2011 weigh loss challenge

charliesworld

Hi Guys :)

I have just embarked on a rather different weight loss challenge than I have done before. I have been on slimming world and weight watchers in the past (and lost weight) but have never been able to stick to it for more than a few weeks and the weight has gone back on plus some. I don't want to be stuck on a diet for the rest of my life sooooo I am going it alone - how exciting!!!! I'm going to try and incorporate a few things together in the hope that combining them will help me lose weight, get fit and healthy without me feeling deprived or fed up because I'm restricted with food.

My main goal is to feel good and I know exercise does that straight away but so does knowing I have eaten well, really enjoyed my food and not stuffed myself.

I have given myself a 4 week challenge to start off with which I started on saturday. Having bought myself a cross trainer for home just before Christmas my aim is to do at least 40km a week on it (about 2 hours of exercise). It might not seem much but I have not done any exercise since I got pregnant with my middle son who has just turned 3 so it's been a while and I dont want to put myself off by trying to suddenly fit in too much too soon. As a working mum of 3 it can be hard to find the time sometimes but I am determined to prioritise myself this year so I can get myself fit and healthy again.

On top of that I also want to not eat chocolate and crisps for the 4 weeks. I know I said I didn't want to restrict anything but they are the 2 things I can really overeat on so my thinking was if I can just avoid them for a few weeks it might just break the pattern.

My challenge started on saturday 15th Jan and so far I have only done 10km but I did have a mini family crisis which has stopped me being able to get on my xtrainer Sunday and Monday (I have to fit it in before the kids go to bed so I don't disturb them) and I am working late tonight so I might struggle this week getting the full 40km in but I'll give it a go. I'm planning on a nice long walk on friday weather permitting because I'm having the house spring cleaned so I'll have to do a bit of a substitute of exercise I think.

I have put weight on over the last 4 years. I have had 2 children in that time (just turned 3 and 20 months) as well as having an older son of 14. My weight didn't go on during pregnancy because I got gestational diabetes during both but afterwards (especially after my third) mainly due I think to be so tired and always putting the kids first. I would make sure they had a proper cooked meal and then couldn't be bothered cooking again so would reach for the junk. Even when I returned to work it stayed the same. I now find myself at my heaviest ever and feel pretty disgusted with how I look and at 3 stone overweight it's pretty bad.

My ideal goal would be to get down to 10 stone but my first will be to get into the overweight catagory rather than obese and then I'll aim for reaching the normal weight catagory. So first goal will be to lose 15lbs.

I don't want this to be a quick fix I want to sort myself out for life which for me is learning to choose healthier foods and really enjoying them so I want to eat more of them and building exercise into my routine. I also don't want to become obsessed with it all because it doesn't take long before it gets too much and I get upset things aren't moving quickly enough etc etc and I give up.

I'm also going to be looking through my cookery books and making sure I try at least one new recipe every week. For lunch today I have tried a chicken a cous cous salad which was yum and very filling so much so I didn't even finish it!!

So here goes. I have a lot to look forward to this year and I am hoping that as each event comes and goes there will be a little less of me each time :D

Well yesterday wasn't too bad, my meals were nice and healthy. After having the chicken and cous cous salad for lunch I had chicken and bacon pasta for dinner. I ended up having a chocolate bar which I'm annoyed about because I wasn't even hungry and didn't enjoy it that much BUT I was at home alone which is rare and normally I'd really stuff myself while no-one was around and I didn't do that so yay me :)

I didn't get chance to do any exercise either because I got home too late but I'm determined to get 10Km done tonight.

I have been really pondering recently as to why I find it so hard to lose weight. I've been at it most of my life but haven't succeeded yet. I usually start off feeling really motivated and knowing that I lose weight slowly see it as a long term thing. Slowly but surely I get demotivated because it all just seems such an effort for so little reward. It's so frustrating I wish I could just find the answer!!

OMG I feel terrible today. It was probably my own fault for watching that diet programme on channel 4 last night but I've woken up today feeling really fat and horrible. I started to think about looking into the whole cabbage soup diet thing but luckily managed to catch myself. It's like I'm obsessed today with how much I weigh and it isn't good.

I did well yesterday too with food and exercise in that I actually managed to do my 10km and had a hot choc instead of pigging out in the evening.

I don't want to eat loads of crap but I've already had my lunch and it's a long time until I have tea (usually around 7.30) so I really need to distract myself this aft. Why did I think it was ok to let myself get like this??!!!

