10 months for body to "reset it's memory" Fact - or myth?

Blonde Logic

Yes. You can.
I know we have seen a lot where people say the body takes 10 months to memorise its new size, therefore making maintaining somehwat more natural.
This to me, is one of those "They say" comments, which I generally take as urban myth. I am not saying this topic is - I have just never seen anything in any writings to confirm this.

I am wondering, has anyone ever seen that documented in a medical journal, or news article? If so, do you know where - I would like to have a look.

Again, not saying its not true - I just always take "they say" comments - even if I am the one saying it - with a grain of salt. You know what "they" are like. :D

So - anyone know where I could find this info? I did a quick search, but PC is acting up so timing out without results.

Thanks everyone!!

I've read that on here too and I'm sceptical about it, without evidence, or maybe I just don't believe in myself enough yet, having not been a successful maintainer.

I'll be interested to read the replies on this matter :)

Spoke about this at group last night - and apparently there is a hormone in your body (will put more info when I'm not at work), that bascially takes 12 - 18 months to reset itself. Thats when you're body should realise that is the natural shape and you're not dying!

I know we have seen a lot where people say the body takes 10 months to memorise its new size, therefore making maintaining somehwat more natural.
This to me, is one of those "They say" comments, which I generally take as urban myth. I am not saying this topic is - I have just never seen anything in any writings to confirm this.

I am wondering, has anyone ever seen that documented in a medical journal, or news article? If so, do you know where - I would like to have a look.

Again, not saying its not true - I just always take "they say" comments - even if I am the one saying it - with a grain of salt. You know what "they" are like. :D

So - anyone know where I could find this info? I did a quick search, but PC is acting up so timing out without results.

Thanks everyone!!

What is it you are tying to check out, the reset thing, or that it takes 10 months?

I have loads of info about the bodyset business, but the amount of time it takes to reset is variable. Most say years.

There is another guy from Havard who puts it much lower. Will have to get my notes out and come back to you on that :)

Oh, and the body setpoint isn't a myth. I think most 'experts' except the fact that it happens

Yeah i have heard this also from my LLC. Apparently its true according to them although admittedly i have not read anything on the topic.

This way we wont be fighting our body all the time.

Oh. Me again :D

I have some books about it, but none really give a time frame. There are about 10,000 studies on the hormones responsible.

It's one of those things that has been researched so often it's quite hard to pin down, just mainly excepted as fact now. Rather like proof that calories = energy :D

The main books I have about it are

Break Through Your Body Setpoint by George Blackburn

The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald

BBC Truth About Food (but that only gives it a brief mention).

Think Lyle says it takes years. I'll see if Blackburn gives a time frame

i may need to get those KD.

Good list there ;)

I think its also important to remember that even after 10 - 12 months weight can still easily be put back on.

Now Muscle mass is the other one, thats the safer avenue, the more you have the higher your metabolism and the easier it is to control weight, this is why after this diet i plan to go weight train.

Yeah i have heard this also from my LLC. Apparently its true according to them although admittedly i have not read anything on the topic.

This way we wont be fighting our body all the time.

True that it's 10 months, or true about the body setpoint?

I don't think there is any dispute about the body setpoint, but I also don't think that 10 months is a magic time frame.

BTW, just checked the Blackburn book and he reckons 3-6 months, but that is only after you have slowly reduced calories by 10%

His method is to reduce cals by 10% during six months of dieting (so very slowly), then maintain it for 6 months. Repeat as necessary.

KD can i ask you what the difference is between CD's RTM and LL im about to do it for 12 weeks is it the same on CD?

I know i just switched hte topic, but im just wondering about 12 weeks on RTM is it really that necessary since not too long ago i believe the RTM on LL was 8 weeks?

Now Muscle mass is the other one, thats the safer avenue, the more you have the higher your metabolism and the easier it is to control weight, this is why after this diet i plan to go weight train.

Yes, but very difficult to gain muscle without eating loads! And even more difficult for us ladies to gain muscle :sigh:

The important thing to remember is that though leptin, ghrelin, insulin etc will make us desire more food by way of cravings, hunger etc, we still control what we put in our bodies, and the rough estimate of 3,500 cals (very rough estimate BTW) still pretty much applies - once you've restored your metabolism via the refeed that is

Last edited:
KD can i ask you what the difference is between CD's RTM and LL im about to do it for 12 weeks is it the same on CD?

