11stone to come off - lets get going!

Hi there. You seem prteey determined and you have a positive attitude to losing your weight which is good to see. However I just want to echo everyones advice. Why not reconsider and do it through cambridge or lightter life etc? I know lightter life does the counselling but I'm sure that you only have to say hello to a CDC once you have done all the initial stuff.

If you are really determined why not go and see your doctor and ask them to refer you to a diretician? Then at least you would have someone qualified to devise a low calorie diet for you without risking your health.

I hope I don't come accross as patronising or anything but I just think its a bit dangerous. in my past i have done some bizzare crash diets and ended up feeling rough and fainting beacuse of them. I can no look abck and laugh but if I would have fainted whilst driving then it could have been a very different story.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do and if you need any help or advice then you know where to ask!

Hi

I hope you don't think I'm being nosy. I must admit that I agree with the ladies and gents who have already replied to you.

I just wanted to add a long term perspective - losing the weight in the way you suggest will severely deplete your lean muscle mass - good muscle mass stokes your metabolism (which is why weight bearing activities as well as cardio aids weight loss and maintenance). Lose this and keeping the weight off is virtually impossible. Proper VLCDs (LL, CD etc) have good quality protein and ingredients to help maintain this lean muscle mass.

I speak both through personal and professional experience. Didn't really want to bring this up on here as I just want to be normal and not "that" girl - but I'm gonna use it as an example - don't mind "sharing" if it helps someone. I am a qualified fitness instructor so have studied this and seen it. Now for the personal bit - in 2005 I had cancer and 7 months worth of chemo - the steroids put the weight on and the muscle wastage (from both the chemo and lack of activity) have made it a struggle to get it off and keep it off - my metabolim has taken a battering. But the more I build up my muscles the easier it is becoming - this is because your muscles use more energy than fat and for hours after you have been working them your metabolism is stoked - so even sitting on the sofa watching TV you are burning more calories than your counterpart with the lean muscle loss

We ALL want the quick weight loss but we need to look at the bigger picture. What's the point of losing it if your body cannot physically maintain the loss?

Just another perspective to consider - please don't think I'm preaching

Good luck with whatever you decide on here. I've not been posting long but I know that the people on here will not judge, just support

Ails xx

Hi

Not going to harp on about the health aspects of launching yourself into a food based 500 cal eating plan cos the difficulties (dangers) have been highlighted by others and I have to say I agree with their sentiments.

Just want to tell you a little more about the role of the CD/LL/LT 'Counsellors' You say that you don't do dr's and I get the idea you wouldn't want to invlolve yourself with counselling sessions.

LL is therfore not for you as the plan involves a 2 hr Cognitive Behaviour Therapy session in a small group of others embarking on the plan at the same time as you. I lost most of my weight with LL and have to say didn't really gel with my C and found her presentation of the Therapy a bit 'parrott fashion' I did however really bond with my group and we still meet weekly for a chat even though none of us do LL now.

Don't know too much about LT but my understanding is that you visit your local pharmacy each week (fortnight?) to collect your packs and get weighted and discuss any problems you may have with the diet.

CD, which I am SSing with now to get all the way to target; is IMO has a flexible approach. Your C will be a very normal, downtoearth person who has lost weight on CD. Therefore will understand totally how you are feeling. Your first visit would be a little longer while they explain the plan and weigh you and fill in medical forms. You may need to get a consent from signed by your GP, if you are on certain medication or if your BMI is over a certain figure, not sure what it is but a CDC will advise. Visits after that will, as with LT; be a matter of collecting packs and jumping on their scales followed by jumping up and down with glee when you see the loss! The CDC will not try to get inside your head, they are there to offer support when you need it and will always provide an ear for you if you want it. They will not force this upon you they are not 'qualified' Counsellors. Some dieters will be 'needier' than others my best friend is a CDC, some of her clients touch base with her each day either by text or phone or e-mail others just stop by once a fortnight. She's happy to support all types of clients and I think she's quite typical.

So in a nutshell with CD and LT, you needed get too involved with a 'Counsellor' but you may find that as you get good days and tougher days when following a VLCD, that maybe you might find sometimes you need someone to call on in between 'collection days' so CD may be more suited.

Good luck:)

Fattytothinny,

If you look at my ticker, you'll see that I lost my weight WITH food. Not as fast as with shakes etc, but with a healthy food intake and not dropping below 1,000 and often eating far more besides. If you've 11 stone to lose, you'll be surprised at how much you actually CAN eat and still lose weight. Then, as your weight lowers, your calorie needs do too, and you reduce down until you get to 1,000 minimum. Eating less than that is futile as you'll not lose any faster, and will actually probably lose slower by going into starvation mode where your body will cling onto each calorie swallowed for dear life fearing famine.