Hey, your doing really well so far. I watched that crash diet programme last night as well. I have also tried cambridge diet and although i lost weight in the end I put it all back on and more as i had to stop the plan for health reasons. Hope your first week goes well. x

Hi Emma and thank you. And yes this week went well and I've lost 2lbs :) I didn't manage to complete my challenge in terms of the exercise but it was circumstances rather than me being lazy so I'll just try again today. I'm stuck in most of the day getting washing dry so I've no excuse.

Summary for this week is I've not wanted to overeat and have actually left food at some meals - it really depends on how hungry I am before I do eat. I also love the feeling you get from exercise I just haven't quite got to loving it while I'm doing it yet lol. My food hasn't been perfect but is a vast improvement on before and I'm pretty sure I got my 5 a day in most days and have been drinking much more water.

New week today and a new start on my challenge. :)

So far so good this week. I've managed to get on the xtrainer twice and my food has been mostly healthy with the occasional treat and no overdoing it. Even only had 1 krispy kreme donut yesterday when dp came home with 12!!!! I just didn't want any :)

I am still not in a good place emotionally about my body. I keep wishing I was further on than I am and getting very frustrated with myself that I let myself put on so much weight over Christmas when I know it takes so much effort and time to lose it again. It's going to take ages just to get back to where I was in November. BUT if I don't keep going I'll be like this forever won't I? I'm still struggling to stay away from the scales too which is not good!!

I've decided to try and keep a food diary so I can see what I've eaten on good weeks and bad weeks. Whether I'll keep this up is another matter because I seem to forget quite a lot of the time but lets see how it goes.

Yesterday:
Lentil and cheese wedges (lentils, onion, cheese, mixed herbs, s+p, stock)
Salad - salad leaves, rocket, radishes, pepper
Muller yogurt
Fish pie - fresh fish mix, carrot, spinach, cheese, chillies, mashed potato
Krispy Kreme donut
Exercise - 10km on xtrainer

Today
Banana
2 x Soup - cauliflower, broccoli, leek, onion with 2 ryvita
Apple, Muller yogurt

Last edited:
So far so good this week. I've managed to get on the xtrainer twice and my food has been mostly healthy with the occasional treat and no overdoing it. Even only had 1 krispy kreme donut yesterday when dp came home with 12!!!! I just didn't want any :)

I am still not in a good place emotionally about my body. I keep wishing I was further on than I am and getting very frustrated with myself that I let myself put on so much weight over Christmas when I know it takes so much effort and time to lose it again. It's going to take ages just to get back to where I was in November. BUT if I don't keep going I'll be like this forever won't I? I'm still struggling to stay away from the scales too which is not good!!

I've decided to try and keep a food diary so I can see what I've eaten on good weeks and bad weeks. Whether I'll keep this up is another matter because I seem to forget quite a lot of the time but lets see how it goes.

Yesterday:
Lentil and cheese wedges (lentils, onion, cheese, mixed herbs, s+p, stock)
Salad - salad leaves, rocket, radishes, pepper
Muller yogurt
Fish pie - fresh fish mix, carrot, spinach, cheese, chillies, mashed potato
Krispy Kreme donut
Exercise - 10km on xtrainer

Today
Banana
2 x Soup - cauliflower, broccoli, leek, onion with 2 ryvita
Apple, Muller yogurt

Hey Charliesworld :)

Just wanted to say Hi and well done! :)
You are doing really well! I know what you mean when you say you wish you was further along and getting impatient, I am exactly the same! Can be my own worst enemy at times! :eek:
Have you measured yourself? I tend to stick to measuring as I was a nightmare and the scales became my best friend and my enemy at one point last year :eek:, My weight goes up and down like a yo-yo and use to get so disheartened when they read the digits I didnt want to see! So this time I measured myself at the start and am due to measure myself again next week, which means it has roughly been 4 weeks, the scales have come out twice so thats a record for me :)! lol.
Hope you are having a good day!
xxx

Oh hi guys :) Thank you for your comments.

I had a bit of a disasterous day yesterday. I let self pity get the better of me and a trip to Asda in the morning resulted in me buying loads of hot cross buns and mini flapjacks - for the kids you understand - but I ended up grazing on them all day and didn't have a proper meal. I also didn't do any exercise even though I had plenty of time as I wasn't working yesterday. White bread and butter and more white bread and butter is not condusive to me getting a loss on the scales on saturday.