I know i just switched hte topic, but im just wondering about 12 weeks on RTM is it really that necessary since not too long ago i believe the RTM on LL was 8 weeks?

It's about 8 weeks on CD. I don't know a great deal about how LL or LT do the refeed. Cambridge do it by gradually increasing carbs and calories via Low GI until you get to 1500 calories. By then your metabolic rate should be back up there. Well, at 1500 calories anyway.

Though your metabolic rate has only a little to do with your setpoint.

Same principle i believe on LL, you start to reduce the packs until you hit the 1500 cal marker.

Im just thinking if its wise to use the CD program for RTM over LL. Im on a time frame before i go holiday. In theory it should not matter.

LL does this

3 packs one meal, then it becomes 2 packs then it goes to 1 and finally you are off it. Calories are about 1500 too im looking at the book now.

I agree setpoint is a mute point right about now

3 packs one meal, then it becomes 2 packs then it goes to 1 and finally you are off it.

Similar to CD then :)

I agree setpoint is a mute point right about now
Scientist have been shouting about leptin and the leptin receptors since it was discovered back in 1994. They even made a leptin injection, which actually worked!

Unfortunately, other problems with it, and it was very expensive!

The dieting world don't talk about it so much, because there are few answers to the 'problem' and people find it depressing :rolleyes:

I don't find it depressing at all! I was so excited when I first heard about it, because I understood what was happening so could find my own answers.

What bothered me was not knowing about it, and thinking I was going crazy.

BTW (can you tell this is my favourite subject :D), this time frame thing:

My CDC said it was about 6 months. She told me this 4 years ago, but I suspect it was just a word of mouth thing.

Others say longer.

I think Lyle (who is my guru and very well qualified in these things), says it takes a few years.

The National Control Registry states that people who maintain for 5-6 years are more likely to keep it off forever.

This could well be to do with the bodyset. That would fit in well. But it could also be a change of habits etc.

That's the trouble with dieting research. It's incredibly hard to get definite answers as there are just too many variables.

I certainly can tell KD its a huge passion of yours yes lol. Now i know where to come lol

Still its good somebody has taken the time to research it for us on here, im greatful for that :)

I certainly can tell KD its a huge passion of yours yes lol. Now i know where to come lol

:D I have a few passions :D

They say that successful maintainers who have lost lots of weight, often make weightloss issues a lifetimes work. This think this often is the case.

I for one became a CDC (eventually), moderate a couple of dieting forums, but my passion is really in researching dieting myths.

Icemoose has also gone much more into the whole 'mindset' of dieting, qualifying as a NLP coach (Master?) and writing a book about it.

Even our Porgeous has seemed to have put her passion into the clothes side :cool:

Interesting I think :)

Anything that helps people keep it off after a lifetime of struggle is worth it.

Interestingly enough i know a man (friend) who has trained with Paul Mckenna and i quizzed him about the "i can make you thin" TV show, apparently it has a 70% success rate, that is something worth looking into as well especially since its logical, eat slowly and consciously that is the message, chew your food 20 times before eat swallow.

So yes i can see how it influences people, its make me more aware of dieting issues and its certainly interesting indeed.

Interestingly enough i know a man (friend) who has trained with Paul Mckenna and i quizzed him about the "i can make you thin" TV show, apparently it has a 70% success rate,

Though I believe in many of the techniques PMcK uses, I don't believe the 70% success rate.

Not enough proper scientific evidence. Not been doing it long enough for a long term study. His word against the scientists. He is a great salesman though...give him that :D

And, as I say, many of the techniques that he uses (which mainly aren't really his techniques!) are good practice for a lot of folk.

I attended a education evening for GP's and the medical profession held at the hospital where I work. A professor in obesity who works in the NHS and runs obesity clinics was due to give a talk, but unable to attend, so his registrar took the talk. Although a lot of it went directly over my head as it was very scientific, he mentioned this drive, and it's driving me mad as I can't remember either his name or the what he called this drive!!

Anyway, he said it took 6-12 months until your body was no longer driven to get back to your highest ever weight and the setpoint was reset.

I know that my post is probably actually pointless now, as KD has comprehensively answered this question already, but thought I'd let you know anyway as it was interesting to me to hear somebody obviously very qualified state this point that until now I also thought was a bit of a "they say" point! ;-)

Back