By deliberately starting off with just 500 calories, what will you do when you hit an inevitable plateau?

Please reconsider. OK losing weight with food mightn't be as quick as a VLCD, as it took me 20 months to lose a little more than you seek to, but you'll be also learning good food habits for the future as you go along.

Yes, totally agree with Maintainer, of course losing weight can be done successfully with food, but not safely with just 500 cal of food. If you're not keen on a VLCD food replacement diet then reconsider your cal allowance you'll still lose lots of weight and stay healthy.

Check out the other threads and read about members sucessful losses with WW and SW etc etc.

thank you everyone, for your points :) ill take them all on board, but the whole commercial side of it is not for me :)

DAY 1 - PASSED woo! drank 6litres water, and within my calorie limits

Today is a bit harder, cravings have started, and a headache that will not shift, so just got to get through this wall, mind is set firmly on Christmas, and being less than I am now, not more!!

thats a job well done, really! now thats just 1 of the few "harder" days of the diet passed by. just a couple more and you'll understand why we are all sticking with our VLCDs.

stick with it and yes YOU WILL be lighter by xmas like you desire!

Hi ya Fattytothinny

Just a litltle hello to say well done to you and hubby on starting to improve your life by loosing weight

Do whatever you can to loose the weight as you will feel so much better

No preaching from me you are a big girl (from one big girl to another tee hee) and i wish you every success on your journey to slimdom

Good luck and a hug

Shaza

hello :D

DAY 2 - PASSED

evenin spent talking about all the food we wished we could have haha talkings calorie free, yes? LOL

cravings today have gone, fancy sumthing but can go without, managed 6litres yesterday, so fingers crossed, for a good day today :D

hope everyone else is doing well :D

morning:D

DAY 3 - PASSED

had one blinder of a headache all day yesterday, just on the other side of my head this time for fun lol so much so, had to close eyes occasionally, but its gone WOO!!!!!!!

managed 6 litres again, and under calories,

today, mentally i want something, but im not hungry, not craving, just getting thoughts of things, but theyll pass once i get busy at work im sure, and at night, by the time i really want something, its too late to go for it, so so far so good!

onwards we go :D

Hi there

You really do sound focussed on losing your weight, but as everyone has already said, Im not sure this is the way to do it.

If you dont fancy CD or LL have you thought of WW or SW, where you can still eat. Ive a lot more to lose than you have but have lost my weight so far on WW and am eating more now than I ever have been.

I dont go to classes as that whole thing doesnt appeal to me at all so I do it alone, with ofcourse the help of MInimins :)

thats just it tho, if i am allowed 1 pack, i would have 10, seriously not good at controlling lol or having multipacks in the house, because husband cant have an open packet of anything, we are food junkies :O LOL

hello :D

DAY 4 - PASSED

6litres of the watery stuff, no headaches, feeling cracking, and loads of energy, skins looking bright.. hubby the same, 3 days til first weigh in, cant wait!

oh i cant wait to see what both of your weigh in results are. i suspect you are going to be soooo surprised and chuffed!

HIya

Just curious to know what your eating - or are you not? Bit confused! lol

Good luck with your journey.

DAY 5 - PASSED-ish

only managed 3.5 litres of water as ran out of squash and plain water is a nightmare to get down, so back on that today

i was going for 500 cals liquid diet, but have had some toilet troubles shall we say LOL so supplementing now with some food, cereal, quorn etc, still to 500, and see, cos im not going to be having another day of that again! LOL

liquid only isnt feasible longterm, and it was hard to get to 500 cals, somedays barely 200 :( so rather than go so low that it makes me hungry and then risk coming off, im going for 3 meals, in total of 500 cals, and add a bit of exercise, plus water, which normally i do around 6litres :D

once the bulks off, then ill add more cals, to relearn food routines properly, if i lose on average 5ibs a week, i could be in the 14stones by christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and a few more !!!!!!!!!!! and my fella will be done completely, so got to keep on the ball

weigh day monday :D

Hiya just like boofalo, i'm still a bit confused on what you are doing for nourishment. As long as you are getting the vitamins and nutrients daily and the right amounts of water, it would be fine. but be careful on how much squash you take in. loads of sugars, among other things!

hope your first weigh in goes great. keep us posted.

Back