10k training!

i was supposed to do a 3 mile run today, but tommorow is attack and combat day so not enough time so i will do the 3 mile tommorow instead...

so far no ache. so far so good.

i have another running shirt i could try, but while theses burns are still sore it wont make a difference so im gonna have to try it in a few days. the one i wore today was a sleeveless addidas tank, close fitting, the other tshirt is a size bigger than what i am so its going to be comfier and hopefully no burns.
actually walked out of the gym like this

<-> my arms being the arrows.... not a flattering look, and i got funny looks. tried putting my arms down and it hurt too much :(

speaking to one of the instructors though, he did say that the actual run time will be good if im doing 1 hr 15 at an early stage, and that ill find it easier running on road than treadmill :) just need to get the run route and go for it. if i need to walk for a minute ill do so, but ill always get back to the running soon as i can

edit: looked at karrimor gear on sports direct and it looks great, love the prices too. ill go into town on friday to have a look in store for these

Yes your doing great Gina!!!
Most of my running gear is Karrimor now, really nice & light.
I always find outside running a lot harder than treadmill work. I have recently started running outside again after solely using a treadmill for months and the difference was huge. Just take it easy.
It is so much nicer running outside though.

uhhh

just checked the info pack properly and it says you have to track the miles yourself :S my pedometres only registered 2.5 out of 5k alst time, and theres no route map in the pack.

HELP!!!

missed a run yesterday, was one of my "big" 5 mile runs too....

been ill lately and for a few days it was ignorable, yesterday though wasnt. i planned on doing an exercise class before the run, and i lasted half an hour of very low impact before it got too much. half of that was spent thinking i was going to be sick... :( still dont feel 100% but im not as weak today so ill go to a weights class instead of a run. ill attempt my regular weights, whether ill manage or not i will see...

completed another 10k run today :)

yet another blister on my foot. the same foot, the same place as last time :(

how do you runners stop these blisters coming up?

edit: now im confused. just took off my trainers and socks, my left foot was all bloody. i didnt feel any pain in that foot, nor was it like that this morning. dosent hurt or anything, im just confused how it got like that without me noticing anything! :S just cleaned the blood off and theres no cuts on my foot that i can see either. very confused.

Last edited:
Well done on your run :)

Do you wear proper running socks? They are meant to help prevent blisters.

Double layered walking or running socks or two thin pairs of normal socks. The inner one sticks tight to your feet, and the outer one absorbs the rub of your shoes :) Works for me when I'm hillwalking :)x

two pairs might do the trick!

there is some more runs im interested in doing....
5k on the 7th may
10k on the 30th september

these are maybes...
i know these are hard, but thats why i want to do it. they are also part of preston guild. only come around once every 20 years. ill be 42 then, will i be able to do these runs at that age? maybe, maybe not...
these ones will need alot of training :(

half marathon on the 28th of october
10 mile on the 18th november.

the first two i know i can do, and thinking if i can do a half marathon when it comes to it, then a 10 mile wont be as tough.
dont know what to do about the last two...

You have plenty of time to train for a half marathon. It is hard work thou and takes up quite a lot of your time, but also very rewarding :)
It is also a battle mentally rather than physical, but as your at 10k stage your at a good starting point.

its £17 to enter the half, non refundable.

the 10 mile wont be easy, but i can do 6 already. its just an extra 4 to push on really. do able.

i have until september to think about it. might ask my brother if he'll do the half with me, hes done a half before as his first big run
wont be able to keep up with him, but i can give it a go

I found signing up for a challenging race a great motivator. It's worth the race fees for the extra motivation alone.
I'm sure you'll be fine and well ready for the challenge come race day!

i dont mind paying £17 for a run, ill get sponsers for that one!
i managed to get my mind block to go past 5k, i can get to go to a half marathon too. time and practise.... eep.

a half marathon was my long term goal, to try in a few years- not this soon. this is the guild run though, everyoen who does this is involved in the history of preston! i also want a shiney medal for taking part in all 4 runs.

15k run today, didnt feel as tough today. didnt take the time down, the treadmill stopped abut half way through so the timings all messed up :( im not bothered about timing when its the race day, its finishing it that matters to me. even if i have to power walk it ill finish it. i dont like to give up :)
15k run, followed by body combat and pump. new upped weights today too. chest weight is now 17kg from 12kg, and back weight is 19kg from 12kg. feels easier with a heavier weight for some reason :S
one thing ive noticed, im able to take on more weight to my legs now since i started running.

did that a while back on my first ever 5k, id been looking forward to it all month and the night before i slipped and hurt my back really bad. walking was agony, couldnt run if i tried. so i walked it. well hobbled round like an old woman! took a long time but i was just glad of a sit down! what bugged me though, i shouldnt have been last to finish. someone just before me didnt want to run the 2nd lap so she gave up and said shes not doing anymore. my back was agony and i still gave it my all! took a week to walk proper without hobbling around too :(

15k, wow that's impressive!!!!! Be careful not to overdo it though, running big distances too quickly can cause injuries. How long did it take you?

first time i accidently pressed stop instead of pause on the treadmill so the first timing i forgot, but on restarting from where id ended the timing was 1hr 12 mins on the 2nd time i started. the first time i have no idea though....

i dont have any more runs for two days now, so im taking avdanrtage of my rests and concentrating on weights instead.

i didnt mind the distance, but i hate being sweaty!

im 3 weeks into the running so far, just building up distance as i go. its going well :) only had a minor blister and toe pain but nothing bad. the blister was off brand new trainers, had to throw my old ones away they ripped :( liked those omes too.... was a very sad time to see them in the bin.

a 5k run today, making an improvent! all running, no walking at all. not even for a second :D *is pleased*

buuuuuuut

hello blisters. only way i could get through attack and combat with both feet blistered up was to pad my feet out with toilet paper, wrap it under my sock aswell as out of my sock. my feet look really wide now. kept them padded nicely though ^_^

Hello :) well done on the 10k. I bought a treadmill 3 weeks ago and been doing 5k 5 days out of 7, god knows how i would do more, Im a jelly mess after it! I do it in about 39 mins, can't wait to get better an be able to run it all. Most I've ran in one go in 10mins :) any tips gratefully appreciated, Im training for the nairnshire challenge in just which is 12mile run then 18miles on a bike over moors. I think i may need my head checked. X

Sent from my Samsung galaxy s2 using MiniMins

all i did was just build up gradually. i couldnt run for longer than 5 mins to begin with! im on my 4th week of training now so in that time and sticking to the routine (some days i have had to force myself into it!) ive gotten better at running. still havent dared to run outside yet.

i try and run the first 2.5k about 7/7.5km, 3 - 4k at 8.5/9km and the final 1k at 10km. i just build up the speed as i go :)

wow thats a brave challenge! id just about manage the run, the bike ride would finish me off :p

after ive done this 10k run in march, i will keep running that route at the weekends. i know a 5k route that way too so it all helps this torturous training :/ x

the big day is very soon.... 4 days! a little nervous, but only because i dont want to be the last to finish.

kept trying to speed up but i cant get past 1 hr 15 mins, its frustrating :(

got another easy jog on friday, and thats my final run before the big day. yesterdays run was a 10k and my legs are still acheing today.
after almost ever run ive noticed my toes are bleeding on my right foot but its not painful.

nervous! :(

Back