2 yr old not sleeping in his own bed...

alfsmummy11

Silver Member
Arggggghhhhhh hope someone can help. My son has always slept well until i turned his cot into a bed due to him climbing out. Anyway since this transition 2 weeks ago he has not been sleeping but been really pushing his luck.

Last night he went sleep after 1/2 hour crying at his stairgate at the foot of it. Then woke at 1~4. no matter how many times i said back into bed like a big boy he kept screaming and screaming. In the end he feel to sleep after i opened his stairgate on his door and left the landing light on.

Tonight he screamed for 5 mins i went to hint put him in bed then he has been there for the past 10 mins. In sat outside his door as ive left the stairgate open. I think its to do with the stairgate being closed so going to leave it open tonight. If he comes into my room ill lead him back to his. Just wanted to talk to someone as im a single mum at my wits end. Tonight is major progress just hope it lasts xx

I cant offer any solutions but I really do feel for you I can remember this phase with my son its nightmare.

I suppose its something every parent goes through.

You will gets lots of helpful advice on here Im sure:D

peggypig said:
I cant offer any solutions but I really do feel for you I can remember this phase with my son its nightmare.

I suppose its something every parent goes through.

You will gets lots of helpful advice on here Im sure:D

Thank you. Tonight ive made progress. He feel to sleep in bed rather than at the door n has stayed there for an hour. I left the stairgate open so he obviously has issues when i close it. Im sure tonight he will wake up. Day 3 of operation sleep in own bed lol xx

Happy Holidays said:
I personally think you are doing the right thing, you are not giving in. Eventually he will understand & you won't have any problems. Have you tried buying him a new duvet or pjs to sleep in?

Thanks. I May buy him some new ones. I let him pick his b4 bed too. The thing that annoys me is that he understands perfectly what he is doing xx

Dunno if you are in a flat or a house but if you are in somewhere with stairs might be a plan to move the stairgate to there instead of over his door, or if you are in a flat, then move it to the bathroom door frame instead.

He will perhaps feel safer in his room knowing he can get out, like you said, leaving the gate open has made a difference.

When my daughter was little, I had the same problem, ended up utilising Ferber's progressive waiting method, not everybody's cup of tea, but successful in our case. She went to bed no drama and slept after only two or three nights of "Ferberising".
Jill xx

Maybe he sees the stairgate as another set of cot bars and ones he can't climb over like he did with his cot??

Stick with it though honey - it's tough being a single mum at times like this. You have no-one to play bad cop/good cop with!

Thanks all. I live in a house so have a stairgate on his room n top of stairs. The reason why i put it on was as he used to go into my spare room n bathroom. That's stopped now.

Last night he went to sleep at just past 7 then woke crying in his bed at 11. i went in and cuddled him and he went back to sleep till 6!!! hurrah!!! the ignoring him last night obviously worked. Lets hope tonight is the same xx

Back