I've become a little addicted to the weight loss programmes - stuff like x-weighted and the biggest loser. I ended up watching a few of those yesterday. I really need to start turning the tv offand moving about more!! Makes me feel rubbish though when I've spent the day lazing around.

I've not been sleeping too well recently. I keep waking at 3/4am and my mind immediately starts racing with problems about work and my weight and then I can't get back to sleep. The kids generally get me up at 6 so I've been getting up tired which is never a good way to start the day. Today though I have woken up feeling a little more optimistic. I really need to let go of these negative thoughts I have all the time about myself. How on earth is anyone else going to see me as a slim, sexy professional woman when I can't see that myself? Luckily I have the loving mum down to a tee :)

Food for today:
Apple
Baby leaf salad leaves, olives, cherry tomatoes with smoked salmon and mackarel
Apple
Yogurt
Jacket potato, carrots, sprouts (I looooovvvveee sprouts lol - and I'm not even being sarcastic) cauliflower and chicken.

I'm struggling a little already as I'm tempted to nip to the shop for something sweet but I'm going to try and concentrate on work today - really need to figure out a way to get some more business. It would really take a load off!!!

Well I didn't end up going to the shop and have been really good the last couple of days.

Yesterday I had:
Chicken, baby leaves, radishes, tomatoes, cucumber, salad dressing
Creamy Beef Pasta, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes
Yogurt

Plus I did nearly an hour on my xtrainer and cmpleted my 40km a week goal :) I'm a bit achy today lol.

Mentally I've been feeling much more positive the last couple of days and can see that I'm moving forward. When I'm around other people I do feel really fat and horrible but I guess the more I can feel that it's only getting better the more likely I'll be able to actually lose the weight.

Weighed in this morning and I was a little disappointed to see I'd only lost 0.5lbs but it is a step in the right direction. Hopefuly next week will be better because I have been mosstly good this week.

We've got a trip out with the kids today which will probably mean eating out for lunch and I'm out with friends for a meal tonight so todays food won't be the best. Got my meal plan done for the rest of the week though and it's all good. Just got to order the food now :)

Wow it's been nearly a week since I was last on here! It's been a bit of a mixed week, I've kept up with the exercise but it's been a bit hit and miss with the food - mainly good though so I'm hoping for a loss tomorrow. I've been having loadsof water too so hopefully that will help things along.

I'll post tomorrow with my result!

Well that's another 1lb off. I'm pleased with that because I have had a lot of chocolate this week. I seem to be finding it easy to get the exercise in and have reduced what I'm eating alot BUT seem to be reaching for the bad stuff at night. Something I need to work on me thinks!!

Just over half way through the week and so far so goodish. I had a bad weekend but have been an angel since monday. Need to get some exercise in tonight and tomorrow though as I didn't do much over the weekend (I took my kids swimming for an hour and that was it!). Oh I really hope the scales are good to me on saturday as that will be the end of my first 4 weeks. I really want (long term) to be losing 1lb a week so I'm not putting too much pressure on myself - I want to be at/near target by Christmas but even just being half way there by the summer would be AMAZING. I measured myself too 4 weeks ago so it'll be interesting to see if I've lost any inches!

Just read your diary xx Keep up the good work :D:D Your postive attitude will get you there. I so know what you mean as every day is a struggle so im taking it day by day xx

Oh hello :) I didn't really expect anyone to be reading my diary so thank you for your lovely comments. I really appreciate it.

Ok this week yet again has been a mixed bag BUT food wise I've been mostly good (pigged out saturday and tuesday) and I've got 3 lots of exercise in - incuding Zumba last night. If you haven't tried it I would seriously recommend it. It was so much fun and I hardly noticed I was exercising I was enjoying myself too much trying to keep up with the dnace steps.

Although I haven't lost much weight I do feel a little better. I've lost that bloated feeling and my clothes are fitting slightly better. Still it feels like I have such a long way to go and it's hard sometimes to not feel down about it all. I am still dreaming of being slim so for now I'm keeping on going.

I've been trying out different vegetable soups and they have been really nice. :)

Hey x
Glad you ve had a good week and I tried zumba for the first time this week, I go to Curves and they do a zumbs class it was really good fun x
Have a good weekend and hope to catch up soon :)

I fancy going to zumba but I can't bring myself to go!

At leased it is another half pound down, I know how you feel though because I want big losses every week as I am rather impatient ;). You are doing well and we will all get there!

Good luck,

Beck x

Back