150lbs to go

Kims Dad

Katie suggested that I start a diary to record my weight loss progress. After a little bit of deliberation I decided that by writing my successes (and possibly failures) down it might spur me on and prevent me from giving up on yet another weight loss campaign.

I suppose that I'd better introduce myself first, I'm Kims dad, a 47 years old single parent of (suprisingly enough) Kim who's 9 years old. I work full time which means Kim has to go to breakfast club at 8am and stay at afterschool club until about 6pm, because of this we tended to eat takeaways two or three times a week and didn't eat too healthily on the other days either. Microwave meals or pizzas were often eaten as they required little preparation time giving me more time to spend chatting to Kim before she went to bed each evening.

I've always been overweight and gradually over the years I'd have to invest in trousers with larger waists plus larger shirts each year. I knew I was overweight but enjoyed the ease of convenience food and takeaways although the bank balance was shrinking as my waist increased.

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure a few years ago and put on medication which helped so I felt that instead of losing weight I'd let the medication do it's magic instead.
Kim tells me that I snore very loudly all through the night and often appear to be choking in my sleep. I believe that I might have developed sleep apnea as I'm always tired and never seem to get a refreshing nights sleep.
On December 1st my doctor informed me that I now have impaired glucose tolerance which means that I'm heading towards being diabetic, however if I was to lose weight I could delay, or maybe even prevent myself from becoming diabetic. My blood pressure would hopefully decrease and my sleep problems might well disappear aswell if I was to lose weight. He asked me to jump on the scales and to my embarrassment I weighed in at 161kgs (355lbs or 25 stone). I agreed that I need to lose weight but when the Doc mentioned Xenical I decided that I would accept any help available and took him up on his offer to prescribe me a months supply of tablets. I collected them from my local chemist on the evening of 2nd December and have been taking them for almost a week now. I'm not sure if they're working yet as I've been very careful with the amount of fat I've been eating each meal and haven't yet had any side effects. When I jumped on the scales this evening (for the hudredth time since I started my healthy eating campaign) I was delighted to see that my weight has reduced to 154.5kgs (341lbs or 24 stone).

I haven't done any excercise at all (and don't have the energy to do any either) however as my weight drops further I hope to start walking a bit more each day with a lot more at the weekends.
I still eat three meals a day with breakfast being a bowl of muesli with semi skimmed milk plus a banana instead of a breakfast baguette full of sausage, bacon, fried egg, mushrooms and tomatoes that I used to enjoy most days.
Lunch has been a low fat pot noodle most days (chicken and sweetcorn today) with another banana and a satsuma plus a muller rice or a low fat yoghurt.
Dinner usually revolves around a jacket spud with either tuna and salad, or a piece of fish with vegetables or low fat beans. I don't drink tea or coffee so instead of fizzy pop I've been sticking to plain water.

I must admit the first few nights I did feel very hungry at night and almost felt like nipping downstairs for a snack but managed to hold out and for the last few nights I've felt ok. I have to see the doctor again in two weeks time and would like to be able to lose another 7lbs over the next two weeks which should be achievable, however I've got a works Christmas dinner tomorrow night and on the 18th December I'm going out to an Indian Restaurant with some ex work mates but I reckon that I'll be OK. I'm not going to fail this time, for the sake of my health and my beautiful daughter I will be 150lbs lighter this time next year and if you, dear reader feel that I'm going astray I give you my permission to beat me around my head and get me back on track.

Hey Kims dad!!

Well done for writing a diary! Wat an amazing story! It sounds like u r doing fantastic already! I have every faith in you that you can do it!

I usually write a load of rubbish but it helps me get stuff of my chest when im havin a bad day!

I found it very inspirational to read u r a single dad! Kim must be very proud of you!

Good luck on your journey mate! Cant wait to hear the results on your first weigh in!

love katie

Hi Kims dad and welcome to the forum. You sound like your determined to change your lifestyle which is the biggest step towards a more healthier you.
As for exercise you will be amazed how even at your current weight you can incorperate a little into your day without rally noticing it, when you walk up the stairs come down and up again instead of just going up once, stupid it may sound but you've already done a bit more exercise than you were before, little by little as you shrink you will find it easier and getting yourself into a routine is always good. Try and think if you can walk to wherever you want to go rather than drive even if its slowley at first again don't push yourself too hard at first or yu will hate it and be reluctant to continue but baby steps will get you there. When I first changed my lifestyle I couldn't walk more than a few steps withoout my back giving me excrutiating pain now I walk miles every day and have a very active job, I pick winkles for a living on the shores of Isle of Skye so no flat surfaces here...ha ha.
You can and will do it and your beautiful, precious daughter will have a happy healthy daddy.
We are all here to help you along your journey.
Lastly what a fantastic loss in your first week.
xxxx

wow... what an amazingly inspiring post... had me in tears!! your such an inspiration for starting... and really hope that you are able to continue with this, and keep going until you reach your Goal!

we are all here to help you, and make sure you keep coming on here and posting... its amazing how much support you can get from this site, and the friends you make along the way... im truely blessed to have met some hopefully life long friends...

YOU CAN DO THIS AND YOU WILL!!!

and yes as you go along, and get lighter, you will find it easier to exercise.
(it really does make such a difference!!!!)

why not get a wii fit, when you get down to (i think...) 23st.. (might be a little more....)
and have 1/2 hour -1 hr on that when you have a moment in the evening...
i like it now (ive got the fit plus) and i can watch my normal tv, while doing 1/2 hour of step! its FAB!!
and then change it around a little if you can...

your an amazing person. and you will do this....

just out of curiosity.... (as i am one) can you afford a nanny?
you might be lucky enough to be able to get one who will be able to not only cook for Kim, but cook for you too... allowing you more time to be able to interact with your daughter when you get in...
you could get a nanny/house keeper or Au pair (much cheaper option)!!!
if you wanna chat about it let me know. im more than happy to give you as much info as i can!

