100 is a huge number

But I guess like anything else, you just have to attack it one step at a time.

HI :wavey: Century people, can I come play with you?

OK, 50 year old ex pat English person, lived in Canada for 2 1/2 years, here. I know that I have over 100 pounds to lose, but to be honest, and I've promised myself with you guys, whats the point in being anything else but honest, I'm not sure how big the problem is:eek::eek: My scales measure up to 21 and a half stone, :argh: and when I stand on they just say "Get off Fatty" and show an error.

Now don't laugh, and I know I'm not the only one who has done this (OH GOD I HOPE I'm NOT THE ONLY ONE:eek:) But when you stand on the scales and rest some of your weight on the sink, it doesn't take much to make them measure a weight. Based on this very scientific evidence, I'm currently saying that 3 weeks of dieting hasn't shifted any weight, but I suppose it's possible that it has.

So my first target is a simple one...............get the scales to register a weight to see just how big the problem is.

Currently I'm following a Shapes type diet, counting carb points, but it doesn't feel like it's working at all, so maybe I need to look for something else. I go mad trying to straight calorie counting, but units are OK. I'm really looking for something that doesn't take much brain power:)

The good things about watching weight out here, the chocolate is not nice, so we have 'aid packages' sent from the UK every so often with proper Cadburys chocolate, it gets stored in a tin, and there is a strictly controlled 2 square a day rule (broken only by me on the odd PMS day) I don't eat other sweets, so that's easy.

We live out in the middle of no where so fast food isn't!!!! Takes us 40 minutes to drive to the nearest take away, so we usually only buy fast food if we have been out, less than once a month.

OK I'm now rambling and going into far to much detail, but just to say living in isolation is great, but it would be great to have a support network to help me on this long journey. I have a great reason to lose the weight, a new horse that I want to ride, I know some of it went on because of being laid up with my knee last year, and through giving up smoking recently, so that should be reversible.

Any suggestions for a 'quick start' diet to get this old body in line, would be great. Then need to find something that I can live with long term, as I know that it's going to take a while.

Just a quick pop in to say hello :wavey: Will try and post more tomorrow (off to bed now) but wanted to make you welcome :D

Hiya :)

OK, 50 year old ex pat English person, lived in Canada for 2 1/2 years,
Oooh, I went to Canada a couple of years ago. I loved it! Best holiday ever. Even better than my New York and Florida trip :clap: Didn't want to come home...wanted to stay forever :D

Currently I'm following a Shapes type diet, counting carb points, but it doesn't feel like it's working at all, so maybe I need to look for something else.
Good plan batman :clap:

I go mad trying to straight calorie counting, but units are OK. I'm really looking for something that doesn't take much brain power:)
Do you have a calorie counting website in Canada. I loved WLR that we have in the UK. What about fitday? I found counting calories to be really easy. Using the WLR software I could enter groups of foods. Took me about a minute a day to add up everything.
The good things about watching weight out here, the chocolate is not nice, so we have 'aid packages' sent from the UK
:D Do they drop them from the sky...emergency rations from the Red Cross :D

We live out in the middle of no where so fast food isn't!!!! Takes us 40 minutes to drive to the nearest take away,
That's good :clap: Or you could walk and burn off the calories :D

but it would be great to have a support network to help me on this long journey.
And you've found one :clap:

Hope you find all the determination that you need, and well done for the ciggie quit :clap:

There is a website called Sparkpeople :rolleyes:(I think) which is a free calorie counting site on your side of the pond. It might be worth taking a look to see if it could be of benefit for you. However, we here on Minimins are a real friendly bunch so we would still appreciate the chat:D

Folks like KD are so much better at support and motivation than me, :pI tend to get the words out completely wrong :eek:but I'm very well intentioned I promise;)

Hi there - good luck, whatever plan you choose. Depends on your lifestyle, willpower etc etc I guess ...... Great thing is there is so much choice and info available (thank God for internet!!).

PS - why not get weighed at doctors then you'll see difference in scale - or measure yourself and use that as a comparison.

You can get your start weight when you get your thyroid checked next week.;)

Are certain medical conditions exempt from charges like they are over here. For example if you have certain thyroid conditions (but not all) you are exempt from prescription charges, same for diabetes. And if you qualify you are exempt from ALL charges for any medication that is prescribed for you.

Anywhooo - good luck with whatever way you choose (although I wouldn't recommend limb removal:rolleyes:), just keep us posted, 'cause we're nosey like that:D

New to the club

Hello there. I started TFR five weeks ago when I was 160kg's (352lbs). I had peaked at 166kg's (365lbs) before I started a health regime. The health regime was having a positive effect but I became impatient for faster weight loss! I'm now down to 140kg's (308lbs) so I'm well on the way to being a bonafide century clubber! I've set myself an initial target of 115kg's (253lbs) as that would mean a half century in kg's!!! This diet is hard at times but the results keep me going.

Welcome, I had the same problem with my scales not registering, I kept getting EE which means overload, overload.

So I started my own low calorie diet making sure I drink plenty of water and hey presto near 3 wks down the line my scales are singing and dancing at me, and I can final register my weight and its been falling off me ever since.

I've managed to rope my family in to help, so they know not to off me treats and unhealthy foods. I've had my blood test check with the doctor and they were'nt very good, she found some sugar in the results. I'm hoping to start CD fairly soon, in the hope that I can get rid of a few stones. Good luck in your weight loss journey.

Maureen4200040:D

Isn't TFR total food replacement?

You can get your start weight when you get your thyroid checked next week.;)

Are certain medical conditions exempt from charges like they are over here. For example if you have certain thyroid conditions (but not all) you are exempt from prescription charges, same for diabetes. And if you qualify you are exempt from ALL charges for any medication that is prescribed for you.

Anywhooo - good luck with whatever way you choose (although I wouldn't recommend limb removal:rolleyes:), just keep us posted, 'cause we're nosey like that:D

I don't know though, one leg must weigh a lot, I've got fluid build up in my bad one again, reckon that would drop a few stone:) Doctor is booked for Wednesday, so we'll see how that goes. As far as I know there are no exceptions to paying for drugs, but I do qualify for a partial rebate because we are low income.

Welcome, I had the same problem with my scales not registering, I kept getting EE which means overload, overload.

So I started my own low calorie diet making sure I drink plenty of water and hey presto near 3 wks down the line my scales are singing and dancing at me, and I can final register my weight and its been falling off me ever since.

I've managed to rope my family in to help, so they know not to off me treats and unhealthy foods. I've had my blood test check with the doctor and they were'nt very good, she found some sugar in the results. I'm hoping to start CD fairly soon, in the hope that I can get rid of a few stones. Good luck in your weight loss journey.

Maureen4200040:D

Wel I came across a set a scales on sale today, so bought them and WHOOPEE I register on them, in fact according to these scales the old ones should register me as well, go figure:rolleyes:

So now we know, current weight 302 lbs, my target is now to lose 125 lbs:eek: scary, but one step at a time

Back