropping 3 dress sizes? Rock on, girl!

Last edited:
Hi hun try not to fret too much over 1.5 little lbs it wont be fat gain it most definitely will be water!

*however* you really shouldnt be drinking ANY alcohol whilst in a ketogenic state!!! It can be very dangerous, if you really must have a voddy or two then please eat something too, and make certain your body isn't still ketogenic when you do consume alcohol.
I know that's not something you will want to hear but honestly alcohol + ketogenic state = BAD!!!!!

Take care hun, (LMAO @ kicking the scales, something that happens regularly in my house)!!!

Hi i'lldoit

Oh, I agree that you would definitely have worked off the calories in the alcohol! It was more of a general point - it's not the fact that you stayed in ketosis that should have meant that you lost weight, it was the fact that you only consumed 680 calories over the course of a day!

Yeah, I'd carry on drinking a bit more water than usual until it shifts, to be honest. It's amazing how much extra water your body needs when you exercise, far more than most people realise. Add to that the extra water you need to drink to counter the dehydrating properties of the alcohol (which isn't as much, but it all adds up) and suddenly it's an awful lot.

Also, make sure your water is spaced out over the day, because drinking extra is no good if you drink it all at once :)

Oh, and dropping 3 dress sizes? Rock on, girl!

Hi kate you have fab advice thanks hun
I started areobics 2 weeks ago its twice a week and I know I have to up my water those days,Im drinking 1 pint an hour 8am to 8pm and try and add abit more if I can:eek: Thanks Hun yes the 3 dress sizes is a big boost :D
XXC

Hi - have you not also been at the gym??? Muscle weighs more than fat don't forget. Have you measured yourself???

Well done on your weight loss and going down the sizes ... it WILL come off and fingers crossed you have a good loss when your counsellor weighs you.

Hi hun try not to fret too much over 1.5 little lbs it wont be fat gain it most definitely will be water!

*however* you really shouldnt be drinking ANY alcohol whilst in a ketogenic state!!! It can be very dangerous, if you really must have a voddy or two then please eat something too, and make certain your body isn't still ketogenic when you do consume alcohol.
I know that's not something you will want to hear but honestly alcohol + ketogenic state = BAD!!!!!

Take care hun, (LMAO @ kicking the scales, something that happens regularly in my house)!!!

Hi Hun yes I know so thats why I had 2 only,wish I could have more but that is it now until Christmas but I may not then.
Yes the scales get kicked alot im afraid :eek:
LOL
XXC

Hi - have you not also been at the gym??? Muscle weighs more than fat don't forget. Have you measured yourself???

Well done on your weight loss and going down the sizes ... it WILL come off and fingers crossed you have a good loss when your counsellor weighs you.

Hi Beverly Ive been doing aerobics so maybe its that too?
Yes I measure myself 2 weekly so I have to do that again next Monday, was 14.5 inches off last Monday from my bust waist hips so that was in 7 weeks :D Thanks HUn I hope my weigh-in is - 3lbs on WEDS that will take me just into the 11's :)
How are you doing today??
XXC

Hi Beverly Ive been doing aerobics so maybe its that too?
Yes I measure myself 2 weekly so I have to do that again next Monday, was 14.5 inches off last Monday from my bust waist hips so that was in 7 weeks :D Thanks HUn I hope my weigh-in is - 3lbs on WEDS that will take me just into the 11's :)
How are you doing today??
XXC

Feeling great thanks!!! Sticking to it .... and looking forward to Wednesday - my weigh in day too! Positive vibes for both of us for Wednesday!!!

Hi - have you not also been at the gym??? Muscle weighs more than fat don't forget.

Sorry to go on about this, but you can't build muscle on a VLCD. You do, however, need to drink lots of extra water to replace lost fluids and avoid water retention. When VLCDers plateau after a session at the gym it's usually due to water retention caused by not drinking enough, rather than muscle gain.

Back