Welcome the Minimins, and congratulations on turning your life around :cool: Sounds like Kim has a very loving dad, and may you be there for her for many years to come :wavey:

I've fallen off the wagon this last couple of weeks, a lot of turmoil and hospital visits. Cafeteria food and drinking too much alcohol have helped to bugger up my efforts. Reading your introduction has spurred me on KD, so I am going to restart meds and get stuck in!
Thanks for the inspiration and welcome.

Hi welcome to the forum and good luck on your weight loss journey.
Your health seems to be similar to mine and you won't believe how much healthier I am on since being on Xenical. Not only have I lost more than 2 stones, I have much more energy (and even quite like exercise!!) , my B.P. is much better, all my blood tests are coming back improved and I am told that I now hardly ever snore. ( I used to keep my family awake and could not stay away from home because I was scared other people would hear me!!!).
You will soon get used to your new way of eating and will be amazed at the results.
I can't wait to hear more of your story.
Cheers Shorty x

Hey KD :)

Was really nice to read your story so far, and I just wanted to say hey, and welcome to the forums. You'll get a tonne of support on minimins!

I'm Louise and I'm a single parent too, it's hard work eh? But totally worth it! I'm starting Xenical on Thursday, those are my days off so thought I'd play it safe and start then!

Congrats on your loss so far, that's brilliant. And here's to a new you!

Louise xx

Hi Kim's Dad. You can do this. I've lost 100 pounds - it can be done. If I can do it you can.

There are three pieces of advice I'd give you. First don't give yourself any other options - this is what you are doing - losing the weight. Do it on any diet you like (I've tried a few!) - have a diet plan b and c but, and here's the second bit - just keep going. Whatever happens keep going. Sometimes its easy, sometimes its hard but just keep going.

Finally sort out why you have overeaten. Have plans to deal with those troublesome times. For me I overate when I was sad or angry. So I came up with plans for dealing with those times. This is as much a mental battle as a physical one.

But just keep going and you WILL get there. Hope this helps. xxx

Hey Kims Dad :) i know it seems like you have a mountain to climb, believe me I feel the exact same way. But you just have to stick with it!

If it's any help my exercise, at the minute anyway is to try and get out for a 30min walk at least 5 times a week. The doctor said it didn't matter how fast I walked. So when you're feeling up to it it might be a gentle way to start. Horrible weather for it at the minute though :D

Thanks for all the kind words and support, all your posts have made me even more determined to stick to my healthy eating regime.

I've just returned home after my works Christmas dinner and I'm very proud as I gave away my Christmas puuding with fresh cream and refused any mince pies. I've even resisted jumping on the scales for a quick check before bed however can't guarantee I won't have a sneaky look at my weight before work tomorrow morning :)

Thanks again for all the support,

Kims dad

well done on resisting!!! your doing fab!!!

Kims dad! i feel so bad! I have not posted on here for a while! Ive bben sooo naughty myself!

Im sooo glad u have stuck to plan over christmas! I am so happy for! I hope u both had a fantastic time!

Your story really touched me and im lookin forwards to talkin to u in the new year!

hope u and kim r well!

Lots of love!

katie
xxx

Thanks for your kind words Katie. I've been logging on to the forum every day but haven't posted anything for ages myself.

I've been back at work since Tuesday which has helped by keeping my mind of food. All I've been taking to work to eat each day are a Morrisons "eat smart" chicken and sweetcorn pot noodle, a rhubarb yoghurt and a banana. I don't drink tea or coffee so have been drinking plenty of water during the day.

I bought myself a George Foreman Grill and have been living of Quorn burgers, jacket spuds and beans since Christmas (all low fat) but am really missing cheese. Prior to starting my diet I could quite easily eat half a pound of cheese with a packet of Ritz biscuits each evening. Now I find myself eating cottage cheese and jacket potatoes at the weekends whilst Kim tucks into her usual meals.
Kim's got 5 selection boxes left over from Christmas as she's not really a great chocolate eater, this time last year I would have probably finished them off for her by now however this year I'm not interested in them, they'll probably still be in the cupboard at Easter.

I hope that you have a lovely New Year, please keep in touch as you've been an inspiration to me over the last month.

Kims Dad

Ahh...I didnt know you had a diary thread! I remember welcoming you before.

You are doing fantastically well, I know how difficult meal prep can be, I too am a busy working parent.

What I tend to do is 'batch' cook lots of things and freeze individual portions (for 1/2 dependent if its something my 4 year old will eat!) I make things like cottage pie with quorn mince, bolognaise sauce. Thay all freeze really well, all you need to do is remember to get them out the freezer before you leave for work and reheat when you get in. Simplos!

Something else I use now and again is my slow cooker, which i can leave on a low setting doing the bizz whilst Im at work... So, you dont need to live on quorn sausages if you dont want to!

I wish you all the best for your continued weightloss in 2010. I will be interested to read more of your journey and maybe help a bit along the way x

Hi Kim's Dad,

Well done on your amazing weight loss for December. I am very impressed that you have been able to resist the Xmas goodies. I have to confess that I have been tempted and succumbed a few times and then been really annoyed with myself. I am telling myself that compared to what I normally eat over Xmas that it is just a tiny blip!!

Anyway back to the routine tomorrow and I am determined to make up for my weakness in January.

Happy new year and good luck to you.
Shorty x

what a lovely story to read bout me close to tears youve done brilliant so far! good luck in 2010!

xx

Hey kims dad hows it going? xxx

Back