10k challenge

Lucylu79

Gold Member
Just thought I'd start this as its what I'm currently training for.
I hope to get outside soon but for now my training is on the treadmill.

First run of 2013 - pleased with a 4.5mile non stop with interval training at the 2 mile point. I am a snail but its not about speed for me, it took me 55.29 today.

If anyone's training for a 10k let me know!

Well done :) I did the great north run in September & I remember the 10k marker as everything after this was painful as I got blisters, but I finished it.
I remember telling myself that I would carry on with the running but sadly I didn't so I've promised myself to start it up again & I want to do a 10k a few lbs lighter as I really believe its an enjoyable distance.
Keep it up

Hi

I'm currently training for a 10k race I've got in March. It's not to bad once I actually start running but getting out of bed on these dark mornings is hard!

I think I'm also going to enter race for life this year and I've already registered for the great south run in October :)

So, my training hasn't really started yet - I have had awful knee pain after my run and Its proved to me that I can't just stop and start when I like! I couldn't hardly put weight on my right knee on tues!

Waiting to recover fully and then i'm going to start again except this time at a slower pace for a few weeks before starting an actual plan!

I've been training since September and have run 4.4 miles or maybe a little more, I'm going to attempt a 10k tomorrow, will let you know how I get on, I'm doing a marathon in October so really hope this 10k goes well

So my first outdoor run in probably about a year and it was A-mazing!

Absolutely loved it, especially as I was starting to dread the dreadmill!

Managed about 3.6, not 100% sure as mapmyrun didn't work so I've tracked it at home. Took me about 45 mis again I think!
I will be tracking it properly next time!

I completed my first 10k last October without training at all and just decided to go for it. I had lost about 4 stone by this stage and I finished it in 1hr 15. Yes thats slow, but I didn't die and I didn't train lol. I live in Inverness and it's so cold and dark up here in the autumn/winter months, I have still not registered for the March 10k up here due to lack of training but am doing a 5km later that month in which I hope to beat my previous time of a shockingly slow 35 mins. I will then be doing the 5x50 challenge from the end of March through May. During these months, I have committed to run 5km a day for 50 days, a feat previously completed between September and October last year. I am contemplating the Edinburgh 1/2 marathon in April and have registered for the Edinburgh 10km in May. Good Luck with all your training, I'm not confident in the winter months due to black ice and so I'm a seasonal runner lol. Have lost 4.5 stone since December 11 and am now at target. Would like now to get a washboard stomach to go with the size 8/10 clothes I can now fit into :)

Ok so I'm still really sore from my first run on sat but non the less I wanted to do something on the treadmill, seemed so boring after being outside and my legs hurt so bad so I only managed a mile, it's something at least!

I'm signed up to do a 7 mile multi terrain race in match (not technically a 10k but not far off!)

I was a keen runner before I got pregnant and have now pretty much not done any running for about a year so this will be a bit tough!

I went out for a run on Sunday and did just over three miles, and it wasn't as bad as I thought - although I can feel my muscles now!!

I'm impressed that anyone can do a 10k on a treadmill, I would get way too bored!

Oh yes the Dreadmill as I like to call it these days....I will NEVER forget that long boring 10k on it, how I did it I shall never know!

Oh yes the Dreadmill as I like to call it these days....I will NEVER forget that long boring 10k on it, how I did it I shall never know!

Well - hats off to you, I definitely couldn't do it! I struggle with the boredom for 10 mins!

Managed 10k on the treadmill today, was going ok up till mile 5 and my knees couldn't take any more, had to power walk the last mile making it a long 80 mins! Never mind, it's a starting point to beat I guess!

So I'm going to try and o some easy runs for a while, see if my knees get better after some easier runs.

30 mins easy run tonight, just over 2 miles.

My knees are ok but my head isn't. Going to have to go back to the doctors with these headaches?

After some advice please ladies... Im struggling with headaches after runs but im going to the docs tomorrow, hopefully its just a coincidence as I don't want or need anything else hindering my training (or lack of!) What i'm really after is advice about my knees.... Some of you may remember that I struggle with them a bit but the other day I ran 10k on the dreadmill and at mile 5 they just went, I couldn't put weight on them and had to walk the last mile - Torture as I was doing ok up until then!! I'm not a fast runner - it took me 80mins to do 10k in the end but I really worried about my knees and have only done a 2miler since. Do you think I should 'start again' and train like abeginner and see if it helps rather than trying tooo hard too quickly?? Ive had a month off from running, not a natural runner and perhaps expecting 10k is too much? Whats your thoughts?? Should probably mention that I had no knee pain the day after, just whilst running. xx

Hey, I'm a runner as well, I get problems with my right knee. Turns out I under probate my feet (there's a simple test for this so I recommend googling it) I bought asics trainers specially made for underpronating and it's helped loads. If I'm doing long runs (usually 5km+) I take an ibuprofen before it just to help with the swelling. I've got a knee support as well which I sometimes wear, these are really cheap from sports direct, think I paid £5 for mine and rrp was £30. Headaches are usually from dehydration, so make sure you drink plenty of water before your run and after. I don't drink during as it upsets my tummy, but try it. Also, if you do take ibuprofen before the run for your knee it will sort your headache out! Hope this helps! x

Back